“Rocks”

Ranked #160 of 466 Hotels in New York City
north carolina
“Rocks”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed here last summer and this hotel rocks. Amazing (latex) mattress. Very clean room. Incredible view we would watch the traffic on 3 bridges and all of lower east side from the 17th floor. We had a corner room with 2 walls of windows and a shower on the outside wall, and I would definitely recommend the upgrade to this accommodation for the extra bucks (and that is coming from a pragmatic cheap skate). The balcony itself, I am sorry to say, was a little too scary to spend much time on. You feel more or less like you are on one of those window cleaner platforms scaling the side of a sky scraper.
If you can get in here to a corner room in the 300 to 400 price range like we did, I can't expect you could have any regrets. Except, of course, it made us want to stay in the room more than we should - we were here to see the city from the street mostly, after all. Although the lobby of the hotel is very minimal, this lodging was definitely a place to make an impression.

Room Tip: Corner room, outside shower, high up.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brian999
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Hi brian999! Im glad we made such an impression on you! A 5 Circle Review from one of TripAdvisor's Senior Contributors?! We must be doing something right. :)
I hope you got to see some of the city from the street view as well, so much fun to be had in the Lower East Side. Although it is pretty cool to take it all in from the comfy confines of a corner room above all the hustle and bustle of NYC.
We look forward to welcoming you again to Hotel on Rivington!

Adam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Tarrytown, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I needed a lower east side hotel to stay at for one night while we attended the birthday party of a friend. Most of the evening’s activities were in the area, so we wanted not only a stylish place to sleep, but also a hotel that we could use as a launch pad for a fun night out in downtown NY. The Hotel on Rivington did not disappoint. The rooms were cool, comfortable and clean. We loved the views out the floor-to-ceiling windows. They reminded us of why we love staying in the city. The service was attentive and authentic and we appreciated the friendly atmosphere. And even though this hotel has a vibrant party scene and caters to late-night revelers, we were not disturbed by noise or the scene. In fact, it added to the texture of our stay. The Japanese inspired deep soaking tub was a sublime way to let go of stress and breakfast at the Co-Op downstairs was both delicious and perfect place to devour the Sunday NY Times. If you are looking for LES headquarters with cool as cool as you but without attitude, then this is your place.

Room Tip: Book a room on the upper floors. The views are reason enough to stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sean M
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Hi Sean M! Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a nice review here on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and got to enjoy the neighborhood as well. Brunch in Co-Op with the Sunday Times sounds pretty hard to beat!

You are always welcome here on Rivington Street!

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here three times over the past two years, and I have to admit I am a little bit of a hotel snob. The rooms are very clean, always. The staff will jump to get you anything you could ever dream of. The beds are comfortable with feather pillows and light-blocking curtains. The views are very nice. The last room we stayed in on the 16th floor had a balcony. The corner rooms are very nice but I have not had a room that wasn't nice. Modern style. They have complimentary cookies every night, fresh baked! There is coffee and sometimes wine(special occasions) available on the second floor. It is very close to the subway: one block on Delancey St. And there is some good shopping and restaurants surrounding. Would definitely recommend it. Also about a $15 cab ride from Penn Station. We always have a great time when we come. The mini bar is stocked with literally anything you could think of (sunglasses to synthetic vaginas!). We will be back soon.

• Stayed December 2013
Adam P, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel on Rivington, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello NursesNotes! We LOVE to get reviews from TripAdvisor's Senior Contributors! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Sounds like you had room 163 (one of my favorites!), great view of the Freedom Tower, balcony, the soaking tub and of course the King-sized Tempur-Pedic mattress (just like in every room). I'll make a note in your profile and hope to get you that one next time. :)
Just one note: We offer complimentary wine every day! Along with coffee, tea, fruit and water. And yes, we have an extensive minibar. Hope you enjoyed!

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I spent the two nights following our wedding at the Hotel on Rivington, and it was a near-perfect experience. The staff made sure our stay was memorable; we were greeted with fresh-cut flowers, champagne, chocolates and rose-petals scattered on the bed. The views from the 18th floor-corner room were terrific - it's not that high up for New York, but the HOR is in a low-rise part of town and we got the full sweep from the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings in mid-town all the way down to the new One World Trade Center. The huge bedroom and bathroom and floor-to-ceiling windows were a treat, as was room-service breakfast. Many thanks to the friendly, (very) gay-friendly, professional staff - you helped make our wedding weekend everything we could have hoped for!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Peter T! and CONGRATULATIONS!!! We were so pleased that you spent your special day with us at Hotel on Rivington. We love being a part of these magic moments in our guests' lives. Thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor with a 5 Circle Review!

We sincerely hope you will return to visit us again and add to your memories.

Congratulations on your marriage!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

As a travel agent, I am always looking for both the bad and the good when staying at a hotel. I want to make sure I only put my clients in the best hotels. The location is great, right next to a subway entrance. There's also some good places to eat nearby, including Katz's Deli and Russ & Daughters with their amazing bagels. I had a corner king room with soaking tub (and balcony!) and it did not disappoint. The room was clean, and had such a gorgeous view. The staff at the hotel that I encountered were nothing short of wonderful. Geo at the front desk is an asset to this hotel, and they had better not lose him! The cleaning staff at the hotel was also really accommodating and pleasant. Baudouin is such a sweetheart as well! I didn't have any noise issues, but I was high up. I imagine any hotel in NYC will have some noise issues when on lower floors. The restaurant and bar at the hotel can definitely get lively, so i'd recommend asking for the highest floor possible. The entrance to the hotel is very different, in a good way. And the lounge near the front desk is a great place to read or check wifi, after you've checked out and are waiting for your car to take you back to the airport!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hi Thelma A! We really appreciate your review. Coming from such a seasoned traveler as yourself, your feedback is invaluable. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope you will send your clients over to us. Baudouin is an All-Star and Im glad you had the opportunity to connect with him. Geo and our Front Desk team are always very helpful and informed about what's happening all over NYC, don't worry we won't lose them! :)

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rivington Street anytime!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Great spot close to subway and within walking distance of Lower East Side/Soho etc. Some great restaurants just around the corner ('Inoteca very good, Sauce excellent). Awesome views with floor to ceiling windows. And free coffee in the morning and wine in the afternoon!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi JonnyBramley1963! Wow, thanks for the excellent 5 Circle Review! We love to hear from our guests and really appreciate your feedback. Its great that you got to enjoy Ino'teca and Sauce, 2 neighborhood stalwarts, but there are so many more! You simply have to visit us again to try!

Thanks again!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I have stayed at THOR quite a few times over the years and use hotels in NYC frequently. My last experience there was pretty poor and perpetuates the notion that at weekends it's a bit of a party hotel, which is great if that is what you want.
I however wanted a good nights sleep and was awoken by a party in the room next door. My efforts to ask them to reduce the noise levels were ignored as were the hotels 'attempts'.
These things happen and it's how you are dealt with that identifies how valued you are as a customer. Whilst I received a discount for my troubles I also received a rather patronising response when I enquired as to why none of the managers dealt with me when I complained about the issue. When did this start happening? Surely an apology would have been more appropriate?
Some of the staff at THOR are excellent which is a shame because their solid efforts are undermined by indifferent management. I have stayed there several times before, so it pains me to say that they really need to do better. Other hotels within throwing distance
really do go the extra mile to make your stay pleasant and also demonstrate how they value your business. THOR have become complacent, which combined with rooms that are not cheap, makes for a pretty unsatisfactory stay.

Room Tip: When they say a high room ask how high. Their idea of high still leaves you without a view other tha...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ducati R
Hello Ducati R, thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor. We use reviews like yours to focus in on where we need to improve and it is a great tool for us.
That being said I am concerned about your less-than-stellar stay at Hotel on Rivington. We definitely do not practice handling guest service issues like yours in that fashion, so I am sorry. I would like to personally invite back to the hotel and promise to extend a discounted rate and room upgrade. I am sure we can win you back as the loyal guest you have been to us.

Please feel free to contact me directly anytime.

aperabo@hotelonrivington.com