“The Best place for a family trip - with teenagers ”
Review of Hotel on Rivington

Hotel on Rivington
Ranked #185 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“The Best place for a family trip - with teenagers ”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Nice view. Right location to walk to south Manhattan, Soho, Nolita, etc... or to the Village and other places. People you meet there are smiling. Cool area around to buy the sneakers your kids - or you - are craving for and to have a cooool beer in the evening.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Zeetoon
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Hi Zeetoon! Great 5 Circle Review! You nailed the neighborhood: great sneaker shops (and other specialty boutiques) and the coldest beers in NYC! We sure are "smiling" to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to host you and your family again in the future.

Adam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We always go back to the Hotel on Rivington. You know why? It's in a vibrant area full with little local designers (yes, the big brands are nearby as well) cafés, you're just a hop away from Brooklyn, the next hot spot, plus you can do everything by walking. Plus the hotel has large from the ceiling to the floor windows. So, daylight, here we come.
This time we stayed there for four nights and our room was on the 18th floor and provided a 180 degree view (or almost 270 degree) over from the southwestern to the northwestern part of Manhatten with all its fantastic buildings. What I love as well (think it's a European thing), that you can open the windows. Of course not fully, but only to let a bit of fresh air in is fore me a luxury already itself.
The steam bathroom (of course in typically Hotel on Rivington-black mosaic) is huge providing three showers and if you wanted to do a steam bath.
The bed is just a dream to sleep in. I believe they use the Tempur mattress (the ones which soften up and embrace your spine once you lie on it), like I have at home and this of course provided me great nights sleeps like a baby.
I love as well the generous hair & body products they are providing and they come in nice and handy to use while taking a shower.
The room had as well two comfy sofas; you can work comfortably, while your partner can have a jet-lag afternoon nap.
The staff is very friendly including very professional, efficient and lovely room maids. This is very important to me, to see if the room maids are nice, as this can tell you a lot how the hotel is being managed. What has impressed me as well a lot was: one morning while standing in the huge black mosaic stone shower, I noticed, that one mosaic stone was missing. In the afternoon when we got back for a quick nap, I saw that it has been filled up. Wow, I can only say. Think, that this tells you as well a lot.
On the 2nd floor (the reception is as well located there), you can hang out in the well-lit (due to large windows facing Rivington St) quiet lounge, where you can a) read a book, b) work, c) play pool and/or d) day dream and watching the ongoings on the street along with a little complimentary help-yourself bar (starting as of 5 p.m. only).
If you want to go shopping (or window shopping) big style: in approx. 7-10 min. you find yourself in the midst of all those great brands in Soho.
What about Wi-Fi? They provide you with free and easy access to their wireless network and that was it. Just perfect. No matter how many devices you carry on you.
My next trip to New York will be soon again on my radar and I definitely will be staying again at the Hotel on Rivington.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elle K
Elle K! Wow, what a great review. We are blushing! So so so happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself here on Rivington Street with us. It sounds like you reserved one of our Unique King rooms which offer outstanding views and very unique bathrooms. I will definitely pass on your kind words to our Housekeeping staff, Engineering staff and Front Office. It makes a huge impact to our daily routine to hear such appreciative remarks. :)
One thing; our Lobby Lounge "Happy Hour" goes from Noon to 6pm and offers complimentary coffee, tea, water, fruit and wine!

Thank you again, Elle!

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Great week in New York staying at Hotel on Rivington. Great staff that really make it fab to be there. Disappointed with rooms - on 6th floor with views of fire exits and rubbish only - would definitely recommend upgrading to rooms on higher floors with views. Amazing New Yorkers ! Restaurants and bars really fun and great food and drink. Would definitely go back again .

• Stayed August 2014
Hi Sarah H! Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is very valuable and we appreciate you taking the time. Our higher floor do offer excellent unobstructed views, hopefully we can host you again sometime as we strive for that 5 Circle Review!

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Just spent 3 awesome days at this hotel....
On my previous stay in NY I was located in Midtown near the tourist attractions, so was a little concerned when my hubby suggested about staying in the Lower East Side as I had heard a few stories.... but concerns unfounded, the area is not unlike my native East London.. Lots of interesting and individual bars & restaurants... and the area felt safe to walk around day & night..
The hotel itself was just brilliant, totally individual, and the staff were very friendly & helpful - especially the guys on door security - a big thanks to Lester on the door who gave me some really helpful hints for the subway.... also our cleaner (sorry didnt catch her name) but who kept the room spotless...
The room itself was a good size, with sofa & table, also a small desk to work from, bathroom was amazing, loved the view over the city from the shower and bedroom windows - could see the brooklyn bridge, Freedom tower in distance and also the local neighbour - got some great photo's at dusk and night - but was glad I was on the 19th Floor so no-one could look back in :-) the large japanese tub was also great...
No tea or coffee in room, but we had a great mini bar and there was free coffee/tea, water, fruit & wine available throughout the day in lounge beside reception.
Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to experience the real New York - its people, its culture - although the 'tourist' New York is still only a couple of stops on the Subway... Would most definately return to this hotel & area.

