“Cooking in New York: A Five-Day Global Culinary Adventure!”

The Institute of Culinary Education
More attraction details
Owner description: ICE features award-winning career training programs in the Culinary Arts, Pastry & Baking Arts, Culinary Management and Hospitality Management, as well as one of the world's largest catalog of recreational cooking, baking and wine education classes in the nation, as well as hands-on cooking parties for private and corporate events. Over 26,000 people a year enjoy 1,500 recreational classes -- learning techniques, skills and experiencing flavors from every corner of the culinary world. Our recreational cooking classes are offered day and night, 355 days a year. Located in the heart of Manhattan, ICE has 14 state-of-the-art kitchens - the same as the pros use - filled each day with cooking, learning, tasting, and fun.
Reviewed November 4, 2011

"Cooking in New York: A Five-Day Global Culinary Adventure!" is the title of the class that I took at ICE Culinary's Recreational Dept in October. This is 5 days of touring different areas of Manhattan, eating at restaurants, shooping at markets, and returning to the school for group cooking, knife skills and a wine tasting. It is an amazing experience.
A little background - I am a working class single guy in my 40's that loves food (too much lol). I lost my mom last year and this was my special treat to myself on the anniversary of her passing. I never thought I would get to do this, but am grateful for the opportunity.
Day 1 - Tour of Chinatown, Dim Sum lunch at Grand Harmony restaurant, Knife Skills class, Wine Tasting
Day 2 - Breakfast at Payard Patisserie, JB Prince restaurant supply, Lunch at Bar Breton, French cooking
Day 3 - Breakfast at Ferrara bakery, shopping in Little Italy, Italian cooking
Day 4 - Breakfast at Sarabeth's, shopping in Spanish Harlem, Latin cooking
Day 5 - Breakfast at City Bakery, shopping at Union Square Greenmarket, American bistro cooking.
Let me just say that this was a lot to take in for a country boy but I loved every minute of it. I was tired at the end of every day but also energized by seeing so much of the city. The others in my class were native New Yorkers so I got a great perspective from those that live locally. We definitely saw a lot of the city!
The quality of the instructors and guides was very impressive. There were chefs, of course, but also book authors and entrepreneurs. Everyone was an expert at their craft and generous in sharing their skills.
Anyone with time in NYC should take at least a single class through ICE's Recreational Dept. If you have a week, the cost of this particular experience is well worth it.

3  Thank Curtis24401
in 11 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 6 reviews

Reviewed March 25, 2011

I took the "French Cooking" class as it sounded like a "Julia Child" type of activity. Our teacher was knowledgeable, but the class size was far too large for her to oversee effectively, and this resulted in many people just working through recipes on their own. It also meant the more experienced students in the class had to help the absolute beginners. I also felt there wasn't enough attention to health and safety as it took quite a while for a large cream spill in a major classroom thoroughfare to be cleaned up, and several people slipped through it.

Having said all that, the dishes produced were good, using top ingredients, and the others in the classroom were great to share the meal with. There were couples, friends, work colleagues and many individuals in our class, and everyone was made to feel welcome. I would just recommend that they keep their class size down a bit for more personalized attention.

Reviewed January 19, 2011

Took a baking class (brownies) and it was truly the worst class I ever took. The brownies and bars were literally inedible and the teacher (Lori Kaplan) offered little in the way of assistance. I was hoping to come away with some brownie recipes I could use forever, but instead I came away with nothing except being down $230 (there were 2 of us). To ICE's credit, I did tell them my concern and they offered us another class so I am impressed that they responded to my concern. I just hope the result is better.

Reviewed September 29, 2008

The Institute of Culinary Education offers an extremely vast number of classes, including everything from basics like Knife Skills to specifics like Thai Cooking. They also make their beautiful kitchens available for private corporate sessions, which was my reason for attending the school. My company threw a private class/dinner for clients. We were able to create our own menu, which contained Japanese specialties like sushi, miso cod, and chocolate cake with green tea sauce.

We were greeted with wine, beer, and appetizers, like dumplings, upon arrival. We then reviewed the menu and decided which part of the meal we wanted to assist with. We split into groups and got cooking on one of the courses. The instructors were very helpful and provided great insight. However, they were very protective of the actual cooking and were tried to keep control of the procedures. We all could have benefited from more hands-on experience.

The recipes were terrific, though, and we enjoyed a lovely dinner after our hard work. We also left the evening with all of the recipes we had made and a list of all upcoming courses.

I definitely plan to enroll in a few!

1  Thank intlfoodtrvl
See more reviews
Reviewed January 11, 2008

This culinary school offers "recreational" courses that are superb. I just completed a 3-evening bread baking course taught by the head baker at one of the premier artisan bread companies in NYC. The classes were better than any I took at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY. It included a dinner prepared by the students training in their chef program. There are many courses offered, most of which are one-day or one-evening, and this is a wonderful way to experience NYC like a native. Some of the courses even include shopping at an ethnic market prior to food prep. I will absolutely be back for more! TIP: The Clarion Hotel in Jamaica Queens is a new, clean, inexpensive place to stay while visiting NY.

3  Thank Imabizzybee