“Too expensive for what you get!”
Review of Caffe Cielo

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Btwn. 52nd and 53rd st.
Transit: 1/C/E to 50th St.
Reviewed December 12, 2011

The food was pretty good actually but what got me was how stingy they were. For instance they had a bus boy bring bread to the table one piece per person. When we asked for more the same guy shows up with one piece of bread per person. My wife and our friend had coffee. The coffee is $6 a cup and they never got refills. There were very few people in the restaurant at lunch time so that should speak for itself. There are several restaurants not far at half the price and the food is just as good.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

After seen the show "Wicked" (highly recommended), my friend was in the mood for Italian. He was parked in the parking garage down the block so we stop here for dinner.

I had to run to the bathroom as soon as I walked in. I was quite impressed on how disgusting it was. It was very small, not even a lock on the door, dirty, moldy and in need of a good painting and renovation.

In contrast, the restaurant has nice decor.... very Cielo, as the name calls it. Cielo means Sky in English. The decor is very calmly, with light blues and nice background music. The bar looked nice and well stocked.

I ordered the Chianti wine ($13) which had a very cheap taste to it. I thought about sending it back but kept it and highly regret it. The bread was good. For an Italian restaurant, for the most part, they offer olive oil with the bread but we got butter. I ordered the olive oil and one of the servers brought us a plate of olive oil with Italian spices in it which was quite a nice twist to it.

I ordered the Salmon Bruschetta ($11.50) to start with and my friend ordered the Caprese ($10.00). The bread in the bruschetta was nicely toasted with plenty of smoked salmon on top. The caprese was nice too.

For the main course, I ordered the homemade cheese filled ravioli in a wild mushrooms and cream sauce ($19.00). My friend ordered the rigatoni with bacon in saffron sauce ($20.00). Both dishes were delicious, full of flavor, well presented, filling and with great taste.

As for the service, this is where the Cielo (sky) can fall apart. We had professional but not friendly servers at all. The host/server did not smile once, introduce herself or even had a personality to show for. The second server was nicer and a little friendlier. But there was a lack of customer service that can hurt the business. The busboy was running all over the place and I felt bad for him.

The place offers open mic on Mondays from 9pm until 2am. They also offer Live Jazz Music on Tuesdays thru Saturdays from 9pm until 2am. There is no cover charge for either.

The Final Verdict:

Wine/Alcohol Quality/Taste: 1.0 out of 5.0

Wine/Alcohol Price Value: 1.0 out of 5.0

Bathrooms Cleanliness: 0.0 out of 5.0

Overall Price Value: 3.0 out of 5.0

Final Score: 27 out of 55 (49 out of 100% or F grade)

Final Comment: Great scores for the food quality and taste, but bad scores for service, wine, and bathrooms. Torn between recommending this place. I rather do take out and eat it at home with a nicer bottle of wine and decor than eat here again unless service standards improve. Better Italian restaurant in the area: Tricolori on 47th street (review available).

Reviewed September 30, 2011

Great food and service after seeing "Wicked" Very solid restaurant at a reasonable price

Reviewed July 29, 2011

The salmon salad and bread I ordered were awful. I was sick for the rest of the day. The service and decor were above average for the location, but the food was incredibly bad and made me sick.

Reviewed March 11, 2011

The food is good (not great) but the timing is poor. So... unless you allot two-plus hours for dinner find a place more efficient.