“Gracious service but mediocre food”
Review of Via Italia

Via Italia
Reserve with OpenTable
Via Italia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8,711 of 13,633 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Midtown
Washington DC
“Gracious service but mediocre food”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

What was great: a quiet restaurant that allowed us to escape the crazy city and enjoy a hot meal. Gracious service from the wait staff made us feel welcome. Salads were fresh and delicious, with inventive ingredients.
What was not great: the pasta was ordinary, with rather watery and flavorless pomodoro sauce. Spaghetti with meatballs had only two meatballs. No options for wine by the glass; we had to order a bottle.
And I am sorry to say, the restaurant smelled like my grandmother's basement.
The bill was a little high for a so-so experience.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Ariz0nagirl

• Polish first
North Berwick, Maine
“Wonderful anniversary dinner!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I just finished reading some of the poor reviews and was surprised to say the least, so I felt I had to put in my 2 cents! We also ate there because it was next to our hotel, so we didn't know what to expect. We did eat fairly early as we were going to the theatre, about 5:30, and had the place mostly to ourselves. The host was gracious, showing us to a private corner table and helping us with choosing a wine, the waiter attentive, but not intrusive, and the food was great. My husband said the veal parmegiana was the best, and the pasta dish that I had (can't remember the name!), was delicious and I had enough for lunch the next day. The bread we had was good enough that we gratefully accepted 2nds when asked! We were celebrating our anniversary, and afterward, we felt we had chosen just the right intimate, cozy atmosphere. We found the prices slightly more expensive than we're used to but comparable to other restaurants we had checked out, and we felt it was well worth it. After all, this IS New York, and we were enjoying it all! We would definitely go back to Via Italia.

• Visited June 2012
Boise, Idaho
“When in NYC we always visit Via Italia”
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

This review is based on our overall view of the restaurant over multiple visits not just this past visit. Great food although the wait staff can be a bit hit-and-miss. We dined quite late on a Sunday and we could tell the staff were hoping to get off early. Despite this the food was still excellent and the service was good.
We visited for my Mother's birthday several years back and she was treated like royalty. The staff made it one of the highlights of her trip!
I laugh at some of the reviews, "they put me under a vent!", being under a vent can be good or bad. You have to wonder why they didn't ask to be moved. "They thought we were tourists!", I know it might be shock to some New Yorkers but people from other parts of the country look at their checks and can add. I do not blame them for being annoyed but why assume it wasn't a honest mistake?

London, United Kingdom
“A Favorite When In NYC”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I've been eating at Via Italia on W 46th Street for over twenty years. The food is consistenlty outstanding, an excellent value and the staff courteous and welcoming. The main courses are authentic Italian, the bread a favorite and the wines reasonably priced. The dessert menu is a bit brief - I have a sweet tooth - and I don't care for cheese cake made with ricotta cheese but don't need the calories anyway. I can't imagine being in NYC without dinner at Via Italia.

Visited June 2012
“Not bad”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

This was our first meal after reaching NYC. We ate here as it was conveniently located next to our hotel and recommended by our concierge.

Price is ok and food was not bad. There were quite a number of Europeans customers than Americans.

We had a calamari fritti which was very good, and a couple of pasta dishes. The puzzling thing is there wasn't any pizza on the menu.