“Wrong Restaurant????”

Neighborhood: Financial District
New York
“Wrong Restaurant????”
Reviewed May 9, 2009

Okay so here’s my theory – there is an Italian restaurant near the seaport, on Beekman Street, called Carmine’s. There is also another Carmine’s uptown in the theatre district (this one also has a “sister” restaurant in the 90’s). I have now been to the one in the seaport and the one in the theatre district. I am DEFINITELY getting the impression that most of the reviews below are actually for the one in the theatre district. The one in the Theatre district is FANTASTIC – just like the reviews below describe – food is great, portions are HUGE. However, based on what I now think are misplaced reviews, I went to the Carmine’s on Beekman Street at the Seaport last weekend and was disappointed big time. The place is tiny, with all the ambiance of a rundown bar. I could live with that if we were talking real character, but this place doesn’t have that. I’ve eaten in small family Italian restaurants before in San Francisco, Boston and Arthur Avenue, but they have character and this place is FAR from any of those. The place seems dirty, any items used to add décor are old beyond belief old and dirty/dusty, bathroom is shared male/female and filthy. There is a small bar, but oddly, the kitchen is located right at the end of the bar, in full view of anyone in the restaurant area – doesn’t help the atmosphere. Bear in mind – I am not the kind of person that is looking for white linens on the table, just a decent meal in a decent place, I don’t even mind paying a lot. And believe me, I know I was in NYC so the price is going to be high anyway. Food – I had veal parm. Mine was OK, nothing special, portion size definitely on the small side. My wife had baked ziti. Hers was dripping in oil and in terms of size – the side dishes of ziti at Carmine’s in the theatre district are twice as big as what they serve here as a main course. My daughter had chicken parm. It was overcooked and tough. Salads – tiny, nothing special and served in those small wooden bowls that you get 10 for $1.00 at a yard sale. So all in all, definitely not a place I would even think about again. But here’s the problem – we were at the seaport for the day and almost all of the restaurants got terrible reviews. One that got good reviews was Cabana’s, but my daughter didn’t want Cuban food (I’ve been there before and it is really good). So here’s some good advice if you are at the seaport – time your trip so you can spend a few hours there, then when you get hungry take a cab (or get in your car) get the heck out of the seaport and go to Carmine’s in the theatre district or in the 90’s on the west side (both have a parking deal with a lot nearby – check their web site). By the way – we were at the seaport to see the Body Exhibit – which was AWESOME and worth every penny, but check their web site first as it might not be for everyone. (you can also get a discount code to buy your tickets on line if you google “discount codes body exhibit” – I saved $6 per ticket!)

1 Thank Irish_in_NY

fabfinds
“Love this place, yes a tourist trap but fun and good food!”
Reviewed November 30, 2008

I have been here several times since every time I have an out of towner in I always seem to take them there, as it is a great touristy place that kind of embodies NYC and it's flavor.......the food servings are HUGE, definitely family style however despite the "tourist trap" rep, the food is GREAT! Good pastas, excellent chicken and veal dishes, the desserts are soso...overall though I do recommend it but HIGHLY recommend reservations. Perfect place post or pre theater.

1 Thank fabfinds
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Dinner and a show? Go to Carmine's”
Reviewed September 29, 2008

My wife and I made reservations early so we would be able to have a nice walk before catching Phantom of the Opera at the Majestic Theater only a block away.

When we entered the restaurant, we knew we were in for a treat. This is a place for not only tourists, but locals as well. The ambiance is excellent. I knew we had arrived in New York when I saw the chandaliers and the energetic crowd.

The restaurant is family style. We weren't handed a menu--just read the choices displayed on the wall.

All I can say is, the food was outstanding and the portion more than enough for two people with just one entree. The sausage and the sauce were divine. The service was attentive and friendly but not overbearing.

We did not have trouble making our reservation for late afternoon but we've heard it can be a challenge. Call ahead. You can go casual but I'd advise dressing up a bit and live large.

1 Thank Silver_Lake23
Syracuse, New York
“Chicken Marsala Heaven”
Reviewed August 19, 2008

While in the theater district treat yourself to really good italian food. Every entree can feed a few people except you may not want to share the chicken marsala its great , also the bread basket has foccia in it. not the american version but the real thing .it's only bested by the famous san francisco foccia in north beach

Oro Valley, Arizona
“How much can one person eat???”
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Fun place with the most food I've seen in years. Good food, but I dare anyone to eat a whole dinner by themselves.

It's best to split meals (as well as appetizers, desserts and salads) with at least one other person.

Very tasty! We'll go back, I'm sure!