“my 4th stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

American Dream Hostel
Toronto, Canada
“my 4th stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

It's becoming like my 2nd home in my home away from home. I love NY, but it is SO expensive... this place is decently priced, centrally located on the east side (if the Met is as far north as you'd go and Battery Park as far south), clean with friendly staff. All other considerations are really beside the point; you are in NYC, all you need is a comfortable base of operations and a nice place to sleep. Just remember to ask for the outside door-code, if on the odd chance the door is locked at night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank theBigBucketList

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Excellent location, right in the Village! Also close to the trains. We had a room with bunk beds but the bottom bunk was big enough for us both. The breakfast was also great, with eggs, bread, juice, coffee, fruits, cereal etc. They keep the bathrooms very clean, we were lucky enough to be on the 3rd floor, when there wasn't much occupancy, so we basically had the bathrooms to ourselves. The rooms is provided with a small tv and sink. There are no closets, just a small area to hang some clothes. This is a great place to stay for a few days to enjoy the city! Also a great value!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed here for one night because they were fully booked the 2 previous nights I was in NYC. What a shame for me! When I arrived I was met by a very friendly and generous receptionist.

I stayed in a 4-bed female dorm which was spacious and impeccably clean. There were a number of toilets and showers on our floor, all of which were clean and spotless.

Also in the hostel was a kitchen, 2 computers with internet and a printer (useful for printing out those boarding passes!)

It was a quiet place and the location was great, about 2 blocks from the 6 train and near all sorts of small eateries. This was the nicest hostel I've stayed in and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank DovPanda
East Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

The American Dream Hostel is a great place to stay. Its a nice place to come back to after long busy days in the city. Its a cross somwhere between a hostel and a bed and breakfast. It is small and home like. The staff is excellent. Very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. The rooms are a bit small, but clean and secure. They come with tv's, radios, and air conditioners and I felt very safe. The breakfast is excellent. Above and beyond what I was expecting.

Room Tip: There are bathrooms on all three floors, so if it is being used on your floor, just go up or down st...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

The hostel was very clean and the rooms quite spacious. It is right near the empire state building and the brooklyn subway. There are lockers too. The hostel had alot of older residents so if you are looking to party this is not the place for you. The free breakfast was always amazing and the internet facilities were also good.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

We stayed 2 nights last week, and have to admit we were solidly impressed by this little hostel (which, as others say, is really somewhere between hostel and B&B). The first night my partner and I were in Rm 7 on the ground floor, which had a double bed with a single bunk above ($119). It was very clean, modern and well appointed, the air con was much appreciated, but could do with a heavier curtain to block the lights from the street at night.

Unfortunately, the next morning I caught a bedbug walking over the sheets (easy to see as the linens are hotel standard bright white cotton). I had searched the mattresses for signs of bugs on check-in and was relieved to have not found any, so was very disappointed to discover that even this place was infested. I washed it down the sink and told reception, and I hope they manage it before it gets out of control. The mattresses do not show signs of infestation so hopefully the problem is still low-level. I found the telltale bite on my elbow the following day. Needless to say all my belongings will be laundered in a high heat dryer before allowing them back in my house.

The 2nd night I stayed alone in Rm 23 on the 2nd floor ($79). This room (with a single set of bunk beds) was slightly more depressing, as it was windowless and dark, but still clean, and had a sink and tv inside the room. No sign of bugs and no bites that night, thankfully. The bathrooms on the 2nd floor are kind of comically tiny, tucked into the wall like cupboards, but they are very clean and newly built, and very well furnished. Little touches like q-tips and cotton balls by the sinks were really a cut above. I never had to wait for a shower and the water pressure was great. In the shower downstairs the hot water seemed to be going in and out, perhaps there was another one going at the same time.

Lastly, the breakfasts here really are extraordinary. When I stayed, they had cereals, toast, juices, pancakes, bacon, eggs, and all kinds of other random stuff like olives, edamame, dried fruits, and tonnes more I can't remember. (Personally, I have never come across marinated bocconcini at a hostel before!) Plus there seemed to be snacks and junk food galore if you wanted it. I was happy that the guests were all mostly quiet as well, it didn't have that "youth hostel" party vibe, even though there were plenty of backpacker types about.

This place is quite homey, and the owner and staff are low key and chill. I needed to leave my bags on the day I checked out and they had no problem with it. If the luggage bupboard is full (which is well ad truly was) you can leave your stuff at reception, which I thought was safer anyway. Free wi-fi is great. (Plus there was a computer room if you don't have your laptop) The location is awesome. 10min walk to Union Square, subway stations all around, 24hr pharmacies on every block and lots of late night food options.

Generally a relaxed and respectful place, but get the exterminators in! I would have unequivocally given it 5 stars if not for that, and the fact that I still gave in 4 in spite of it says a lot, because bedbugs are repulsive.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank quinnsmith
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

I was really hesitant to stay in a hostel in NYC and I couldn't find many recent reviews for American Dream so my friend and I took a chance and I really feel it paid off. The location is brilliant and the neighbourhood is safe and full of amenities. You can hail a cab within seconds and it's only 3 blocks to the subway (28th Street on the 5 Line- this line can take you uptown or downtown, perfect for all the main sites). The hostel itself is more of a B&B but it has the hostel charm and the other guests were super friendly. Andre and Lou were happy to carry our cases to and from our room, but you may have to ask for assistance. Alix, on the front desk, is very sweet, there's another guy who has the personality of a potato, but the internet is free and phonecalls just 25c so you can find things out for yourself or ask your fellow guests! My friend and I stayed in room 35 on the 2nd floor, right at the end of the hall. Rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. I think the value for money is brilliant. We looked at several other smaller and more expensive hostels. Our room had a bunk bed, sink, mirror, hanging space and TV with stand. It was boiling hot while we were staying so we were really grateful for the air con! I found the bathrooms clean and never had to wait for a shower. The water is a little unpredictable, and does fire hot and cold randomly but they're good strength and a nice tonic after a crazy day pounding the streets! Our room was lovely and quiet, with no noise from the street or other guests. A free breakfast is laid out from around 7-11am. It's a nice start to the day, fruit, pastries, tea and coffee, juice, cereals, pancakes and various other things that change on a daily basis. There's an internet room next door to the kitchen with heaps of guides and pamphlets, two computers and a printer. There are more printers in the reception area. Although the hostel was very safe, I still chose to put my passport and other valuables in the safe at reception and never had any issue accessing them.

I would really recommend American Dream. For the price it's a steal: great location and great atmosphere. What more do you want for $55 a night! Thank you and see you soon.

Room Tip: Room 35 for two people- so quiet!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends