“Worth the search”

Neighborhood: Chinatown
NYS Capital Region
“Worth the search”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

This is a really good place to eat. The food was good, and plenty of it for a reasonable price. The night we went the place was packed, but seating was only few minute wait. The staff was very friendly and courteous, even though it was evident that some spoke very little English (which is quite common in places in this area). The service was swift and efficient, and the language difference was not a problem. We had several different dishes and shared them all for tasting. Everything was really delicious, but I especially liked the Asparagus with shrimps in Belacan sauce. This is something you don’t find just anyplace. My friend really liked the Curry Seafood soup, and said they would get it again, the next time we came here, and we will certainly return. I love different cuisines, and this is really unusual from the hum-drum of most towns and cities. Having travelled in Southeast Asia, and Asia I can tell you that this is as close to authentic as you can get here. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank thegormandizer

ny
“Good to very good Malaysian food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

Roti Canai, much like Pad Thai is to Thai food, is a bellwether by which you can judge whether a Malaysian restaurant has its chops or not. It is a small starter dish of not too spicy curry sauced laced with a few meaty morsels of chicken that is served with a flatbread or crepe.. The Crepe, or Roti, in particular is a good judge of the skill of the kitchen. They should be airy, fluffy, and chewy as well as slightly crunchy with a buttery flavor all at the same time, as they are at Nonya. At New Malaysia, the flavors are there, but we found the crepe itself slightly too thick, and the small pancake diameter wasn't as pleasing as the LP record served with an order at Nonya. The yellow curry was very good, in fact, every bit as good as the one Nonya serves.

I love Ipoh bean sprouts and they are one of the simplest dishes you can imagine. They are bean sprouts blanched for about 30 seconds and garnished with scallions, soy sauce, and sesame oil. On a diet and need a rice or noodle substitute? Ipoh bean sprouts will serve in a pinch. I thought the Ipoh Bean Sprouts were great but Marlon would have liked them just a little crunchier. For heat lovers they are perfectly mated with some Silipadi (see-lee-pa-dee) chili peppers served in soy sauce, available upon request for no charge. The way I remember the name of these chilis is of course to think of Silly Putty, which was ubiquitous in my 70's childhood. If you pressed this magical putty hard enough against a newspaper, you could make an imprint of the funny pages. The putty resembled a big hunk of chewed bubble gum, which is why I'm guessing there are still remnants in my intestinal tract...

For more of my review and pics checkout

• Visited November 2011
Maryland
“Food was just so so. Service was terrible. Not Recommended!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Four of us went there for lunch on a Saturday. For starter, we ordered two roti chanai and two chicken satay. The roti chanai was good, but the chicken satay was very disappointing. The chicken tasted like normal grilled meat on skewers, and the satay sauce tasted like a bunch of crunchy ground peanuts drenched in melted sugar. The satay does not resemble what authentic satay is suppose to be.

For the main course, we ordered four types of noodles cooked in different style to share. We had the Hokkien, Curry, Chow Kueh Teow, and Asam Laksa. Overall, the noodles were so so. We have eaten much better ones at other places.

Here is the reason why I felt their service was terrible. I was the only one who ate most of the Asam Laksa since this dish is cooked with very unsually ingredients in the broth and not many people are used to the flavor. The dish is spicy, sour, and supposed to come with small pieces of fish and some shrimp paste. First of all, I did not see any fish in the broth, and secondly, there's only "a touch" of shrimp paste on the spoon that came with the noodle. Without these two main ingredients, the noodle was just sour and tasteless. So, I asked the waitress if I could have a little more shrimp paste, but was told "NO." She rudely answered "NO," said that they already put the shrimp paste in the broth, and then walked away. I felt like I had said something wrong or offended her. I did not mind paying for the shrimp paste if that's the reason why she had said no, but I was not even offered that option. What a way to treat their customer.

One more note. Restaurant was very small and tight, and there were too many tables in there. We have to sit very close to the table, and the back of our chairs still literally touching the back of the chairs behind us.

Being borned and rasied in Malaysia for 20+ years and still visit there ocassionally, I believe I know my tastes when it comes to Malaysian food. I was very disappointed with the food and service at this place and will not go back again.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Yoda96
Florida
“Great deal for NYC with an authentic tatste.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

Sought out a Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown without doing any homework and found this place.
Service is quick and excellent, price is a great value for lunch (and dinner) for NYC, and it has an authentic tasting menu.
It is not super fantastic but if you have the craving it will settle it for you at a decent price. Place was filled with locals which is always a good sign.

• Visited May 2011
New York
“Authentic Malaysian Food in Chinatown”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

After my recent discovery of Malaysian cuisine out in New Jersey, I was eager to sample my new favorite dishes around Manhattan as well. I have tried the Penang/Nyonya chain and found it decent, but lacking in the quality I found at my local Hoboken spot, Satay. So, when I came across New Malaysia in Chinatown, I thought that would be a great location to scout for an authentic meal. When it comes to legitimacy, this place is spot on. The restaurant is located down a small alleyway, hiding from the tourists and catering to those “in the know”. The straight-forward dining area is full of Asian patrons, a clear sign that this is the real deal. The servers are friendly and happy to offer their advice on the menu.

Once you put me in a Malaysian restaurant, throw any idea of a small meal right out the window. Every dish taunts me with its promise of aromatic flavors and fragrant scents. I wind up with a table topped with more food than I could ever possibly devour. However, if that is not the point of learning about other cuisines, I do not know what is.

My trip to New Malaysia began with several appetizers. First, the Roti Canai (Indian wheat pancake) was its typical warm and flaky self. The accompanying chicken curry dipping sauce was a bit bland, and the solo chunk of included meat had a bone in it. The Achat salad included a blend of shredded pineapple, mango, cucumber, and peanuts. Sour sesame oil provided the acidic dressing, which I could take or leave; the dish was just marginal. The Satay Chicken, on the other hand, was probably the best I have ever had. Each skewer poked through the delicate white meat chicken that had been encased with a mustardy, peanut sauce and then covered with diced peanuts. The crispy bits added a contrasting texture and decorated the chicken like salt cubes on a pretzel stick.

I later ordered one of my standard Malaysian preferences, Sarang Burong (sauteed chicken, shrimp, and cashew nuts in a fried taro shell), and decided to do a direct comparison with my favorite café back in Jersey. While the crispy bowls of starchy taro were similarly delicious, the sauce at New Malaysia was lighter than that at Satay. Sure, it had the benefit of not monopolizing my stomach, but it lacked the savory flavor and seasoning found at Satay. I also tried the daily Baby Shanghai Vegetable, which was a Chinese green that I had never heard of. The name started with an “R” and resembled bok choy. However, it was a darker shade of green, possessed a longer stem, and had a smaller leaf bouquet at the end. The Haianese and Coconut Flavored Rices were tasty, but also had a blandness unlike the aromatic qualities I encountered in New Jersey.

While New Malaysia satisfied my craving for the unique Asian cuisine, I felt that parts of the meal were devoid of the spiced essences that drew me to the food culture in the first place. The restaurant is worthy of repeat business, though, due to its authenticity and leading spot among Manhattan Malaysian cuisine.