All reviews bagels bunk beds madison square park the flat iron building no window great location new york every morning small room place to sleep would definitely stay here again quiet street stayed for nights subway stop times square tv manhattan
Selected filters
Reviewed June 5, 2019 via mobile

Overall I was very disappointed.
The positives, cheap and not a bad location.
The negatives, I emailed asking for directions from Newark airport they replied stating I get a train from the airport to grand central then from there to 23rd street, sounded simple enough, turns out it’s not simple by train at all, you have to get an airport train to one stop, from there to penn station, from there you have to walk to another station then from there to 23rd street, the point I am making is these incorrect instructions led to a stressful and wasteful journey in terms of time and money. All you need to do from the airport is get a bus outside to grand central station then from there tube it to 23rd street.
The staff expect one guy who checked us in were so uninterested it was unbelievable, hardly a hello or goodbye when coming in and out, talk about how to make you feel welcome. Which leads to the atmosphere around the place, I was aware there was no real communal area but my god the place is lifeless.
Upon arrival our room smelt of damp and had hair all over the “clean” pillow, we raised this with staff and was moved to another room, disgusting. The rooms are so basic it’s unbelievable, the bunk beds creak SO loud it’s beyond a joke.
The breakfast is a con really, unless you are down at 7am sharp you will miss out on a seat to eat at as there is limited seating and you will miss out on the best stuff like waffles, buns and donuts, we came down at 10am once and there was literally nothing left, why advertise 7-11am if your not going to keep it stocked up till 11.
Communal shower area was basic and not very nice, hot water was temperamental.
Overall this accommodation actually put a downer on my experience of New York, I wish i never stayed here and would pay more in future and have at least a degree of comfort. Would not recommend at all.

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2019 via mobile

Clean, friendly and AMAZING never ending breakfast. (There were even snacks left out in the evening when we got in!) Location was good, 2 blocks to subway, near Flatiron. Would definitely stay here again. Highly recommended !

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2019

If you made it to check into this accommodation, you might have a peasant experience. But my reservation was cancelled just a few days before the originally booked check-in date due to 'over-booking', which caused quite some inconvenience. So, use your judgement to decide if you would like to trust the owner.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Resnet
Reviewed November 1, 2018

This one can't be booked through 3rd parties, and is certainly therefore a hidden gem.

Pros
A private room with a bathroom sink, including breakfast, in a very good location, for under $100 a night.
Standard of room was fine. No window but you get what you pay for. No issues with comfort of bed.

Cons
The hostel wasnt very sociable, but this doesnt lose a star because it's not advertised as such. I stayed for 3 nights in Hostel International and then 3 nights here which was a nice balance between meeting people and attending social events and having private space and comfort.

Room tip: My room didn't have a window, but I booked late and it was the last room left.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2018 via mobile

I stayed in this hostel for 6 nights and have mixed feelings about it:

Location:
very good in central Manhattan in Gramercy borrow, which is not so crowded and a good starting point for any sightseeing trip.

Breakfast: Definetly the best argument to stay in the hostel. Very various and delicious breakfast in a cosy breakfast room.

Room:
We had a very small room, which was not much bigger than the size of our bunk bed with window to the street.
It is noisy in the street so I would recommend ear plugs during the night.
The critical point was the bed:
The bunk bed was very shaky and queky, so any movement in the bed could be heared. It was not fixed with the wall and the upper bed, which had a fench around it was too small for me ( I am 1.87m tall).
The mattress was quite old and in consequence not very comfortable. Should be possible to change it from time to time.

I would recommend the hostel if you are not sensitive in that. For a better room/ bed I woild give 2 points more to the hostel.

Date of stay: October 2018