“worth a visit”

Ranked #185 of 1,144 things to do in New York City
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed January 5, 2013

several small floors with different exhibitions on each floor.. Lovely exhibition on islamic art - beautiful.
Cafe on top floor but very crowded (!!) - good place to meet someone for lunch though but not a good place if you are by yourself!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

MAD, the Museum of Arts and Design, is a pearl which is easy to get to on Columbus Circle at 59th and 7th Avenue. Exhibitions you haven't seen before are found here: the history of fragrances (for you to smell), unique jewelry and the use of space, to name a few. And the gift shop is No. 1 among museum shops. Look for religious icons as you meander through.

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I think that the museum itself could me more interesting, informative, conceptual... This one is quite poor and some floors are worth missing.
I liked the floor with Doris Duke's Shangri-La collection and PLAYING WITH FIRE - glass collection.
But what I loved the most is a store with designed items esp jewelry - I've bought cufflinks, unusual silver ring and funny postcard!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Not as well curated as other big NYC museums- I'd recommend instead visiting some Chelsea galleries for contemporary art or visiting the Moma or Cooper Hewitt for viewing design on display.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I had seen review of this museum and thought it sounded like a nice place to visit on a trip to NYC with a friend who really isn't strongly into art, but is always game to at least try the places I steer her towards. One of the big attractions initially was the restaurant, Robert, on the 9th floor. But after a terrific lunch with a panoramic view, we began to explore the 6 floors of the museum. The 6th floor had open studios and we had a chance to speak to some friendly sculptors. Doris Duke's Shangri La in Hawaii was featured on the 5th floor with gorgeous blown up pictures of the house, Doris and her friends, and many Islamic artifacts and some of her exotic dresses and robes (the friendly guard said if I wanted to visit on my next trip to Hawaii, I would have to apply months in advance). The 4th floor was the most unusual, with the art of scent being the exhibit. You could stick your head into niches and get whiffs of pieces of the history of scent and scents created to evoke impressions (some of these I got, others I labeled just plain "stinky"). The Contemporary Glass on the 3rd floor was a comprehensive exhibit and I was able to spot an artist from my Philadelphia area across the room by her distinctive style. And for a real NYC experience (after walking down Fifth Avenue looking at the fabulous holiday displays) was "Daniel Brush:Blue Steel Gold Light." I could have never imagined an exhibit with diamonds studding the artwork and solid pieces of gold so bright that I asked a guard if there were lights inside them (no, highly polished blocks of gold really do glow). And the pricey gift shop was buzzing with foreign accents and Fifth Avenue types getting their (silk) stocking stuffers. It sure impressed this small city dweller!