“Surprising little find”
Review of Madison Bistro

Madison Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Madison Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,197 of 13,935 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 37th Street
Transit: 4,5,6 to Grand Central
Description: Madison Bistro is a French Bistro with a modern twist that is based on a mix of Godard's family recipes and traditional French recipes. Diners can enjoy the wonderful cuisine in the restaurant's dining hall that has a Parisian ambiance with a touch of classic French influence, all the while retaining its casual and classy atmosphere.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I visited Madison Bistro for lunch in December. It has a cute little atrium at the back that was decked out for the holidays. As an out of towner, I was looking for a place to meet an old friend who worked in the neighborhood. The awning is dingy and so as I walked in I was on my guard. The food was delightful. I had a most unusual Bouillabaisse - one of the specials. The fish was mussels and calamari, but the sauce was a celery broth with carrots and turnips. It was perfect for a lunch entree. My companion had a nice piece of salmon which was cooked to the way he had ordered it.

The service was very cordial, but a bit spotty - after we asked for a few more minutes to order, we had to flag down the waiter 10 minutes waiter. I'd go back though.

There are newer reviews for Madison Bistro

Reviewed December 1, 2012

This restaurant has had some rocky reviews. Had dinner there last night as part of a group of six. We were promptly seated and immediately approached for our drink preferences and order. As they say, their cocktails were served in the "big glasses". A very generous pour! Service was prompt and our wait staff was attentive and exhibiting a sense of humor were a lot of fun. Four of us selected the three course priced fix menu. This offered a wide variety of selections in addition to a number of specials for the evening. The short rib main entree was exceptional!!! For desert, if you are a chocolate fan, you could not go wrong with either their molten chocolate cake or chocolate mousse. They came piping hot right from the oven. A great ending course to a fun evening of French dining.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We popped in for dinner with no reservations two years ago and wanted to eat here again. We were seated promptly like our last visit. Same nice mellow atmosphere. My appetizer was the Tarte Flambee...amazing. My entree this time was the "Le Bourguignon". The braised short ribs were in pinot noir reduction...they were fabulous. I just wanted more. I had the Grand Marnier soufflé last time, which definitely had a spicy kick with the added liqueur. This time I had the Vanilla Pear Crumble with whipped cream chantilly, it left me speechless. We shared a bottle of French red table wine which complimented our meal perfectly. My wife started with the Crab & Avocado Napoleon, followed by Stuffed Sole Filet with Stuffed Mushrooms & Spinach Foam. She ordered the molten chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream again...fascinating. Extremely attentive service. We hope to return sooner the next time and not almost 2 years later.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had steak frites late Friday evening and it was overall a dull performance--- the steak was not high quality and a bit overcooked, and the whole place seemed bored with its menu and bored with life. We each had a glass of quite ordinary Bordeaux for $9 per--- the entire bottle of Bordeaux itself could not have cost $9, it was table wine that the French probably export just to places like this. Maybe this was just a bad night but the whole thing seemed shoddy and unsatisfactory.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Many years ago at the site of this restaurant was one of the great Italian restaurants in New York. If a restaurant could turnover in its grave that one would. I just have great difficulty understanding the good reviews I've read of this restaurant they are beyond my imagination. In the past we have tried this restaurant with disappointing results, but having read some reviews we thought perhaps it has a new chef. Unfortunately it's worse than ever. The steak au poivre was tough and the sauce very mediocre,The Quenelles of piker were over saturated with a lobster sauce and had very little taste. It is difficult at the present time to find traditional good French food at reasonable prices. I will continue to look for one.
Avoid this place