6 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.com$322
Priceline$365
Traveluro$246
2,341 results
All reviews fifty nyc great location new york junior suite small kitchen club room spacious rooms rockefeller center front desk staff by nyc standards central park midtown manhattan times square few blocks subway station avenue lounge
Selected filters
Reviewed October 24, 2019

I have no idea how this hotel appears get good reviews, from arrival the staff are unwelcoming and abrupt unless what appears to be that you are an American or a regular. The only other time I went to reception was to ask for address of nearest Doctor as my husband was very ill, she gave me verbal directions which is no good if your just a visitor to NY, I asked for the address and she huffed and said she would need to do a Google search for it, I waited for her to do that! Even the concierge was rude, on arrival he was casually chatting to someone and didn’t even offer to open the door. He did offer huge smiles when our luggage was being held until 4pm and obviously looking for an equally huge tip.

When we arrIved at the reception of Fifty Suites, the chap on reception stated that we had to pay for our room, I produced our travel documents clearly showing, double room and resort fee included, his colleague came across and without lifting their heads said we had to pay the $300 in advance for incidentals that we use….reluctantly we did so. I was now having bad vibes of this place and rightly so! We were given Room 301, this is a dumping room that they don’t even clean the windows of, it’s obviously a room for 3rd party bookings ie, anyone other than direct bookings. The air con for the entire building is right outside the window, that’s the only view, next to the door is the bin chute and next to lift shaft, reception weren’t too pleased but agreed that we could have another room the next day after 3pm and not to unpack. After an extremely noisy sleepless night we moved to 515, the room smells of dampness, the carpets as sticky at parts, the room is dark and shabby and the bathroom lacked any space to move, the housekeeping really need some basic training, our bed was changed once and only because we asked and the top sheet only went half way down and the pillow menu is a joke as the pillows are all well used & worn. In the safe we found a previous guests boarding tickets, proving these rooms are not properly / suitably cleaned for new guests The tea and coffee was also only replenished when requested, the coffee machine is inadequate and fiddly, there is no complimentary water, this is $8 for 500ml at reception the only mirror is in the bathroom and with no fan it steams up and most likely the damp smell is a result of no ventilation, I have never been in a hotel room without a mirror, the blinds do not fit the width of the window, the décor cushion was soiled, the front of the heater was held on by the edge of the chair and my husband did his best to secure it. In addition, you cannot control the room temp as this is done by the hotel so too bad if your cold. They also charge for Wi-fi at £14.95 per day unless this is part of your package. Nothing is explained at check in, the ‘tuck shop’ we learned of later when getting water and the happy hour which we didn’t use is actually one glass of wine if you chose to go.

After all of the above it gets even worse, checking out we were told we didn’t have any charges and she had refunded the $300. Once home I checked our statement as I just could not shake off the bad vibe of this place, they had taken our room payment even though they had seen the paperwork clearly showing we had paid for it and a further 2 unauthorised payments totalling almost $1500. We have had to get our credit card company involved and thankfully it has been resolved albeit the stress and having to cancel our card in case of any other unauthorised payments being taken, could have been worse if we had not used our credit card and used a debit card!

We love NY and were revisiting after being married there 18 months ago, our previous stay was at the wonderful Archer Hotel which was fully booked so we chose this one based on reviews & location, I even emailed prior to going requesting a front facing room as it was a special trip, they didn’t respond! The hotel ruined part of our stay but we will return to NYC but most definitely not to the Fifty Suites by Affinia, who’s Management obviously do not take note of the negative reviews.

Please also note that anyone can walk in and around this hotel and the lifts are not operated with your room card so security is non existent.

Room tip: Read the real reviews and if you decide to go refuse room 301 & use your credit card.
3  Thank Jane S
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty Hotel & Suites by Affinia, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2019

Thank you for your detailed review. Please accept our sincerest apologies for some of the challenges you experienced, as they are certainly atypical of the level of service and quality of product we offer our guests. I was disappointed that you did not have the amazing experience that many of our guests have grown so fond of. Please note that holds for incidentals are extremely common of all US hotels, and I do apologize that this was not communicated clearly to you. I will share your feedback with our team as there is always room to improve guest experiences. Should you like to discuss any further details of your stay, feel free to contact me directly at bgehlich@affinia.com.

