“Perfect stay for my NYC Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Harlem Flophouse
Ranked #17 of 77 New York City B&B and Inns
Buffalo, New York
“Perfect stay for my NYC Trip”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My friends and I were looking for an inexpensive and cozy place in the City to live in during our trip to NYC this Spring Break. Chanced upon The Harlem Flophouse when searching for a B&B and decided to book it. It costs us about $40 per night, per person, for my group of 3. For this rate, it has got to be one of the most affordable inn in city. The room was wonderful, filled with antiques and decorations seemingly from the early 40s 50s era. I was surprised some of the stuff even work at all, (the lamps, radio and stuff.) Overall, it gave a very vintage feel, one that I have never got to experience before, and I totally enjoyed my stay. The room was very welcoming and made a good shelter for our weary legs every night.

The innkeeper even assisted us in printing out our e-tickets and additional documents that we required along the way, for our trip in NYC.

Not to mention, the innkeeper's cat, Phoebe, was such a darling. Often coming up to our room (3rd floor), and looking for some company. We left our room doors slightly ajar at night to allow her access, and there she was almost every single morning we woke up, either sleeping on the comforter on the floor, or watching birds out at the window. As a cat lover and owner myself, Phoebe really made me feel more at home, and made the stay even more memorable.

Thanks Rene, for the wonderful hospitality you offered throughout my stay. Will definitely look to return for my next NYC trip again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Thelonius Monk Room throughout our stay. 3rd level shared bathroom does not have a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank hanpingd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Great place. Really feel like you're staying back in the 30s or 40s. Beautiful rooms and bathrooms. Super close to the subway. The bed was so comfortable. Loved it. Harlem is where it's at.
The owner was really nice. It feels really private though since he doesn't hang around. We were never bothered and came and went as we pleased.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shirasom
belgium
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights. The reason we booked this place, you can't call it a hotel or a b&b, was for it's location (near a subway) and the price. The house is very nice in a quiet street. The rooms are okay, the bed good. The rooms have no private bathroom, but the shared bathrooms are kept spic and span. The first night it was extremly hot, so the owner put a second fan in our room. It helped a bit, so if you are a a/c freak, on hot days this isn't for you. The room is basic but clean, I just wished there was a small fridge in the room so I could have kept my water and beer cool. A walk to the subway takes about 10 min. and harlem is very nice with plenty of places to eat and drink.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mightygreek
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I thought I wrote a review for this place but apparently I didn't. My Partner and I stayed here during the Christmas season. I do not remember the names of the owners but remember that the guy was nice but the gal wasn't all that friendly. Maybe because we arrived from Arizona, we felt our room on the 3rd floor was rather cold throughout our stay. Add blankets were provided in the room which helped. The lightning in the bathrooms wasn't the best and water pressure in shower was dismal. On our first morning, we woke up to the sounds of loud music from the owner playing his guitar --- not a happy guest. Overall, I am not shure if would consider this location again if I believed that the service would be better and the mentions above were corrected and improved.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Xavierism
Hallowell, Maine
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was my kind of place, but may not be for everyone. I recommend potential guests read the hotel's website and all of the reviews carefully. I made my arrangements and prepaid online and arrived a bit earlier than I had said I would, but was warmly welcomed, shown my room where I was able to leave my bag until it was ready, shown the bathroom, how to use everything (including the door locks--followed by a quiz), and given my keys.

(I haven't seen it mentioned before, but the proprietor requests that you remove your shoes at the stair hallway before going upstairs, so keep your footwear choice in mind if that is an issue for you. I also brought my own toiletries, which turned out to be a good idea, although the hotel did provide plenty of towels.)

Although the place was apparently fully-booked during my stay, I neither saw nor heard anyone else; it was perfectly quiet and like staying in an old home of a relative. It's location on 123rd St. is two blocks from the Apollo, but it's such a quiet residential street I hardly knew I was in the City. I did not even hear the ubiquitous police and ambulance sirens you might expect. The location is perfect; just steps from restaurants, the Apollo, and the ABCD subway lines and various buses (including the convenient M60 to LGA), and a nice stroll to several interesting and historical Harlem sites and neighborhoods.

I stayed in the Chester Himes Room, which faces the street on the second floor, and is closest to the bathroom with the shower in the tub. It was spacious, comfortable, breezy, had everything I needed, was brightly sunlit during the day, and quiet at night. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The second-floor bathroom has the shower in the tub, but you are free to also use the bathroom on th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Richard H
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Rene the owner may not remember me but I remember him for what he did for me. I am a singer and I was invited to sing for a WONDERFUL women's memory who passed away (Consuela Lee Moorehead) who I looked up to and loved very much (she taught me a lot about music). A lot of musican's flew from all around the world to honor her....that is how much she was loved and respected.

I had NEVER traveled and stayed anywhere TOTALLY ALONE but I really wanted to go. There were no rooms left and I really wanted to stay there because of things I heard about The FLOP HOUSE (especially all the rooms being named after the JAZZ musicans). I called and spoke to the owner and told him my situation. By the GRACE of GOD there was a room cancellation a couple hours later and he called me. I felt very safe and comfortable there. It was like living in your own apartment really. You felt like you were part of the city.

The month I went it snowed HARD one day only!!! He actually called me to find out if I was ok because he knew my situation and told me if I wanted to stay because of HEAVY SNOW and planes my cancelled....he would not charge me. It may not have been a usual thing he does but.....for that situation....he did it for me and I was very grateful and thankful. It was a great experience and I am sorry it has taking me so long to write about it. I stayed there last year.

Theo Valentin

Room Tip: I don't remember the name of my room :-( but......it was down in the basment part by the kitchen...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Hard to rate this one as it is really is beautiful - if you are into interiors you will thoroughly enjoy staying here. It is wonderfully atmospheric, with music playing downstairs and a resident cat - it feels like being part of old Harlem. And yet... the welcome wasn't great, small thing but a smile would have gone a long way - the owners were, for the brief moments we saw them on arrival, helpful though. There are ample warnings on all the material/website etc. that this isn't a place for the air con dependent and I was totally ready for that (I never use it at home), but in a heatwave we had just one small fan and in the top room it was tough. Our sleep was affected quite a lot. It's definitely right that they don't have air con (it would ruin the look/joy of the place) but a couple of bigger fans really are necessary in the hottest months, and we had them in other b&bs/apartments where we stayed. I wanted to love this place, I certainly loved the look of it - perhaps we just unlucky but I think a bit more in terms of customer service is needed before it's a four star

Room Tip: If it's hot, go for one of the lower rooms (not Theolonius Monk).
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple