“wonderful atmosphere”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich Village
“wonderful atmosphere”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

if you like irish pubs this is correct adress! all the days of the week they have live music and every day they have different bands.i choose especially tuesday nights for listening jazz
They make really good long icelands.

• Visited February 2013

• Hungarian first
“Always great live music.”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a great place to stop in for a drink or two! Great music always and the place usually always has a table. Tip-see the later show rather than the earlier one...its usually the "headliner"!

• Visited June 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Go-To" Bar in New York!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We've been going to the Red Lion for some time now (several years), and its the first stop we make every time we're in New York (which is about every couple of months). I especially love our bartender, and I say "our" bartender because he's the one who's always taking care of us! George is lovely, he always somehow manages to find a seat at the bar for me, and over the years we've gotten to know him quite well. I seriously don't know how he manages to deal with the hoards of people that swarm the bar, especially at the weekends! There's all kinds, mostly the worst for wear at 2:00 am on a Saturday night... and he's able to keep his calm and deal with any situation. Unlike many bars in NY, this is somewhere I feel totally safe - even if I somehow got separated from my husband in the crowd, I know that George would make sure I was taken care of! I also love Anne, the Manager, she's a lovely Irish girl who always has time to talk to us, no matter how crowed or busy the bar is. The music is great, the door staff are really friendly and I love the total mix of people we get to watch!!

• Visited April 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Our local bar away from home.”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We are frequent visitors to NYC and always spend at least one night out at "Red Lion". I started patronizing this fine establishment during the late 80's an have seen it grow into what it is today. I worked there briefly for the previous owner and have grown to love it even more. The door staff know us and are extremely cordial when we arrive. They greet us with warm smiles and handshakes. We usually call ahead and out "favorite" bartender usually manages to find a place for us at the bar in a corner. What better service could you ask for???? Our drinks are always kept full and our conversations with George always leave us laughing. Do things get crowded and tense sometimes???? Sure because its a bar with live entertainment!!!! The staff handle everything very well. George in particular makes sure we are not mobbed by the crowds and sometimes unruly patrons. We have grown to really like George and the rest of the staff. It feels like we are part of the family!!! We will always be back!!!!!

• Visited April 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“New York - Friday Night Fever!!!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My first time in New York, in for a conference - everybody tells me go to Bleeker Street. I had some reservations about going out on my own. That was put to rest immediately by Jack and Ruth the staff at the Red Lion. Jack let me create the mystery 3 dollar shot. (which I have to say didn't taste half bad.) And Ruth was nice enough to watch my bag while I investigated the bar. Live music, alot of music that I knew. New York people are a lot nicer than you think. They take the stools away at midnight cause it gets so crazy. But Jack said I was VIP and let me keep mine. The prices are much better than midtown where I was staying, (midtown: 8 dollars for a bottle of Coors Lite?!) I didn't get to see much of Bleeker after that. But if there's better then the Red Lion I don't need to know.

• Visited May 2013