“Home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Harlem Flophouse
Ranked #18 of 76 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I will stay here again! I found the hotel to be so welcoming, with antique furniture and
cozy living spaces. Guests not only have the comfort of their spacious rooms, but the use of a lovely entry and living room space. My bed was quite comfortable and I slept well as it was quiet
and cozy in my room. There are many wonderful places to eat and drink nearby and the host is
very helpful in providing guests with a list and directions. It is also easy to get to all parts of Manhattan from the hotel by using the subway nearby. If you prefer a cab, these are plentiful as well. I felt safe and was happy to have found such a lovely place to stay at a great value!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Sharon T

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had less than 24 hours in Harlem, arriving from Boston at Sunday lunchtime and flying out early on Monday, but the Harlem Flophouse was an inspiring stop! Friendly advice and help on finding somewhere to eat and booking an early cab was really appreciated, and we managed a whistle stop tour of Harlem highlights. We loved the accommodation - the family ( parents and three teens) took the two middle rooms ( so had a fabulous bathroom to ourselves), found the jazz ambiance welcoming, warm and cosy. We loved the creaky wooden stairs, the old wood panelled rooms and old books - a really lovely eclectic mix. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Hilary C
Reviewed October 20, 2013

In its favour, this hotel was relatively cheap, in a quiet area with a subway station nearby. The small number of rooms also should have meant a quiet stay. However the stairways are narrow and awkward for luggage, and everything creaked with age, especially the bed, which was a major annoyance. The attempt at a jazz age ambience is successful, and the rooms are laid out attractively, but the hotel is too dark, the manager was difficult to track down and most critically the only shower in the hotel was not on our floor.
If you do stay here the recommendations provided for eating are very good, and there is no need to be concerned about the safety of the location.

Room Tip: Stay on the first floor if you want to be close to the shower. There is only a bath on the top floor...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Stuart_and_Becky
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This place is great! the value is excellent, loved having a radio in the room instead of a television. the rooms are spacious and incredibly well decorated. Felt like a home away from home for us.

Been to NYC before, but haven't ventured above 86th st. Glad we chose to come up north, the neighbourhood felt safe and there are a few great bars and restaurants in the area. The express subway gets you down to midtown in about 30 mins, and a taxi home at 1am costs about $20.

The street the Flophouse is on is nice and quiet, we didn't have any noise issues (summer, sleeping with the windows open) the beds are comfy, slept fine.

We had an AirBnB check in disaster, and had to extend our reservation and rented the room across the hall for my mother who was meeting us in town that day. Rene the owner was super accommodating and even my mother (fussy and critical) was happy and thought the bed was comfy (she has back troubles) If it hadn't been for the stairs I would have cancelled the apartment and stayed on at the flophouse.

Thanks to the team at the flophouse for a great stay. :)

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor rather than the third, there is no shower on the third (but there is...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Petekirby
Reviewed August 14, 2013

This guesthouse had the most character of all the accommodations we ever stayed at! Since it is outside the centre, it was affordable for us to stay there during peak season in summer. To the nearest subway its about a 6 or 7 minute walk. It only has four rooms (two on the first floor and another two on the second floor) - so its very quiet. You only share the bathroom with the other room on your floor. The rooms were absolutely gorgious, probably a style from the 1920´s or something. It was a safe place, too (two looked front doors that you have to go through). The only negative about this place: since its got no air conditioning (you get what you pay for i guess), its unbelievably hot and humid in summer. And the huge fan doesnt really help. Also the bath tub, which functions as a shower at the same time, wasnt clean. It seemed like they have just washed their dog in it. But not a huge deal, since you would probably use flip flops anyways. No tv in the rooms. I would definitely come back to this place, even in summer, as its so affordable and neat.

Room Tip: four rooms, two on first floor and two on second floor. On each floor one room is facing the street...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Antje K
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

After reading other people's reviews about the safety in Harlem, you should not worry at all, just excercise the same caution as you would anywhere. There were plenty of places to eat nearby and we felt happy walking everywhere. We arrived and were given a tour of the place by the owners friend as they were away. We were the only guests staying and did not see the host again during the stay, so pretty much left to our own devices which suited us fine. I have to say that the house was immaculately clean, our room was perfectly made up ( the corky hale) and was really beautiful. I love old furniture and period properties so I may be biased here- if you want a super modern place then don't stay here! The room was full of character as was the bathroom down the hallway, full of beautiful pieces of furniture. The house felt like a home from home, the house cat 'phone' stayed with us all night and slept on the base of our bed- she was very sweet. We really enjoyed our stay here and it was great value for money. Would definitely stay in future and recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I was a solo woman traveling to NYC on June/13. Saw the reviews and was very excited about staying here due to the description of the atmosphere and the excellent reviews. Truth is I have no particular complaints about the place but nothing to drag about it either, just that you get what you pay for. For NY the price is good. They are so called B&B but without the breakfast so is just a bed to sleep on. A very clean place, I met Yvonne the day I arrived and she was very helpful and nice and was about the only person I saw there (not even to check out). The rooms are sweet and have a lot of character, so much that you feel transported to another time. Floors are very very noisy, not sure if that bothers other guests specially downstairs. I stayed in room no. 4 and the wireless signal didn't get there so I had to go to the lounge to use internet. Being so close to the train station was very convenient. Rooms only have a noisy portable air con so in summer days they get very stuffy.
About the area.....the first day I got there at 11pm and was told by the locals to do it by taxi, not public transport. That set the scene. Second day during the day didn't feel unsafe at all, although dirty and commercial (that's just NY) but I didn't have any problem with that. At night went out for a walk around the area and didn't get very far. Nothing happened at all, but there were groups of men in a couple of corners eyeing people passing so I went back to the hostel pretty quickly. Knowing that, the other days went just fine.
I would recommend it to everyone to whom only goal is to sleep in a clean bed while traveling on a budget.

Room Tip: Room No. 4 doesn't have internet
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo