“Great Suprise!”
Review of Chevys Fresh Mex

Chevys Fresh Mex
Reserve with OpenTable
Chevys Fresh Mex is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,830 of 13,633 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: When we think Chevys Fresh Mex, we go to our happy place; fun-lovin’ guests, fajitas & margaritas, and the freshest food, always from scratch. Founded in 1986 in Alameda, California, Chevys is an ultra-casual restaurant concept that offers guests an array of freshly prepared Mexican dishes in a relaxing atmosphere. Similar to other Real Mex restaurants, Chevys prepares its dishes daily from scratch using only the freshest ingredients. Chevys is a national brand with locations in 8 states. Chevys' store base includes 39 Company-owned restaurant locations and 16 franchised restaurants. With more than 25 years of successful operations, Chevys is the most widely recognized Mexican casual dining brand in northern California, and is the second largest Mexican casual dining brand in California in terms of number of restaurants, behind El Torito. Designed to offer a fiesta for the senses, where every experience is fresh, fun and full of flavor, the concept is focused on the execution of its trend-setting Fresh Mex® menu and continuous innovation. Chevys uses a "Fresh Mex®" pledge which underscores the Company's promise that all products are made daily from scratch.
Cleburne, Texas
“Great Suprise!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We live in Texas, so we like our Mexican food to be Tex-Mex. We have tried Mexican Food in our travels to other states and have been disappointed on numerous occasions. Not this time!
The food was excellent, large menu selections.
Our service was good and I would highly recommend you stop in for a meal if you are a fan of Tex-Mex style Mexican Food.

Worcester UK
“Needs more staff training”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We visited when the world cup was on (it was showing on the TV screens) the staff seemed more engaged with watching the match than keeping the booths and restaurant attended to.
We both had Chicken Fajitas they were ok, lots of onions not much peppers etc.
The ladies toilets were a mess with overflowing bins, no soap in any of the dispensers and some toilets without paper.
Not a Chevys I'd visit again...

Wichita, Kansas
“Best TexMex I've ever had!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

This is by far, the best TexMex I've ever had!! We stopped in late and the server was getting ready to get off and he wasn't the most outgoing guy but he was prompt. The good came out and it was incredible! I ordered a pick two with the flauta (get this!) and a taco. Both amazing!!

Meridian, Idaho
“Food great, service absent...”
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Chevy's so we had no preconceptions going in. It smelled great from the outside and we were all hungry. We got seated upstairs and it was pretty empty. World cup matches on the TV's and all was good. Our waiter took our order and everything was fine. Chips and salsa were great, love the salsa. But from the moment our drinks arrived no one ever checked on us, our drinks ran dry repeatedly and we have to stop someone to "ask" to have it refilled. When we had one refilled they didn't pay enough attention to notice the others were empty too. It gave us something to laugh at but was supremely disappointing. Again food was very good if you can get past the lack of service, couldn't give it more than average. Don't know if we will will give them another shot or not.

Visited June 2014
long island
“Chevy's we keep going back and it NEVER disappoints! Fresh MEX!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

A few years ago we had been to Chevy's in Orlando and were very pleased with the food , prices and atmosphere, so while we are in the city this Chevy's has become our go to place.

We are never disappointed. THe food was delicious, freshly prepared and piping hot! The waitress was very attentive and really a great waitress! THe place is huge, but this time we decided to eat downstairs, as they actually had a booth downstairs.

THe location couldnt be any better, right in the middle of the Theatre District, on 42nd street, across the street from Madame Tussaud's and Ripleys, great place if you are a tourist! We saw a show earlier and it was raining and ran inside to find the music blasting and the place packed!

THe restroom was clean, with a handicapped stall, although no a/c in there, it was really hot in there.

We had tortilla chips and the salsa they put on the table, and opted to order a side order of guacamole , $12 , as we always do. It was delicious! My sister liked that they made it right at table side, which is a nice touch. As for the salsa, it is a little spicy, and brown, and it has grown on us. We all like it now,it is addictive! lol
THe portions were huge! I seem to always get the delicious mixed grill sampler platter, $30 with grilled shrimp, chicken and carnitas. My daughter had a custom burrito with grilled steak and cheese and loved it! THey always make it special for her and it is never an issue to do so.

My sister had the chicken quesadilla's , and the chicken was grilled to perfection, I tasted a piece and it was delicious . Real sliced chicken, not pulled .

As for dessert , my daughter had the ice cream with toasted coconut, although they do have fried ice cream , we never seem to order it.
Our waitresses name was Vee, she was really cool and very busy, but as busy as she was she had our refills going and didnt mind that we were taking our time and enjoying our meal.
We have been here many times now, and it never disappoints. I will say I do not see many families come here. I bring my teen, but seems most here are couples. THey have a bar down stairs and loud music and maybe families are put off. We love loud music and the portions are large! Families this is a nice place, just sit upstairs where it is quieter and you will love it! What child doesn't love a taco or burrito? Better than a greasy burger anyday.

Now, a special note here for our larger patrons, the tables downstairs are NOT for all sizes. I am a bit, 'fluffy' and there was no way I could fit in some of the booths. In fact I tried to fit in two of the booths by the front window and could not get in and NO I am not obese. I have never had a problem fitting in any other booths anywhere else. THey looked small and when I went to sit down I was unable to get in. So, if you are a bit bigger than the normal size you should go upstairs or opt for a table in the back downstairs those tables are roomier. I believe the booths on the left side downstairs are also normal sized, but steer clear of the right hand side booths.

I love this place. My family loves this place and whenever we bring friends they love it too! THe food is delicious , service is good and prices are decent for Manhattan. Thanks Vee! you were a great waitress! I told you I would write a great review!

Overall, would recommend this place. Great location, the subway is at the corner, the place is huge so plenty of room and no waiting, great waitress and delicious food! Will make this one of our go to restaurants now.