“Delicious food...GREAT service....romantic atmosphere!”
Review of Pure Food and Wine - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 17th Street
Transit: 4,5,6, N,Q,R,W and L trains to Union Square
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband and I have been wanting to eat here ever since I bought Sarmas first cookbook. Pure was everything we were hoping for. From walking up to the restaurant to walking out....we had the perfect time. Our waitress was friendly and helpful. The appetizer (Philly avocado roll) was plate-licking good! I had the portobello mushroom dish for dinner and my husband had the zucchini lasagna...we shared both and finished every bite. For dessert, we shared the apple cranberry crisp w/ vanilla ice cream...Oh my gosh, what a treat -- you will be floored that there is not a bit of dairy in it! (-: You will NOT be disappointed...we are going again tonight!!! (-:

Reviewed December 17, 2012

What a wonderful place! A group of 4 of us got a change to dine in the private room past the kitchen. Gorgeous, serene, great food and service. I was impressed!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Excellent vegetarian dining experice. Cosy atmosphere. Excellent service. From appetitziers through dessert -excellent presentation and delicious dishes. If you have a big appetite -you may still be hungry after you dinner. Excellent drinks.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is by far my favourite restaurant in the whole world - and I've eaten at a few. I'm from England so can only eat here when we are in New York, but it never disappoints, the combinations of flavours are sublime - how do they do it? The waiting staff are knowledgeable and helpful, and it's always busy so I'm obviously not the only fan.

There are 2 small downsides to this culinary experience - it is a little noisy and like most New York restaurants the tables are a little close together (remember i'm a Brit so like my personal space). That aside I can't understand why the Michelin inspectors haven't graced the establishment with a star - it's food is certainly considerably better than a number of one and two starred restaurants that I could name.

To enjoy the experience at it's best - book well in advance, ask to be shown the kitchens (they're a revelation) and have the tasting menu.

When do you open in London?

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Disgusting!

I found hair in my food and called to speak to the manager. He said "normally this is the kind of thing that is brought up at the time of dining."
But not if you are eating with a colleague for a birthday and they are treating you. I pushed my meal to the side and finished the drinks we ordered. Neither of us stayed for dessert. I didn't want to ruin the experience with a report to a waitress and embarassing the person I was with by drawing attention to the table.
We hadn't seen each other in a year and it wasn't something I wanted to highlight for the night. Still, the manager shouldn't have use this to frame or question the honesty of the situation. He didn't apologize and he didn't call me back. He ignored the unsanitary habits of their kitchen.

I'm not sure what he thought I would hope to gain by lying about hair in food. Another dish served up with the same??

Also, the cocktails are bland. Skip cocktails and the possibility of ingesting hair in your food.

Disgusting.