Reviewed October 24, 2019

There was brownish dirty water that was coming out the pipe. the hotel sent a repair guy but in the meantime while it was been fixed when my mother asked where she is suppose to get clean water that can be used, the reception told her to go the second floor. Unbelievable !! your pipe give durty water and you cant even offer bottled water to a guest. the guest is required to go down to the 2rnd floor and serve herlself.
what a terrible experience. and my mom was also told by a reception lady there that she was not allowed to buy breakfast from their and add to the room bill. Yet the date before she checked into the hotel I went there myself to pay for the room and put my credit card as guarantee so that any expenses ( foods and breakfast and drinks) are charged to my card. the guy sent me the form and it took me a while to fill out and complete. Saying that I am disapointed in this hotel is an understatement,

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank djamila188

Thank you for your review. Please allow me to apologize for the challenges you experienced, this is certainly not the norm and I have shared your feedback with our management teams in order to address this and ensure an experience like this does not occur in the future. I do hope we'll have another opportunity to welcome you back and wow you with the service we are known for. Should you like to discuss your stay further, feel free to email me directly at bgehlich@affinia.com.

Reviewed October 22, 2019

Rooms are Giant for NYC, Staff is friendly. Very comfortable real estate with nice 2nd floor lounge to hang out in. The only reason I didn't give it a full 5 is this weird daily charge that really was expensive and isn't that useful. I think happy hour drinks should be for free - and the snacks I can pay for.

Room tip: Get a high up room.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Andrew S
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty Hotel & Suites by Affinia, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2019

Thank you for your feedback! I'm pleased to read you enjoyed our spacious and comfortable rooms, and were able to join us for our daily Social Sips wine hour. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed October 21, 2019

My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend Oct 12th. It is well placed for the theaters and for local restaurants. We also walked to and through Central Park. The staff were wonderful, and we enjoyed the wine hour before going out each evening. What really made this visit special was the upgrade to a Junior Suite. Our room was huge, with very comfortable bed and a balcony with great view. We will be back! Thanks to all of the staff for making our weekend special!

Room tip: Highly recommend suite upgrade- very modest cost increase. Worth it for the balcony and view.
1  Thank Chivers9
bgehlich, General Manager at Fifty Hotel & Suites by Affinia, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2019

I'm thrilled to read that you and your wife enjoyed a long weekend with us! We agree our midtown east location puts us in the perfect place to explore all NYC has to offer, as you've noted we're just walking distance to many amazing local restaurants while still being close to major tourist attractions. I'm glad you enjoyed the view from our terrace suites, and I'll make sure to share your feedback with our team, as they will love to read that they were able to make your stay a little more special. We appreciate your review and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed October 21, 2019 via mobile

Having booked this at last minute as Thomas cook ceased trading we should have been in the Rui plaza . It was ok beds was comfy shocking view and no bar but they advertise a wine hr . Never went so can’t comment on that it was clean you had to leave a credit card and it was charged 200 dollars for any room service or extra charges we wasn’t told this and only took a debit card and cash they wouldn’t take so they just said with out a credit card we can’t check you in ! Any way it did get charged to my debit card and I will get charged lesson learnt take my credit card . It was about half hr walk to Times Square but not a problem wouldn’t go back as the location was not ideal for us that was the view from our room with virgin holidays we didn’t stay in the room only to sleep but it was a bit disappointing

Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank mookieSheffield

Thank you for your review, please allow me to apologize if there was any miscommunication regarding the hold we take for incidentals, this is the norm of US hotels, and the deposit is always returned upon check out. We hope we'll have another chance to welcome you back and have you join us for our daily Social Sips wine hour, many of our guests really love it! Thank you again for your feedback.