“Excellent, Fresh Sushi”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Tyrone, GA
“Excellent, Fresh Sushi”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife & I had a quick trip to New York City recently and wanted to find a Japanese restaurant in the area where we were staying. We found Iroha and decided to try it out. The atmosphere is fine but not like an exclusive, romantic restaurant. Like many places in New York you're seated very close to other people so a quiet, private conversation is not possible. The food and service, however, are excellent. My wife & I both had chirashi sushi which had a variety of very good & fresh fish and a nice size portion especially for the price and being in New York. The staff were very attentive and we lacked for nothing. We noticed a large number of Asian people eating there which is always a good sign in an Asian restaurant. When we return to New York we'll definitely try it again.

• Visited September 2013

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,393 helpful votes
“Seems popular”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Having been to the Japanese restaurants along the same street, we decided to try Iroha for lunch. This appears to be popular, especially with the Asian office crowd.

We both ordered the fried chicken set, which came with soup, rice and salad - the chicken was nice but could have been more crispy and had a little more ginger used in its marinade.

We were seated in a back room past the gents and there was also a strong smell of pee. Service was fast and efficient, and our ordered appeared at the table within 15 minutes.

• Visited August 2013
CT
“Interesting Eats”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

You will find a large selection of Japanese items that are not found in your run of the mill Japanese restaurant. We had a variety of dishes in addition to sharing a bento box. The food in the bento box was typical. The other items like the chicken and veggie filled omelet or the ribs were more unusual items. Our only complaint was the service. It was not as attentive. Perhaps that was because the restaurant was busy with the after theater crowd. We sat in the back room so it was quiet with the exception of one table. I would go back again.

• Visited May 2013
The Villages, Florida
“A Great Izakaya”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This place has been here for ages next to another great Izakaya next door, Sapporo. I would call this high end Izakaya but not the price. If you want a quieter place than the next door, Sapporo, this is a better place to be. Sapporo draft beer was excellent and I was surprised to taste that Unadon(eel donburi) which I had was better the ones I tasted in Japan last year. After I had eaten, I noticed they had ginkgo nuts to go with beer. Wished I had ordered it as I can't find them recently even at Asian supermarkets. Noticed they offer take out of various bento lunches if you don't have time to eat inside.

• Visited May 2013
Astoria, NY
“Treat your last guests as your first...”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was very disappointed on Monday Feb. 11th by the extremely rude service at Iroha Restaurant on 49th St. in NYC. We walked in the door 5 minutes before 3pm. Seating ends for lunch service at 3pm so I was glad we made it on time although I was given a dirty look by the host after checking her watch. When we sat down a waitress came over and told us to hurry up and order. Then a second waitress came over and asked if we had decided. I ordered the Gyu Don, and she said they were out of that item. I understood that restaurants run out of things so I needed more time to look at the menu but the staff would not allow it. My date and I then stood up and walked out. The staff is unprofessional and rude.

In the restaurant business you should never rush your guests. People who come in the last few minutes of service don’t care how busy it was or how tired you are. They are there to enjoy themselves. Treat them as if they are the first customers of the day. Most restaurants I go to will seat guests up to 10 minutes after closing and are happy to serve you.

• Visited February 2013