“Don't be put off by its name” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Harlem Flophouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Harlem Flophouse
Ranked #16 of 74 New York City B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't be put off by its name”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

When my husband heard the name of the place where I would be staying in NYC, he was a little skeptical. However, all was well. The room was very nice, and the bed wonderful. Lighting for reading was acceptable. The memorable thing about the Flophouse was how quiet it was, inside and outside. I slept with the window open and expected to hear some street noise. None. It was very peaceful. The only negative for me was that the bathroom on my floor did not have a shower, but there was one on the floor below. In the end it didn't matter because I overslept and had no time for a shower before rushing to my appointment. I found the neighborhood to be fine (but don't expect a Starbucks nearby). I stayed here as a woman by myself and felt comfortable. As a bonus for those trying to travel inexpensively, there's a public bus that goes to LaGuardia that is convenient and cheap.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank cityslicker3
harlemflophouse, Owner at The Harlem Flophouse, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Hello. Thank you for your visit and your review. There IS a Starbucks on the corner of 125th and ACP Blvd. less than a 3 minute walk away. A bit further is Settipani a cafe with Harlem's signature atmospheric stamp. There are two full baths shared by four rooms. The bottom one has a large claw-foot tub with antique shower fixtures. The top one has a smaller cast iron claw-foot tub without a shower. Sometimes guests indulge in the peaceful experience of taking a leisurely bath there especially in the afternoon when nobody is around. I am glad you felt safe walking around Harlem. Most people are not aware of how much it has improved.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

I loved the ecclectic atmosphere, the assortment of antiques, the Brownstone neighborhood. It is a quick and easy walk to the subway. The room was comfortable enough, and the overall experience was interesting.
BUT, this is a "B no B", rather than a B & B. Don't expect to see the owner once you have checked in. He appears to busy with other pursuits. As long as you are self-sufficient and have no need for his help in any way, this place will suit you. Kind of like the self check-out lane at the supermarket. I stayed here as a single woman alone, would not do it again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kprintmaker
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights at the Harlem flop house and we were on the whole very impressed. The flop house was cozy and had a relaxed atmosphere with jazz playing at low level in the rooms. The bedroom was big, nicely decorated and comfortable. One downside was that the bath on our floor was very small, especially for someone my height (6'3), but there was a shower on the floor below that was fine. The flop house is well located with excellent transport links to the majority of sights we wanted to visit on our short break

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank IamG
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

Overall we enjoyed staying at the Harlem Flophouse. Rene, the owner, has done an amazing job restoring the house, resulting in a quirky, truly unique place to stay where some of the glamour of New York's Jazz Age has been captured. We were warned off staying in Harlem by friends, but having lived in London and Leeds we're used to multi-cultural neighbourhoods and the area is much safer than its reputation would have you believe. Also, it's extremely well connected, being close to the subway for trains to all the major touristy sites in Manhatten.
No TV, and the wi-fi was a bit pants at times, but there are lots of books to read and a radio in the room. Bathroom was very clean and beautifully decorated.
Only downers for us were that the bed was small and quite uncomfortable, and on our first night I had to go and shout at some other guests making a racket at 1am (but that was just the luck of the draw with housemates).
Overall I'd highly reccomend the Flophouse for a cheap-ish, clean, well-connected place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sweet Briar, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

My friend & I stayed at The Harlem Flophouse the night of New Year's Eve 2012. We just needed a place to crash for a few hours. We had to pay for 2 nights, but this was still cheaper at the last minute than one night anywhere else.

We loved it! The bathrooms were squeaky clean. It felt safe and was very quiet. We met cool Canadians. The only downsides were very minor. For instance, if you are allergic to cats, this is not for you. The cat goes everywhere. And the mattress was kind of thin & hammocky. But we didn't care. Great basic place for calm, quiet, cat lovers to relax and catch a few Zs. It's gorgeous too.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed at the Harlem Flouphose for 2 nights at the early December - and enjoyed every minute of it! My room was enourmous and comfortable, everything very clean and the bed great! Traveling a female alone, I still felt quite safe to came back alone at 10-11pm (from the subway sation). The location is great - two subways stations just a couple of blocks away as well as buses. Free Wii-fii was also availible which makes things easier if you don't have a smartphone connection - like me.
Causy and nice - I just so happy I ignored my friends who tried to talk me out of staying at Harlem and stayed at this place! I'd defently recommend it to anyone who looks for a nice place to stay at nights while enyojing NY during days, for reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Anna F
Thibodaux, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

We just spent 5 nights at the Harlem Flophouse. It is a very beautiful home and I was glad we decided to stay. However, it is not really a bed and breakfast. It reminds me of a upscale lodging house or hostle. The bed and bathroom are very clean. The bed mattress is uncomfortable, but I am use to my pillow top at home. The owners are vey nice, but are not chatty as you would expect at a traditional BB. There is a no shoe policy in the house, but if you think about how many subways your shoes have been on I would not want shoes in my house either. I think what you have to keep in mind is this is their home. They has friends or family over on Thanksgiving it was a little noisy with a child singing and beating on a drum set, but everything was peaceful at 11pm. I do think the owners should consider three things. First, if you have guests staying for a week on the third day you should provide fresh towel and wash cloth. The 700 plus dollars justifies clean bath linen without a $25 surcharge. Second, if having a party of friends over maybe a note posted of when you expect your home to be quiet or have quiet hours policy in place. Finally, replace the mattresses with something of better quality and fix the slates so they do not fall out of the bed. Really every room should have a queen size bed not a double. Again we enjoyed our stay and it is very clean. The jazz music is also very nice. We did not see a cat, but would have loved it if we did. I would recommend staying at least one night for a Harlem experience. You will be pleased and happy you did if only for the rennovation of this lovely home.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family