Room Tip: Definately go for the higher floors for views and benefits of the bathrooms with views, I guess also...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DebbieT4
Hi DebbieT4! Thank you for your stellar 5 Circle Review here on TripAdvisor. So glad to hear that you and your hubby had such a great time at Hotel on Rivington. I'll make sure to tell Lester that you appreciated his insight as well as the rest of the staff. We pride ourselves on excellent, individual service and strive to make every guest's experience an amazing and memorable one.

We hope to host you again in the future!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 3, 2014

The Hotel on Rivington is a stylish, high-design hotel with outstanding service, large rooms, and a surrounding neighborhood filled with interesting restaurants and bars. There are some annoying minuses which made me lean toward rating it a 4, but in the end I think I'll probably be coming back again.

I'm a business traveler and tend to come to NYC for long visits (2 weeks), so my needs are not really the same as the Hotel on Rivington's target customer. The hotel is high-design and oriented toward younger tourists and couples having a romantic get-away. Generally the hallways are dark and moody, the restaurant and room service specialize in tapas and bar food, and the in-room minibar includes a huge range of alcohols plus lube and sex toys.

However, it has some great pluses for me doing an extended stay. The room was surprisingly large with lots of closet space and room to spread out. It is also very close to the F subway and there are a tremendous variety of restaurants at all price points around the hotel. The rooms also includes a safe and the wifi is free (although mediocre). The biggest plus, though, is that the staff was universally extremely friendly.

On the negative side, the biggest one is that the door has no peephole! I was shocked about this, because even in small towns the peephole is the norm for safety, and you'd imagine that in NYC that this would be absolutely necessary. For this reason, I'd not recommend the hotel for women traveling alone or anyone particularly concerned about personal safety.

Other negatives include the fact that the room has no desk, few outlets, and no coffee maker. The mattress and pillows were all too soft and not very comfortable. One other annoyance is that the room service menu is so oriented toward bar food and appetizers that it's not really suitable for regular diners. Fortunately there is lots of food in the surrounding neighborhood, but it would have been nice to have a better in-room option.

All in all I will likely be coming back on future business trips, but I definitely wish some of these annoying details could be fixed.

Room Tip: The rooms have no peepholes and the showers have windows, so this is not really a hotel for people c...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello Reason_SF! Thank you so much for your 5 Circle Review here on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate your feedback and I will certainly bring up your concerns in our weekly meeting. So happy that you have enjoyed your experience at Hotel on Rivington and your kind words about our staff really make us feel great!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lower East Side.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I just completed our second stay at the Hotel on Rivington. Both times we decided to try the Unique Rooms, and have stayed in the room with the large shower (with the tub in the middle) as well at the room with the North-facing terrace. The views from these rooms can't be beat. The hotel itself is really cool, with a pool table and lounge just off the lobby. In the afternoon, there is complimentary wine for guests, as well as coffee in the mornings. The staff was very friendly as well. The rooms and the views are incredible and the hotels proximity to the heartbeat of the Lower East Side just means your have a hard time deciding where to explore. Some recommendations from our stay (out of the hotel) for food are: Hearth, Cherche Midi, and for late-night - the Falafel place just a block east of the hotel. For activities, the Essex Market is cool, as was the Tenement Museum. If you've never been to NYC, avoid Times Square Hotels and come stay in this quaint neighborhood.

Room Tip: In NYC, obviously higher is better (and probably quieter). There isn't a bad view since there a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dmjfoto13
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Hello dmjfoto13! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience (and recommendations!) with us here on TripAdvisor! We are very proud to earn your 5 Circle Review. Our Unique Room category offers amazing views and the bathroom with the steam shower and tub in the middle is a "crown jewel" of the Lower East Side. :) Our neighborhood certainly is a vibrant hub of art, leisure, food and of course New Yorkers! Glad you agree!
That falafel place is called Wolf Nights and YES they are amazing AND just got a brand-new mural commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Beastie Boys album cover art of the former Paul's Boutique by Brooklyn native, Danielle Mastrion. Now THAT's the real New York scoop!

Thanks again for staying with us!

Yardley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband's company has been using this hotel when he travels to NY on business. Recently, we tagged along for the experience. This hotel is situated in a part of the city that I'm not used to staying in, so I loved having the opportunity to visit a new part of town. There are fabulous restaurants around (Spoon on 2nd Street, and Essex House), and my boys LOVED the pool table in the lobby. More importantly, I left a very valuable ring and earrings behind in the safe and only a week later realized my error. Fortunately, they were still in the safe, and the hotel quickly found them and FedEx'ed them to me. This speaks volumes about the hotel staff, and I would recommend this hotel highly. It's a boutique hotel so the rooms are ostentatious, but nicely decorated and cozy. The shower was amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We did find the room loud on Saturday night (it's a very trendy neighborhood), but the rest of o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hi Angela H! Thank you so much for the lovely 5 Circle Review! We absolutely love hearing from our guests and are so happy you enjoyed Hotel on Rivington and the Lower East Side. We place a premium on staying competitive and providing excellent value for our guests. Glad to hear your boys enjoyed the vintage billiards table in the Lobby Lounge!

Looking forward to welcoming you and family back anytime!