“Didn't meet expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Devi

Devi
Ranked #4,336 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: 5 AV AND BROADWAY
Transit: N,Q,R,L,4,5,6 TO UNION SQ. F train TO 14th street
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Didn't meet expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I heard good things about this restaurant before going which is probably why it didn't meet my expectations. The food was good, but I have had way better at a better price point. The service was lacking. The busboy spilled some wine on my son when cleaning the next table, didn't even care to realize or apologize. When the waiter realized at the dissatisfaction he asked about it and then apologized and brought over some vodka/soda to help with the stain. The waiter seemed to be either helping too many tables or perhaps not too interested. They then went ahead and said they were going to bring a small cheesecake piece because I had mentioned to them prior that we were there to celebrate an anniversary. We thought it was a nice gesture until we realized we had to wait about a half hour for it. We were just about to leave and mentioned about the check when it finally arrived. I have had bigger pieces tastycake. Wasn't worth the wait. Still a nice gesture I guess. When the bill arrived for app 230 which seemed appropriate for a party of 6 I guess. I realized they added 20% gratuity which I guess was required for party size. When we left and paid with card everything was okay until 4 days later when we realized they charged our card $400. Now I am in the process of calling them and taking care of that.

To sum it up - I have had better indian food at a better price and a more spacious restaurant. I don't see what the hype is about here.

• Visited January 2013

New York City, New York
“Wowie!!! The most delicious Indian food I've had!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Soooo! Well prepared delicious, interesting twists..generous portions.. None if us could stop eating, despite being sooooo full!, AND.. the drinks are great! There's. 1/2 price for lunch deal..and we did a "Savored " reservation and got a. 30% discount..I would have been happy paying full price!! Lamb chops were incredible ..vegetarian stir fry. Was delicious..tikka dishes were yummy..run...... don't walk...

• Visited December 2012
Montreal
“Upscale Indian in Union Square area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Pleasant greetings, good and helpful waiter. Usual overpriced drinks. Food quite rich, more so that home made. 3 course tastng menu nobargain, go for a la carte. Pricey butgood, lunch menu is half price but cannot comment on portion size.

• Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
“Stay away from this shadow of a once-great restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

That Michelin star they boast about? That was years ago, with a chef who has moved on, and a different staff. This was once the best Indian restaurant on New York. Today it's an outright ripoff.
We had an atrocious experience. After a long night of nearly no service (I had to chase down the host to order a beer, because no one came to our table for over 30 minutes!) the general manager had the nerve to tell us that he "we're very busy so we need your table", i.e., leave. He said this while we still had our dessert menus in front of us and were waiting for someone to come take our order, exactly 2 hours after we started eating. If Devi has a time limit on their reservations they need to do 2 things:

1. State it explicitly when making a reservation
2. Hire competent waitstaff,

This was by far the worse service experience I've ever had; it ruined our evening and embarrassed us in front of our guests. The food was actually decent, though very timid for Indian food. It looked Indian, but certainly didn't taste it. The breads were horrendous. And we never got the chance to try the deserts. Devi was great, many years ago, but it is now simply a ripoff living on its former glory - and it's very, very expensive for the quality. Avoid.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank sf6864
Vancouver
“Modern Indian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Im from Vancouver, home of the best Indian food -Vij's. But this is a definite equal to it! I was delighted to find it and look forward too my next visit.

Visited August 2012