Completed an ambitious road trip from Toronto>Boston>New York City with some friends earlier this year. We booked online from London, England. The 3 reasons we choose this hotel were...
1. 4 friends sharing one room- check.
2. Parking available on site for our car- check
3. Cheap-ish price (especially when split between 4)- check
The appeal of this hotel was its central Manhattan location and it's relatively low price when split between 4 also the knowledge that it had a parking deal with a local underground car park (parking in New York was something we knew nothing about and didn't want to chance on such an important leg of our trip; when booking online from England it felt difficult to find a hotel which catered for parking and this was one of the best/'only' deals we could find).
After a day of driving down from Boston and stopping off at retail outlet (Woodbury Common) we arrived at the hotel in the evening. Driving at this time of night was easy and a nice way to enter the city. Staff explained how the parking worked, we unpacked the car, threw the bags in the room while our friend kept the engine running outside. We all then jumped back in the car and drove one block to the car park the hotel had a deal with (maybe a 5 minute walk- Not far at all, and the price was a bargain compared to what we would have spent without the hotel discount).
The room was amazing, everything was clean, water pressure was good, etc.. etc.. flat screen on the wall. However! For 4 guys in a room it was a bit pokey. Being on a road-trip we were all living out of our bags and this really took up the floor space. The room was narrow and after you've put 2 double beds and 4 guys plus bags in there it feels a little bit like the Shawshank Redemption (Please Note: I'm not complaining; the hotel was great and everything was clean, we were looking for a cheap place to stay and actually this far outweighed our expectations!)
The location of the hotel was great if your sightseeing, a 2 minute walk to Madison Square Garden and from there you can catch a subway or a cab to just about anywhere. If your after a less touristy underground NYC trip then I think you'd want to avoid staying in Manhattan- whether you like it or not you kind of get sucked in to all the tourist traps and restaurant gimmicks. We spent a couple of days doing the tourist thing and a couple of days in the more Immigrant areas, if there's culture to be had it is in these areas.
The breakfast at the hotel was buffet style and adequate. Some hot food as well as cold food and bagels- hamburgers one day, and a weird meat porridge the next (only 1 of the 4 of us dared to eat the meat porridge). This was a nice way to start the day and the restricted serving hours forced us to get out of bed and eat the breakfast (a small chore if you've been out late the night before).
We added and extra day to the New York leg and the hotel was accommodating. They let us keep the same room. However we did pay a more expensive room rate compared to the rate we had paid online back in England.)
Positives: Really really clean! Gym, (Just cardio, no weights, although we didn't have a chance to use.)
Negatives: No Pool. Small for 4 men sharing 2 double beds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated just one block from Madison Square Garden, this newly refreshed, modern hotel provides a great location for travelers looking to be walking distance to some of Manhattan’s top attractions. Catch concerts and games at MSG or walk to The Fashion Institute of Technology and see the latest fashions in the Garment District. Guests can walk to Penn Station which serves many of the city’s major subway lines and be anywhere in the city within minutes including top destinations like Times Square, Central Park and Broadway theatres. Guests will enjoy complimentary breakfast, high speed internet access, a modern fitness center and our well-equipped business center. After you’ve spent the day taking in the sights and sounds of the city, enjoy a peaceful night’s sleep in a comfortable Hampton bed®. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden Hotel New York City
- Hampton Inn New York City
- Madison Square Garden Hampton Inn
- New York City Hampton Inn