“Fulfils your needs in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of American Dream Hostel

American Dream Hostel
Coalville, United Kingdom
“Fulfils your needs in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

The main pull when choosing this hostel was the location and it certainly fits the bill in terms of a well located place to stay in Manhattan. It's on 24th St which means it's never too far between the northern and southern attractions of Manhattan and for anything further afield, the subway is only a few minutes walk away. It's also felt very safe whatever time I was leaving or returning with plenty of people about.

The staff on the whole were very accommodating. I actually had three separate stays where I needed to store luggage between each stay and while most of the staff were happy with this, when it came to checking out the first time I came up against a guy who told me I couldn't because of 'insurance reasons' on orders of the owner. However after showing him a chain of e-mails I'd printed just in case of this very scenario, I was allowed to - just something to be aware of.

Complimentary self-service breakfast is provided in a small kitchen. It's a good breakfast though with plenty of options and enough to eat to keep you going for a while.

I stayed in three different rooms while I was there, the first had pipes running through that made a horrendous amount of noise almost on the dot every hour through the night waking me up each time (room 16 - avoid). The other two were fine though. All rooms include a wash basin but I don't think any are ensuite. The shared bathrooms are basically a single shower and toilet (with a separate toilet next door too), I never had to queue to get in and they are well maintained and clean, something which can be said for the whole place.

It's worth mentioning too that this isn't at all a party hostel. Apart from the kitchen, internet rooms, there is no bar or communal area. However, why would you want to stay in your hostel when you are in New York City anyway!

All in all, I would happily recommend this to travellers such as myself who aren't looking for anything other than a bog standard reasonably cheap place to stop while you explore New York. If you are after an unnecessarily high level of comfort, you probably aren't reading this review anyway.

Room Tip: Avoid room 16, very noisy plumbing
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank dstefanw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

We checked in here after two nights in a hotel near Time Square and weren't dissapointed (we paid a lot less for this than the hotel). Although it's quite a distance from Time Square, it's only a couple of blocks to the closest Subway so getting around isn't a drama. The free WIFI worked pretty well and the breakfast was pretty damn good (included in the cost). This is definately the best hostel we've been to and I'd certainly recommend it to backpackers.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavoandLoz
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Pay hotel rates for a noisy backpackers. Stay clear unless you get a cheap rate.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Oztravel83
Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

It's very well located in Manhattan close to about everything.

The good:
The all hostel is very clean and the people running the place are very friendly.

The bad:
Mostly related to heating (lack of heating in the bathroom's and old and hard to control heating devices in the rooms)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

I walked about 20 minutes to get to this hostel because I wanted to take in the views on the way. By the time I got there I was a bit tired. No problem though, because the front desk staff was very friendly, helpful and kind. My room wasn't ready yet, so he suggested I leave my luggage in the "Luggage room" and rest in the kitchen. Sounded good to me since I was tired from the long walk.

The luggage room looked like it had been remodeled recently because it was brand-spankin' new. I left my luggage there and went to the kitchen and where I was told I could help myself. I saw a jar of chocolate chip cookies and fell in love with the place. How could you not love a place that gives you free chocolate chip cookies?

The kitchen looked newly remodeled too as it was new, and cute. I relaxed with my cookie and my NYC map. In 20 minutes my room was done, and I got settled in.

I booked a private room, which had a bunk bed in a small, narrow room with a storage unit, a mirror, mini TV and sink. It was a bit narrow, and the room was all white except for the blue curtains, but I only stayed one night and felt very safe, comfortable and at ease.

The hostel has a washer and dryer which I used since I packed light. Everyone there was very conscientious about being quiet and respectful. The shower and bathroom seem to be newly remodeled too as they had new tile and paint. I was on the first floor so I don't know what the rest of the upper floors looked like.

Later that day I ran into a different staff person and he was just as friendly and helpful as the first, so it was nice to see it was not a hit-or-miss deal here.

I also ran into a mother-daughter pair who said they stayed there everytime they visited NY from Europe and this was their 7th stay. It was nice to hear that and made it feel all the more cozy.

I was happy with my stay and would recommend it anyone else.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

The price is right, the staff are friendly enough, the rooms, bathrooms and common areas are clean and its centrally located. Its a hostel, what are you really expecting?

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Aus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

My partner and I stayed at American Dream Hostel last week and definitely recommend it. I was initially very nervous about choosing a hostel due to a bad past experience in the states, although have stayed at numerous hostels across Europe, but I was really impressed with this hostel. Of course it's a hostel, so it's budget, no frills, small rooms etc but it's CLEAN! The bathrooms were the cleanest of any hostel I've stayed the whole time we were there (4 nights on the 3rd floor). It is in a central location and the breakfast was fantastic. Toast, croissants, muffins, fresh fruit, cereal, pancakes etc. When researching we found NY to be so expensive in Nov (at least $200 per night plus tax for a 2 star hotel) that 110 per night for a private room (bunk beds) was much more reasonable. Apparently New York has a massive bed bug problem at the moment but we found none at this hostel. Definitely consider this hostel when visiting manhattan!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple