“AUTHENTIC Chinese Food!!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Financial District
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I remember when China Chalet had a location on Pearl St., which happens to be my very first experience, over 10 years ago. Since then, although they have changed locations, the quality of the food has never changed, if anything it is much better. The way that you are catered to when you first walk in is unbelievable. You must experience this place at least once in your lifetime!

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had dinner here a couple of months ago with my wife and some of her friends visiting from Hang Zhou. More recently, I was here with a Czech friend.

The walls are white with modernish art on the wall, and there is a large faux-crystal chandelier in the center of the room. Not how I'd decorate a Chinese restaurant (I'd have used red dragon wall paper, terracotta warriors, paintings of Emperors surrounded by concubines, and such) but it is, at least, the kind of place that feels a little upscale.

There are lots of booths where you can have some privacy, which is nice.

Most of the main meat courses are in the mid to high teens in price, but they have a platter for $16.95: Spring roll, fried rice and choice of one out of about fifteen or so entrees.

I had the platter both times: "Sweet and Sour Chicken" the first (which I don't recommend) and "General's Chicken" the second (which I do). Both meals were washed down with Tsingtao.

The "General's Chicken" (what most Chinese restaurants call "General Tso's chicken") was delicious and, when you consider the above-average ambiance of the place, well worth the price.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

We ordered take out from China Chalet from the hotel we were staying in. No doubt we only had the egg drop soup (US$4.50) and wanton soup (US$5.50), but that was bad enough. Egg drop literally was just a beaten egg dropped into water thickened with cornflour. The wanton tasted like it was from the freezer and dumped into hot water without even cooking. Even the free fortune cookies could not appease our dissatisfaction. The person taking the delivery call asked a few times if that was all we wanted to order (yes, for supper) and if they didn't want to take such small orders, they should state so in their menu instead of sounding rude.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

I found the China Chalet in the list of menus in my hotel dining book. Althought they deliver, I decided to go on a walk and find out where it was. China Chalet is up a flight of stairs from the street. It appeared they do a lot of delivery business. I decided to take-out as well although the dining room was inviting. I ordered my favorite: General Chicken and Crab Rangoon as an appetizer. The order was up fast and I was on my way back to the hotel to eat. The General Chicken was all white meat and had a tangy sauce that wasn't too spicy. The side of hot mustard helped the heat level. I thought it was very good. The Crab Rangoon was OK. I wasn't able to taste any crab over the strong seasoning...maybe parsley? At least it didn't suit my taste as much. Overall, I thought the China Chalet was very good Chinese food and I will eat there agian when back in NYC

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook