“Good food”

McGee's Pub & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
McGee's Pub & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #704 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I did come here just because it's the inspiration for the bar in HIMYM, so I was pretty excited to be there. There are some HIMYM themed items on the menu, such as "the best burger in New York", which I was going to try, but instead I went with the sliders. I did wonder if I should see if the best burger lived up to its name, but if it was anything like the sliders it would have been great, as they tasted really good. There are a few HIMYM pictures on the wall, though not much else related to the show - if it was me I would hang up a blue French horn or something, and I did look towards the coat hooks in the corner, in the hopes of seeing a yellow umbrella! I didn't even realise there were HIMYM themed drinks until just now when I read someone else's review. It was still a pretty cool place to go to though, and the food tasted great.

Visited August 2013

• Korean first
  • Slovak first
Stewartsville, New Jersey
“Met very rudely by bartender”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

It took a minute before I knew it was a one and done pub. Sat down, asked for a Guinness an the reply I got was "I'm doing great, thanks for asking" by this Irish lad. First rule of bartending son, don't expect the patron to oblige in you trivial small talk. I'm also hard of hearing son so next time if you said something up front take a guess that perhaps it wasn't heard. Been to Ireland several times and nerve met a bartender link this .....perhaps that why he is in NYC. I know tougher than perhaps I should be but I guess you had to be there...Slainte'!

Visited August 2013
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
“Wouldnt Know It, Unless youre a fan..”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I visited McGees for one reason - HIMYM. I know its only an inspiration for the show but unless you look specifically at the small corner on the way in, you wouldnt know. There was only one thing that stood out at that was an invite to HIMYM trivia.
The staff werent friendly, I had to ask someone sitting beside me for the food menu and without me doing my own research I wouldnt know they offer HIMYM theme drinks. I even had to look them up on my phone whilst waiting to be served at the bar as there was no drink menu, nothing to say they did this which is a little depressing as im sure the bar get a lot of customers through the show.
Many people walked in while I was there, and the service didnt get better for them. Don't get me wrong the bartender was lovely...when she eventually noticed you sitting there waiting to be served.
I ordered the crispy chicken burger, and to be honest i couldve gotten KFC for a lot cheaper. It was an average meal, let down by poor service. Unless youve memorized the online HIMYM drinks menu....avoid going inside...

• Visited August 2013
Robbinsville, New Jersey
“VERY Impressed!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Yesterday my husband and I were killing some time waiting for friends so around 5pm we stumbled across McGee's Pub. From the moment we walked in, we had great service. Hostess was pleasant and sat us in a 2 person seat near the bar. The atmosphere was awesome!

Our server was FAST, efficient and constantly took away dirty plates and/or water glasses with refills non-stop.

Landshark was the beer special on tap for $4 so we each got one of those.

We split the mac & cheese appetizer which was actually REALLY really tasty!

As I was looking at the drink list, I wanted to try the "Slutty Pumpkin" drink so badly! I posted a picture of it on Facebook and all of my friends were commenting, "OMG How I met your mother" and "I can't believe you're actually there!" I was SO confused. Yup, I'm an idiot. I don't watch the show so I had no clue what an impact this restaurant makes on the fans. Plenty of fans were snapping pics so I finallllly caught on. lol Good stuff.

My husband had the Irish Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and veggies.....it looked SO good. He put it in his top 3 faves ever. That's saying a lot, believe me.

I wasn't starving so I just had the buffalo sliders with fries and intended on taking most of it with me to-go.

Well, the buffalo chicken was GOOD!! I ate them all and most of the fries. Even the pickle was perfect (dill). Mmmm!!!!!!!

To finish it off, we did have the ice cream sundae special of the day. We split it and it was tasty.

The Pub/Restaurant was busy but never packed....and the crowd was really friendly. Prices were VERY reasonable & I totally pay more here in Jersey for less quality food.

Again, service was fabulous as was the quality of the food!!!

I can't wait to go back. Now I should probably check out HIMYM to compare ;)

Yum!!

• Visited August 2013
Elgin
“HIMYM Inspiration”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We visited McGee's for lunch, since it was a must-see destination on our NYC trip due to the fact that we are huge How I Met Your Mother fans. It was so fun to see the bar and all the HIMYM posters on the wall. All the staff also wore HIMYM gear. The food was good and the service was great too. It was a fun stop!

• Visited May 2013