“Despite the Excellent Location, Customer Service was Terrible!”

Jazz on the Town Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Jazz on the Town Hostel
New York City, New York
“Despite the Excellent Location, Customer Service was Terrible!”
Reviewed April 23, 2010

First of all, the location of this hostel is great. Close to Union Square and both the East and West Villages. Walking distance to SoHo, Meat Packing District and even NoLita and Chinatown.

However, the customer service was absolutely terrible. Im not too sure on what the hiring policy is however they seemed to have picked some really incapable people. Lets get this straight, its a Hostel so naturally people are going to ask questions about what to do and how to get there. I didn't ask these questions as I overheard the responses given to the people checking in before me who were shocked and appalled when they were basically told to go away (apparently checking facebook on the hostels time is more important)

Next, the rooms leave much to be desired. Small, cramped and quite old and run down.
I was moved twice during my 3 night stay so I could never really relax as I didn't know if I was going to be moved every night. A girl staying in my room was forced to check out at 11am, then check back in at 3pm on the same day -- back into the same room. Go figure!

Upon my stay I was told that I had only booked three nights, however I knew full well that I had booked four nights. I didn't argue at the time and just accepted it as fate. I have since checked out and moved hostels to write this review. I called the hostel with my confirmation stating that I booked four nights and I wanted compensation however I was told that I would have to ring back in the morning to speak to the manager. Wonderful news as I will be on the plane.

I loved NYC and also the lower east side, however even for the location I wouldn't stay here again as I cannot stand inadequate service. There is plenty of other Hostels around this area so I would stay elsewhere next time.

Some of the Highlights:
- No Kitchen
- Small Common Room
- Room Keys barely work

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank SeedyMan

New York
Reviewed March 24, 2010

So let me just say this place is hell, compared to this other hostels i've stayed in here while visiting NYC. The location is decent. The front desk was the most unprofessional group of people i've had to deal with so far. There is no kitchen, and in the fridge they supply their has spilt food , and muck all in it. When we got here are bed's were not clean and still had they dirty sheets still on them. The bathroom is a sliding closet door with no lock that is placed inside your cracker jack box of a room with 7 other guest. So good luck if you need to go number 2, or your going to have truck across traffic to the dunkin dough nuts across the street... and the lovely roof top terrace is equipped with, o yea NOTHING!. and the microwave is on the floor behind the front desk for their own satisfaction... I've stayed at much better places in NY for the same price if not cheaper, and everything about them is better. Don't do it! This is an embarrassment to the U.S.
JAZZ ON THE TOWN HOSTEL = NEW YORKS RECTUM ( IN NEED OF A COLONIC)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank incufan819

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reviewed March 15, 2010

I stayed here twice (was a huge fan of union square and east 12th st Chelsea centre hostel & was looking for something in the same area)- june 2009 and again in October. No problems the first time, excellent view from rooftop, friendly people & rooms basic but clean/ comfortable. In October I stayed again, was told I wouldn't need an access code for the front door as "it had been broken for some time". Not really concerned until about 2am when a group of people obviously not affliated with the hostel (heard 1 of them say "I think this is some kind of hostel") started banging on doors on my floor (sounded like a group of 4 or 5 men)- the room door was locked & no one let them in but it felt really unsafe. Please fix the front door! (& then I will definitely stay again)

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Kat710
Denver, CO
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I was going to be in NYC for a very short time period for a job interview and I was looking for someplace that fit my budget and was near the interview location. As I was searching, I found Jazz on the Town Hostel, which was 2 blocks away from my interview location. I read a lot of reviews, which were all mixed from "very bad" to "really great". I figured that, being a hostel, I'd have to deal with roommates, sharing a bathroom, various amounts of chatter and was fine with it. I have to say the best part of my stay were my roommates.

I arrived Friday evening, checked in and made my way to my room. Upon entering the room I was informed by 2 of my roommates that the door to the bathroom was broken and they had been propping it up. I thought that was a bit odd, that the bathroom door was completely broken, but whatever. My first shower was freezing! The water never got hot, it didn't even get lukewarm. The water from the sink was scalding hot. Taking cold showers 3 mornings in a row really sucks when it is 30 degrees or colder outside.

While I was sitting in the common room, I watched a mouse run out from the refrigerator, approach my foot and then scurry back under the refrigerator. I promptly left the common room. The only warm place in the building were the actual bedrooms, even the common room was freezing cold.

I know hostels are inexpensive which is great when you are staying in a city as expensive as New York, but the cold showers and the broken bathroom door are two things that are completely inexcusable. Just because you have an inexpensive room rate does not mean you don't have to maintain basic maintenance for your customers. My next trip to New York, I'll be staying someplace else.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank sassylexi76
England
Reviewed September 10, 2009

So, I researched for ages for accomodation. I decided to go with Jazz on the Town, as it looked like a fun place to stay to meet people and to get around. The getting around bit was good and walkable to most places that I wanted to go. The staff however were unhelpful, not welcoming or particuarly chatty. Not the sort of people you would stay and talk to, they weren't overlly helpful, just gave you the basic info. I was told by a few people that they had seen mice around the place which wasn't good to hear. The common room wasn't very good as it was so small, so you didn't really want to spend time there! The staff forget to telll you that there is free breakfast a few times a week, you are lucky to stumble across it when its going on. There were no activities put on like it says on the website. As a hostel for backpackers who are on a budget it isn't very friendly, £2 for 10 minutes on the internet. $5 to store your bag in a room they don't lock and you have to put your bags ontop of all the hostels other stuff! Not a hostel I would recomend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank SallyRad
Chester, UK
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Tiny hostel, well situated within easy walking distance of Union Square subway. Bearing in mind that you won't be spending two much time here, it's perfectly fine for a short stay (I stayed for ten days). The six bed room (three bunk beds, just opposite reception) was small, but just large enough, bathroom adequate, bedding was clean. Staff welcoming and helpful. This is the sort of place you have to take a chance on; I had a lovely time with great considerate roommates and helpful and engaging staff, but I suppose you could be unlucky. I would definitely stay there again. Basically, it's a small no-frills hostel and you have to take everything that comes with such a price and location - but take some ear plugs, and maybe a spare towel.
Excellent knitting shop next door with cafe with excellent coffee and cakes, although it may be relocating in Jul09.
Take the SuperShuttle from JFK, you can 'book' ahead or on arrival at the airport, but make sure you book your return trip, so the minibus can pick you up from outside the hostel. Time and stress saver.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank Helena T
london UK
Reviewed June 28, 2009

My friend and I stayed in this hostel because it looked like they were clean, cheap and cheerful - which is what you need when you dont want to blow your whole budget over XMAS and NYE. The place was easy enough to find, close to most things - midtown, different subways buses etc. It was a bit of a pain having to go cross town to get to most places of interest for us but it wasnt bad. The staff were variable - a couple of really nice people and some that really didn't appear fussed. The place was clean and most of the other people were nice and respectful of public spaces. We were lucky because we had a 6 bunk room to ourselves for a couple of nights and the rest of the time nice enough people stayed. The bathroom was a bit grotty with cracked tiles and a bath/shower that just never seemed to be clean enough. Towels, hairdriers etc were always available.
I probably wouldnt stay there again just because I think I am over the hosteling part of my travels - but for a younger traveller - a good deal

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends