“The most welcoming stay in a hotel for me, my wife and my 4 & 5 year old boys. Joe Metlej from Halifax ns Canada”

Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area
Ranked #161 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 13, 2013

On arrival, without a reservation due to a mix up at another hotel, we thank God for Kevin the hotel manager who quickly made us feel like we were invited close friends in his own home. We felt like Kevin was family, and I just met the guy 5 minutes ago. We stayed 2 Nites. During our stay, Kevin's great leadership skills obviously rubbed off on his entire crew. Very friendly, helpful, courteous especially I think its Kevin's assistant Mgr Carlos. What a great crew to deal with. Extra clean rooms, sweet breakfast in the morning, location is perfect, and above all Kevin the manager, Carlos his assistant, and the entire staff made me and my family feel at home. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Spencer, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel had everything we needed. The hotel room was clean, updated, and had no weird smell that you get in other hotel rooms. The bathroom was also very clean. We had no problems using the free WIFI in our room, as we did with other hotels on this vacation. The hotel is not very big, the hallways are small, and the rooms are tight, but it was overall very functional. It was as nice as we expected. We also really appreciated the complimentary warm breakfast, and coffee at all times, a nice freebie in an otherwise very expensive city... We chose the hotel because of its proximity to times square and Penn Station (right down the street), but one thing we didn't like was after midnight there are homeless sleeping all up and down the street (I counted over 20) between the hotel and Penn Station, which was a little intimidating for this tourist.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Trista Marie E
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Kevin is an excellent manager and his team is always helpful. Very accommodating and puts the customer first. I had a small issue with the bill which was sorted out personally by Kevin. The breakfast is standard Hampton but the staff are extra careful to check on guests - including Kevin.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Olney, Maryland
Reviewed August 7, 2013

No problems with my stay. Room was clean. The staff was helpful. Fun treats at the front desk including a 'to-go' brown bag breakfast. Great location a block or so from Penn Station. Would stay here again and recommend to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our room was on the 7th floor. Very small, but we only slept in the room so it was fine. Very clean, and the breakfast was a good bonus. The location is very central - we enjoyed that. Staff were friendly, parking only a few steps away. Overall, left with a good impression of the place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Oklahoma
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I just stayed two nights (Friday & Saturday) in this hotel while on a weekend sightseeing trip while in the Northeast on business. This was my first trip to NYC and I researched parts of the city and hotel rates extensively. This hotel met my needs for several reasons: (1) very good rate, compared to most comparable hotels in this area, (2) close proximity to Penn Station, where I needed to connect with Amtrak on Sunday evening, and (3) I prefer Hilton properties, especially Hampton Inns.

The staff was extraordinarily friendly every time I dealt with them, especially in a city where I felt that not everyone in the service industry was this friendly. The hotel is classic NYC -- very small, but Hampton has done well with this space. The floors are tiny - maybe 8 rooms per floor, but the hotel is several stories high. My room was small, but fine for one person. I did wish for more counter space in the bathroom, but this room had an enormous desk that sufficed. As with all Hamptons, the bed was incredibly comfortable and I slept very well. Because of the size of this hotel, there are two pretty small elevators and when the hotel is full (like it was my weekend), you can wait a very long time to get the elevator. The staff was very helpful with my questions about directions, subway locations, checking my luggage for the day, etc.

The most interesting thing I can say about this hotel is the breakfast/eating area. It is a surprisingly large room for such a small footprint and even has an outdoor courtyard with tables and chairs. Unfortunately, because I was staying on a summer weekend, both mornings the dining area was packed to the gills. It was frustrating to try to get your food, and then finding a place to sit was challenging. I encountered several rude European visitors that hogged large amounts of table space. However, none of this is the hotel's fault. The room is bright, clean, and cheery, and the food was identical to the Hampton Inn breakfasts I've had other places.

If I return to NYC, I will most likely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lms68
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised as this Hampton Inn was above what I expected for an entry-level chain hotel. Great (free!) breakfast and the staff at the front desk always said hello. The hotel is tight quarters but it's NYC so what can you expect. Our room was modern and clean, plus we got free snacks and bevs when we checked in which I thought was a nice touch, not sure if that was because we were part of the Hilton Honors program or not but we obliged and enjoyed. Overall quality was superb and location was excellent - you can walk everywhere or hop on the train. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends