“A gem you hate to recommend!”
Review of The Broome

The Broome
Ranked #8 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Austin, Texas
“A gem you hate to recommend!”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I loved the Broome. I am writing this review because this property truly deserves a rave but I hate doing it: I don't want to lose my very own private haven in the heart of Soho!
The Broome only has 14 rooms. It's on a major artery of Lower Manhattan and yet, from our courtyard room (no. 24) we did not hear a car horn, an engine running, or even a dog barking, The room, while small (welcome to NYC) is very completely furnished, and one lacks for nothing, Wifi was free.
Breakfast is served downstairs and was part of the room fee.
You feel the minute you arrive that you are staying with friends. It is such an unusual and privileged feeling to have in NYC.
The location, for foodies and shoppers alike, cannot be beat. You are within walking distance of 20 great restaurants (at least) and countless boutiques.
One of the hotel's owners was on hand at all times and personally made sure that I got a car service to the airport during rush hour. When the first car service quote came in very high he went back and contacted two others for me!
The best part is that this hotel offers real value in a city where I have all but given up on finding any.

Room Tip: Room 24 and 25 are ultra convenient and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Sasha S, General Manager at The Broome, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Cicirider,

WOW! This is what we're all about! It was a sincere pleasure having you with us during our opening months. Until next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Despite the lack of user reviews / info on this place we decided to stay here and very glad we did. As others have pointed out, I felt like I was at a European hotel, specifically Paris (believe the owners are French anyway). I don't need to tell you that the location is fantastic, and everything else balanced out quite well. A few highlights:

For a boutique hotel, the rooms were extremely quiet (they have doubled up windows - literally zero street noise) so I was able to get a very good night's rest.

Linens and bed were very comfortable.

The room itself was small but very comfortable. It's NY - the amount of time you will spend in there is negligible anyway. I have stayed in a good number of NY and European hotels so the size did not bother or surprise me but likely will others not used to it. Mainly Americans coming from various cities I'm referring to.

Room was filled with all the necessities and thensome. For instance, I left a toothbrush at home but didn't even need to call downstairs because an extra one was waiting for me in the room. We had a handwritten card welcoming us with complimentary water bottles and handmade chocolate in the room upon arrival.

Nice and quality carpeting / decorations / furniture / paint job in the room - this is a new place and basically untouched at this point. Really felt good considering I have stayed at plenty of NY hotels and even the larger ones seem to let everything go.

Bathroom was very nice with great touches in construction. It was also given enough space despite the room size, so I didn't feel crammed at all in there.

Awesome little courtyard in the center of the building with a nice cafe at the bottom. Really unique and beautiful aspect you wont find elsewhere. Free continental breakfast comes included. I had an amazing long drip coffee in the morning to start my day.

You won't find Ritz Carlton bum kissing kind of service here, but if you need it, the staff will get it done. It is a more laid back mentality with a sense of urgency as opposed to more corporate treatment packed with confusion. All hands on deck seems to be the way this place is run, which was more than sufficient.

I would definitely stay here again, no questions asked, as well as recommend it others. I have never written a review about a NY hotel but then again, never stayed at a place quite like this. Have fun in NY!

Room Tip: $50 upgraded rooms are facing the courtyard with main benefit being larger bathroom. Regular rooms o...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank winias
Sasha S, General Manager at The Broome, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Winias,

Thank you so much for your recent stay and for sharing your experience! We're always so happy to hear when our guests appreciate the thoughtful extras! We look forward to welcoming you back home soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This is a very charming small hotel with only 14 rooms (or so). The rooms are on the small side but very well designed, with nice, modern furnishing, including a full length mirror, a large shower and very comfortable bed with first rate linens. The room was quiet with no appreciable street noise. The television had all cable channels.

The breakfast area is on the other side of the interior courtyard, and was quiet, with cappuccino available, a restful place to read the paper before starting the day. The food was similar to the spread you would find in Europe: pastries, smoked salmon and good bread, and the breakfast was included in the rate.

The location was in the heart of Soho, with all the small shops. I only stayed one night and had no problems with crowds, but as I left I noticed that the streets were becoming crowded with tourists. Don't know if this would affect me on a longer stay.

Room Tip: I booked the deluxe queen with patio. The patio requires that you exit the room before going to a s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank nhentschel
Sasha S, General Manager at The Broome, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
nhentschel,

As such a seasoned traveler, your opinion and feedback means so much! Thank you for staying with us in our opening months and taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed everything about our stay. The owner was there everyday checking on all the details. The hotel was small but the rooms and bathrooms were well designed and seemed spacious. The owner suggested a couple restaurants nearby including the Fiat Cafe and Oro. Both were perfect. Bed and bed linens were ultra lux. We will be back if we can get in. I have a feeling this Hotel will get more and more popular.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank holymooly
holymooly,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We're so glad you had a chance to eat at Fiat Cafe, our sister restaurant. We'll always try to make room for our loyal guests!

Cheers,
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed at the Broome for a weekend in NYC with my daughter. We were given the Penthouse suite at a very reasonable price. The room was lovely with its own private terrace which was beautifully landscaped with gorgeous plants - we lucked out on the weather which was fairly mild and sunny so we had our breakfast with the NY Times on the terrace every morning - sheer bliss - it recalled the earlier days when I used to live in NY. The room was tastefully decorated with contemporary furniture and the bed was very comfortable with beautiful linens. We were welcomed to our room with an amazingly good small box of Jacques Torres chocolates (a great discovery for me). The Broome is very well located close to great shops, restaurants, and the subway. It is located on a fairly calm street so noise was never a problem for us. The owners were especially welcoming and really went out of their way to insure we had everything we needed. I would highly recommend this hotel and I really look forward to being back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sasha S, General Manager at The Broome, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Liv o,

Thanks so much for noticing our thoughtful extras. It was a pleasure having you with us at The Broome!

Until next time,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights last week. Great location in the centre of soho.
Rooms compact but very well furnished - very comfortable beds & linens.
Great rain shower and bathroom amenities. Very quiet with soundproof windows. Reception staff couldn't have been more helpful. Excellent European breakfast with fantastic coffee! A stylish little oasis in the heart of soho- Would return for a short break

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ruckie1
ruckie1,

It was such a pleasure to meet you both! Thanks for taking the time to chat with us and provide some helpful feedback. We hope that you'll visit again next time your travels bring you across the pond!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I got a great rate on hotel tonight and had an excellent night's sleep. My wakeup call involved bringing coffee to my room! So wonderful. Love this place and the feel of it. The bed was great, sheets and towels wonderful and the sink in the room made it handy. Great for couples or business and so accessible to everything!

Room Tip: Ask for a room towards the courtyard--it will be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank katimjo
katimjo,

We're so glad you found us on Hotel Tonight! We hope to welcome you back for a longer stay next time.