“Good, reasonable Italian around Times Square”
Review of Via Italia

Via Italia
Reserve with OpenTable
Via Italia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8,704 of 14,031 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Via Italian is a surprise find. I've been here twice, first when I took 6 teenagers last year, and the a solo trip today. E restaurant greets you as a quiet oasis and the service is courteous and prompt. All of the food has been well done. It ranges from red gravy Italian to some pretty good northern Italian. Tonight I had a chicken breast piccata, lemon sauce was light, fettuccine was properly cooked and it wasn't smothered in capers. Interesting that they also used artichoke hearts. Just a nice decent restaurant decently priced for ny.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Very bad experience! We were looking for a pizza place and stopped by the Via Italia.
Guy at the door got us in by telling that they have pizza. We were served with two frozen pizzas which were customized with few salami slices and some vegetables. The taste was very poor and we were charged 50$ (2 frozen pizzas + water).
A good place would have spine to say that they don't have pizza rather than selling frozen ones.

2  Thank Anna_Dziur234
Reviewed December 31, 2012

A warm and friendly little restaurant with attentive staff and great food.

We visited on more than occasion while staying in New York and had both table service and take-away.

All the menu items that we tried were delicious. The chef even went to the trouble of making garlic bread for my daughter although it wasn't listed on the menu.

Fresh bread & butter along with Parmesan cheese were thoughtfully provided with our take away meal even though I did not ask for them.

1  Thank Justmeplease
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had a wonderful waiter who made some excellent recommendations. The seafood pasta dish I had was excellent and very filling. The bread was wonderful too. I followed it with a light lemon sorbet which was served in a frozen lemon cut out with the sorbet inserted. Very creative.

1  Thank Debbie B
Reviewed October 10, 2012

What was great: a quiet restaurant that allowed us to escape the crazy city and enjoy a hot meal. Gracious service from the wait staff made us feel welcome. Salads were fresh and delicious, with inventive ingredients.
What was not great: the pasta was ordinary, with rather watery and flavorless pomodoro sauce. Spaghetti with meatballs had only two meatballs. No options for wine by the glass; we had to order a bottle.
And I am sorry to say, the restaurant smelled like my grandmother's basement.
The bill was a little high for a so-so experience.

1  Thank Ariz0nagirl