“Great Food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Martin Restaurant - CLOSED

San Martin Restaurant
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Midtown
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

This is a nice restaurant. My boyfriend and I went here on our last night in NYC. Our hotel recommended this place and I absolutely loved the food. The mussels were amazing and my entrée was just as delicious. I definitely recommend this restaurant if your around the Midtown Manhattan area. Service was nice as well, they sang Happy Birthday to my babez and made us feel welcomed.

London, United Kingdom
“Nice restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Very nice atmosphere and super friendly service. Large portions. I had artichoke hearts followed by veal Marsala and my husband had the bruschetta followed by spaghetti and meatballs. I struggled to finish mine. I would have preferred potatoes and vegetables with the veal rather than linguine (which was very nice) but it wasn't a deal breaker. Couldn't manage a dessert. I would definitely return

Visited February 2014
chandler
“What a great little place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

WOW!!! This was quite the wonderful find. When we arrived in NYC we were hungry and tired. We walked out of the Waldorf and there was this wonderful restaurant. Everyone was so friendly and the food was amazing!!! Highly recommended!!!

Visited February 2014
“Average food, interesting decor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

The last part of the dining experience was being presented with the bill with the tip already there. I understand the reasoning behind that for large parties, but I was solo. In the USA and NYC,
I find it an unacceptable business practice.

The inside decor was quaint. Very traditional, looks like it could have easily been the same decades ago. Comfortable seat, and the lighting is at quite a nice level with Italian music playing in the background.

The menu was fairly small, and the choices were much more "European" than pure Italian.

Their bread was nothing amazing. Served with wrapped butter pats that were so cold to be rock hard.

They did not have their advertised special (white bean casserole) ready yet, so I tried their lasagna. Very basic. Not good, not bad.

Overall, I have been to many finer places but other than the preincluded tip, the place was fine and probably an ok choice if you are in the neighborhood.

Concord,MA
“Time Warp to 1966 but worth it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Staying at the Marriott Lexington- for one night business trip- Lex Marriott restaurant temporarily closed and serving a crummy buffet out of a crummy ballroom- Concierge directed us up the street to St Martin Restaurant- about 800 pm one snow night in Feb.

Our expectations were low- outside we saw a stand of wooden tables (cover in snow) and entered through a wooden door- into a vestibule covered with awards from the 70s-80s and 90s. Inside it was like entering a time warp- decor from an Italian restaurant from 1966- not a mad men "redeaux" but the real thing- decor unchanged since the 60's or 70s. Celeb photos of the owner covering every spare inch on the wall (and once could trace the owner through the 70s-80 and 90s growing older, like all of us, with each passing year). He greeted us and seated us promptly at heavy wooden tables.
The waiter brought out a limited but passable wine list laminated on a wooden "book"- it was cool something kitschy I have not seen in 30 years or so. So far out that it was now in.

Laminated menu ala 1968 with 1968 Italian (none of this 1 ounce of gnocchi stuffed with ginger infused turbot with a maple glazed tomato sauce) but "old style" Italian American menu from 1970 perhaps. We ordered from the specials menu- printed on paper and clipped into the menu. I had the Scicilan Trout.
Bread was brought out- and it was steaming hot plain old fashioned Italian Bread like my mom used to serve on Sunday.
The Trout was very good- and to be repetitive- with a heavier shallot/capers sauce (vinegar wine based) that was spicy and somewhat heavy- but frankly a change from the fur fru second decade of the 21st Century. It struck me that night how pretentious this stuff looked next to the fare serve at San Martin. Good solid American Italian Food.

I recommend this place if you want a change of pace and if you want to get away from the waiter informing you of the locavore provenance of your infused 2 ounce serving of whatever seems to be the flavor of the day food.

Fun- I will be back!