“Slow Service, Cramped Quarters, Okay Food”
Review of Raj Mahal

Raj Mahal
Ranked #9,003 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: East Village
Neighborhood: East Village
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We ordered mango lassi, palak paneer, bhindi masala along with garlic nan and raita. We asked if they could rush the order since we were running a bit late for an appointment and they said it was no problem as we were the only people in the restaurant. We waited in the uncomfortable and close-to-the-next-table chairs for quite a long time before we even got our papad and mango lassi. After another 15 minutes, we finally got our order and the bhindi masala was a no show but substituted with something else - the guy had taken the wrong order! He said he would make the bhindi quickly and bring it out as we were running really late. Another 5 minutes later, the bhindi masala came out and the color was all wrong, the bhindi was barely cooked and it tasted horrible. We didn't even have enough time to return it and argue for a refund because we were so late.The other items didn't taste any better either. If you can't meet the time constraints, don't accept the order - we suffered for it. I will definitely not be coming back to this place.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

East 6th Street between First and Second Avenues used to be the nexus of great Indian dining in Manhattan, and most of the restaurants on this block are still Indian. I was a regular at this restaurant about 15 years ago, and recently returned after a long absence. I was thrilled to find the restaurant virtually unchanged, and that's a good thing.

Raj Mahal stands out from the crowd for several reasons:

-- Live sitar music nightly,
-- The menu selection. Lots of wonderful dishes I've never seen in any other Indian restaurant. Banana pakora. Coconut poori bread.
-- Quality of the food. It's just outstanding.
-- Not crowded. It's a small space; it would be easy to fill it quickly. It's usually not very crowded, and I can't for the life of me figure out why!

It doesn't look like much from the street, but inside it has a strange sort of elegance. I visited by myself, but it's a place I'd love to bring friends.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Raj Mahal is hands down my most favorite restaurant EVER. Good prices, good portions, great staff, great food.

Their dinner specials are excellent. It's always super friendly and welcoming there. You can get great cuisine for under $15!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

From the streets of the East Village in New York, you're transported right into India the moment you step in ... I know, cause I've been to India! The service is efficient, the food simply great. My sister was not into Indian food but she's now a convert after eating here. They even have 2 musicians playing right by the entrance. During dinner, we were already planning on coming back. Arrive early, as the place is small and can get filled quickly.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a wide range of dishes and they were all equally delicious. The staff could not have been friendlier or the atmosphere more festive. We were there celebrating a birthday, so this lovely little neighborhood place really fit the occasion! Our "bring your own" cake was adorned with candles and a sparkler and presented with much lively fanfare. The birthday girl absolutely loved it. I would definitely return and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Indian food and a colorful decor.