“Great hotel in central location for exploring”

Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area
Ranked #162 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Norfolk, Virginia
“Great hotel in central location for exploring”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a good hotel in the madison square garden area that is very close to penn station for exploring the city.

Hotel rooms aren't large, but that's pretty typical in NYC. Hotel rooms were clean and modern. Only thing, is if you are driving, there isn't a parking lot and you will have to pay for parking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you return to New York.

Hunter Angus D. Glass

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
manassas
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for four nights. The room was clean and well equipped with all the amenities for 4 guests. The rooms are small but I expected that from reading reviews before I chose this hotel. The staff is very pleasant and always had a smile when we saw them. They were very helpful when we asked for directions.
The location is convenient to the subway, and major attractions. For heaven sakes take the subway and save yourself $$ or walk. The subway may seem overwhelming at first, But after a few rides, you'll get the hang of it.
Overall, we liked the location and the pleasant staff! We recommend staying here for whatever occasion you are in NYC.

SugfromVA

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review of your stay at our hotel. I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed being here. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again when your plans bring you back to New York City.

charlotte
Reviewed December 26, 2012

ok, i admit im a country boy with no desire for the big city. if any of you old timers remember the show "green acres" thats me and my wife. so for her i came to the big city. here we go- parking? ah no, your car will be impounded in a parking deck a block away (if you are lucky) for a cost to you of 50 bucks a day. the usual room rate of about $79 back home is about $400 a night here. oh, and the rooms are much smaller than a normal room. im told thats just the way it is in manhattan. yea, manhattan, lots of people and lots of skyscrapers. new york city pretty much what i expected. i hated it, wife loved it. anyway back to the hotel, it was fine i guess, i mean they even offered the free breakfast like back home... . i find the hilton family hotels are nice for the most part with good rewards program.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to hear that you like Hilton hotels, and especially Hampton hotels. I am also pleased that you liked our hotel. I am sorry that you didn't like New York City. It can big big and overwhelming for some and agreed, it can be expensive. I was happy to read that your wife enjoyed her trip.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Talleyville, Delaware
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is less than two blocks from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. A ten for location.

The hotels appears to have been renovated from top to bottom in the last year. The room furniture, wall decor, electronics and the bathroom are all brand new and well thought out. The bath room is tiny but everything you need is in there and it all works. Both wired and wireless Internet are available. It's complimentary and the wireless connection speed is tolerable at 2 mbps. AT&T 4g and wifi are also in the area with five bars.

The beds are pretty comfortable and the linens are clean, as is the rest of the hotel. A free breakfast with standard fare is offered. Parking is across the street and cabs can be had in front of Penn Station or a half block away on Sixth Avenue.

The only cons with this hotel are that the rooms are really tiny and there are only two elevators shared by customers and hotel staff. It can take a while to get down the 17th floor.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you choose to stay with us when you return to New York.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for two nights. I had HHonor points for one night, and the "Parking in the City" package the other. First off, when I arrived and asked what to do with my car they told me I wasn't booked on any parking package. Quickly I pulled out my confirmation email which left the front desk agent in confusion. "ohh umm yeah.. umm oh ok umm just leave me your keys." This had me a little worried, but none the less I was ready to get cleaned up and out on the town. I stayed on the top floor and the room smelled of cigarette smoke masked with air freshener. The window opened but didn't do much good in airing out the place. The room was very tiny (typical for NYC hotels). There were lots of crumbs on the desk and chair. The floor didn't appear to have been vacuumed.. there was actually a pill on the floor next to my bed that remained there throughout the duration of my stay. The bathroom was definitely old and looked pretty rough. The bedding seemed clean, although I thought it was tacky that they put up a post it note on the headboard stating "bedding has been cleaned for your stay" or something along those lines. When I left to head out I asked the person at the desk the best line to take to get to rockefeller center. I should have checked it myself because her advice put me several blocks away when I could have taken the N or R train right there. The next morning breakfast was OK. Better than nothing I guess. When I came back the second evening neither of my keys worked (I was on two separate reservations since apparently hilton/hampton doesn't know how to put separate room types on one reservation). I went back down and the desk agent didn't even ask for ID! Just asked what room number and manually keyed it in and reset both of my keys. Confusion agan when I went to check out and get my car. They asked for my claim ticket, which of course I was never given. They scrambled around for a while trying to figure out what to do.... I explained I had a parking package for one night, and was on my own for the second night. They tried to charge me extra for valet parking. I said I just wanted self-parking.. so she sent me around the street to get my car. Luckily I had asked them for some sort of validation (this is usually required to get the discounted rate) and then i got my claim ticket. She told me to come back again because they'd have to adjust the parking off of my bill. I get over to the parking garage and first they ask why I didn't call ahead. Of course no one at the hotel called over or gave me a number a call. Then the garage tries charging me $60. Luckily a manager or owner of the garage was there because the person working and eventually worked it out so I paid my $35 and got my car. Back to the hotel, back to the front desk. She wanted my receipt for paying $35. I had paid cash at the garage and didn't think to get a receipt. The desk agent started running back and forth to the managers office and back to the desk. After I stood there about 10 minutes or more she said that it was too difficult to do since I had already checked out and that she'd have to email me the new receipt. Well, it's been 4 days and I never did receive a new bill/receipt but I did see a credit on my card for the $35. I don't think I will EVER stay here again. No one seems to know what they're doing at this place, it's not that clean and my jacket needs dry-cleaned now because it still smells like the room. Stay at the Hilton Garden Inn on West 35th street.

Room Tip: Definitely don't stay on the 19th floor!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Der Guest,

I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. As much as I don't like bad reviews, I will certainly make sure our whole team reads your comments so we can improve upon our service. We have been working very hard on customer service, so it is a real disappointment to hear that you were not satisfied.

Thak you for your comments.

Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

My son and I stayed here 2 nights in November, and will definitely stay again if/when we have another chance to travel to New York. The lobby & our room were impeccably clean, the hotel's centrally located (short walk to Times Square, and perfect for the concert we went to at Madison Square Garden), and the front desk staff are GREAT! My son loved the cookies :-) We were so impressed that this is the first review I've ever posted on TripAdvisor (and we travel quite a lot)! Thank you Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden for a fabulous, comfortable stay in "The Big Apple".

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank lyn_tbay
Dear Guest,

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you return to New York.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed 6 nights at the end of November and enjoyed our stay very much. The room was compact but had everything we needed for our stay - it had a huge comfortable bed and was very clean and tidy!
The complimentary breakfast was great, a huge selection of hot and cold items which varied each day, don't think I ate the same thing twice! Was just what we needed to set us up for a day of sightseeing or shopping! There was also tea, coffee and hot chocolate available throughout the day and warm cookies on reception in the evening - just what you need after a day of sightseeing or shopping!
The hotel is coveniently located within a block of Penn Station and we easily walked with our cases when we arrived there from Newark Airport. The location is very central, within walking distance of the Empire State, Times Square, Macys etc, and close to 34th St Subway so very easy to get around.
Would not hesitate to recommend the Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden and would definitely stay there again in the future!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mrs_Shep109
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay, and I hope that you will choose to stay with us in the future.