Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, Maine
“Fantastic”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We selected this hotel because it was close to Madison Square Garden. We loved it!!!! 2 minute walk to MSG for the concert. 10 minute walk to Time Square and Broadway. 2 minute walk to Penn Station. Perfect location. Parking right across the street. Be sure to have them stamp your parking receipt for a discounted rate.

Yes, the rooms were very small and road noise on the 6th floor. But staying in NYC you are not going to find affordable huge rooms or no road noise. Neither was in any way an issue.

The staff were super friendly and helpful with directions and suggestions.I have back issues and always have my hot packs with me when traveling. They showed me to a back room where I could heat them in the microwave. After a couple times heating them, one of the employees suggested they send a microwave to my room so we wouldn't need to come to the first floor to heat them. In a very short amount of time they were knocking on our door and delivered a microwave and set it up. Service with a smile.

Free breakfast was good and fresh with plenty of selections to choose from.

We have stayed at many 5* resorts and none of them had anything over and above the service delivered at this Hampton Inn. Not one complaint.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ladyme1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This hotel is just minutes walk away from Penn station, which was great as we took LIRR from JFK airport. There is a food court just across the street and a discount store nearby which was great for drinks, snacks and cheap souvenirs. For Catholics attending mass, Church of St Francis of the Assisi is less than 30m away. During our 2 nights stay I conveniently attended Sunday evening mass and weekday morning mass, which was wonderful.

We are a family of 2 adults, 1 teen and 1 child. The room is indeed small, but for the price and the location, we are not complaining. Our trip to New York was a stop-over, so we had our 2 big luggage stored in JFK airport otherwise it's going to be impossible to fit them in the room.

We were on 6th floor, did not notice the noise that other reviewer mentioned, although the corridor was indeed very small and narrow. The only thing bothering us was the fact that the coffee maker was placed in the bathroom, right next to the toilet bowl. The room may be cramped, but brewing our coffee in the toilet was simply unthinkable. Which is why I'm giving it a 4/5 rating.

Being on a quiet street, there were vagrants sleeping on the sidewalk at night which looked a little intimidating, especially when they were drunk, yet we did not encounter any problem with them.

Overall, it is still a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I had 3 nights here in April 2013 and both the family and I enjoyed the stay. I am sure that there are people who do spend time in hotels in NY but as a place to base yourself it is very good. The plus points are its location, cleanliness, the little extras such as free coffee and cookies, the breakfast and the staff.

Any problems I had with the room (TV not working, blocked toilet, etc.) were dealt with quickly and effectively.

By the way, the air conditioning remote is wireless and in a family room slightly out of range. I you do move it from the wall and nearer the unit, it does work!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed April 11, 2013

A friend & I stayed at this Hampton for a weekend. It was a typical Hampton experience, in that the rooms were clean, and there was complimentary breakfast & internet. The location was *excellent* - just a couple blocks from the subway. Easy to get to anywhere. It's also only a couple blocks from the shops on 6th & 5th avenues and practically right on top of the flagship Macy's store, if you care about that. One of the other reviewers talked about the Saturday street market - we didn't realize that was an every-weekend thing, but apparently it is. It's great - mostly cheap trinkets, but excellent street food!

Our room (2 beds) was small, but then all NYC hotel rooms (at least those in my price range) are small. We could get around without tripping over each other, but there was no spare space. I was surprised at how quiet the room was - we were on the 11th floor & ran the fan at night, which completely masked outside noise. Usually I hear more from the hallway than from outside and I heard *nothing* from the hall. We may have just gotten lucky & had quiet neighbors, though.

The front desk and breakfast staff were friendly. Requests and questions were cheerfully answered. And they put out more than just one set of cookies at night, so there is a good chance that you'll score one!

Breakfast was a bit better than I normally encounter at the Hampton - the baked goods were a lot fresher than the usual frozen-and-shipped-in stuff.

The only small complaint I can come up with is that the workout room is very small. And in the basement, which is a little freaky. The machines in there (one each - treadmill, bike, elliptical) were in excellent shape, but it was fairly cramped & a little spooky. But I did get a workout, so I can't whine too loudly.

Overall, it was a great experience; much better than I'd expected. I'll be checking this location first for reservations the next time I come to NYC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is an excellent hotel - location could not have been better - just a 5 minute walk from Empire States Building and a bit further to Times Square, Macys etc. If you are there on a Saturday there is a great market along 6th Avenue - loads of food stalls, cheap posters etc. The room was fine (apart from the wardrobe which is tiny and had little room for clothes for two people). Beds very comfortable and great shower. We were on 14th floor and really not bothered by the noise - quite enjoyed the New York sounds of police sirens at night! Breakfast was excellent - really good choice (shame about the paper plates though). We were leaving early in the morning and were provided with a breakfast bag which was a nice touch. Staff were very helpful, especially the girl who helped us to sort out the printing of our boarding passes. Have stayed in a much pricier hotel in New York on a previous visit and feel that the Madison was a much better choice. Will definitely stay there again on my next trip,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle WA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just got back from a 5-night stay in New York. I have read a lot of reviews of this hotel (along with some other hotels, as well as some other NY neighborhoods), so I knew what to expect, particularly the size of the rooms. But this is Manhattan NY, and you only use the room to sleep in and freshen up. We were at the top floor, with a slightly obstructed view facing south (room 1902), so traffic noise was not an issue. The reviews posted about this hotel are spot on; the staff are friendly; the place and our room were clean; and the free breakfast and free internet were added benefits (saved us some $$ to spend instead on other NY stuff). But the biggest plus for me was the location- it is just a block away from Madison Sq Garden, Macy's (for the wife), Empire State Building, and subway access. It is also relatively close to Times Square (we walked this route twice in a row at night after dinner, just exploring Manhattan, and felt totally safe!). All in all, I would stay at this hotel again if visiting NY. Highly recommmended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a great hotel for the location - within walking distance to Times Square, shopping, Macy's, restaurants. Room was very tiny with barely enough room to open your luggage. We had only three people in the room and we were bumping into each other. I had to use the floor space in the bathroom under the sink to store luggage.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton