“It's not fine dining but you won't leave hungry or broke”
Review of Mumbles Restaurant - CLOSED

Mumbles Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Gramercy Park
Cross street: 17th Street
Description: Located just two blocks from Union Square, Mumbles is a contemporary bistro that highlights everything we love about New York. An upbeat, affordable restaurant based on the way we like to eat today, our diverse menu is based on fresh ingredients and expert preparation. We are taking a modern approach to comfort food, with menu items ranging from BBQ Spare Rib Sliders and Truffled Mac & Cheese to Jamon Croquettes, Seafood Risotto and our famous Penne alla Vodka. In addition to tasty lunch and dinner options, we also have a full bar with a great selection of American Craft Beers.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Mumbles restaurant was at one time part of a mini-chain of three neighborhood pub type restaurants. The last survivor is in our neighborhood,Gramercy Park and while definitely not a "go to place" serves a need for fast comfort food at a fair price. Food is quite average if you stick to simple dishes and service can be "iffy" .
But there are times when we cant get into Mollies or Bluebelle (too crowded) that Mumbles meets the need for a quick simple meal.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We walked into Mumbles and thought it was an agreeable atmosphere. It looked like it was a nice neighborhood restaurant and pub that was a good place to come for a Guinness. Maybe it is, but it's certainly not a place to come and have dinner. The food is just awful. It appeared to us that the "chef" didn't have a clue about how to prepare a meal, and the quality of the food is, to say the least, sub-standard. The cute, perky waitress was very nice eye candy, but her "service" was beyond lame. My wife and I left half of our meal, but took the fish home to our cat, who wouldn't eat it either. 'Nuf said.

1  Thank Alexander M
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This restaurant is very good, especially if you have a groupon where you save 60%. I'm not sure I would have been thrilled paying full price as the steak for $23.95 wasn't the best quality and the cheesecake was just 'o.k', for NY style cheesecake, I would have expected a bigger portion and fruit of some sort on top. Overall, good, but could do better.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My go-to spot in the Union Square area. Food is way better than the usual pub grub -- they even do a good linguini with shrimp, and my friend loved her tuna sashimi salad. I appreciate that they offer "last chance" bargains on wines, not to mention ice cream by the scoop when you want just a little something sweet at the end of a meal. Lots of elbow room, too, and the sound level allows for conversation even though there's a radio playing. Good values midweek especially -- but a reliably good experience anytime.

1  Thank jerseyjazz
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I purchased an internet discount voucher - Living Social/Groupon (can't remember which) for Mumbles to use during a Christmas holiday vacation with my family. It was later in the evening on a week night when we visited and there were no other dining patrons there but there was maybe 2 or 3 people seated at the bar. We were a party of 4 adults and 1 toddler. The food was excellent however the attention by our waiter was lacking. He took our drink and appetizer order, food order and delivered our food and drinks to our table and never returned until he brought our check. No drink refills or anything. We didn't mind much as we were enjoying talking among ourselves but refills on our water or soft drinks would have been nice. Then when paying our ticket he seemed confused about the voucher use and overage to a credit card. Maybe he was new or just having a really off night. All in all the food WAS really good so I would visit Mumbles again on my next trip to New York.