“Rather good in NY”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Kungsbacka, Sweden
“Rather good in NY”
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Rather good hotel near the subwaystation, and close to Madison Square garden. Big rooms and nice beds. Breakfast was included, and that was our condition when we picked the hotel. There is one big problem at the hotel - logistics!- 2 elevators for the entiry building, including the cleaningstaff.... We had to take the stairs from 8th floor several times.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Suss58
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that you choose to stay with us when you return to New York.

Hunter Angus D. Glass

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
livingston
Reviewed November 4, 2012

enjoyed a fantastic stay in this hotel,checkin was quick and efficient,bedrooms were spotlessly clean,warm and comfortable.We slept like babies in the city that never sleeps even although we had a low floor room at the front( at our request). The breakfast was a treat( ive paid $30 in other new york hotels for less)with lots of choice and beautifully presented.All of the staff were courteous and polite and nothing was too much trouble.We will certainly visit again.

Room Tip: if you are light sleeper a high floor or room at the back of the hotel might be a good idea
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank samLivingston
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I am always thrilled when people tell me how much they enjoyed their stay. Thank you for making my day!

Ohio
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Hemanshi (hopefully I spelled his name correctly) is one awesome front desk person. He is so helpful and checked with us to ensure we were happy with the room. I will now stay at Hamptons with their new all bedding including the duvet being cleaned for each new check in. Their breakfast buffet had real scrambled eggs not these microwaved omlets and home-made oatmeal and fresh fruit cocktail. Floors were so clean and the cleaning staff is amazing here are room was immaculate after it was cleaned. Thank you for making our stay brest.

• Stayed October 2012
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us you thoughts on your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with and will choose to stay with us again.

Thank you again.

Regina, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We booked this hotel away from Times Square so that it was a bit more reasonable. We are within a few blocks of the Empire State Building. If you have a car (as we did), you can park across the street for $35 a day (hotel rate). The people at the front desk are very friendly and helpful to answer all questions. The breakfast area has lots of seating and there is a good variety of breakfast items. The downside is that the dining area was always too warm (I saw the temperature gauge and it read 79 degrees) and the hot items were always luke warm to cold.

The room itself was smaller than we are used to but it was expected, being in New York. I asked for a quiet room and we received one on the back side of the hotel. It was quiet (well, better than the front side which I heard from other travellers was quite noisy) and the view sucked. We were on the third floor which was good to leave the hotel - you could use the stairs (which take you outside).

Our room had a king size bed which was quite comfortable. The closet was not high enough. I am short and my pants were laying on the bottom of the closet. We ended up being put in a handicapped room and there was a small ramp to the bathroom which my husband kept tripping on. There was no room for hair products or anything other than a toothbrush at the sink. And my biggest peave - there was no lid on the toilet and I was always afraid something was going to fall in.

All in all, the hotel stay would have been much better if the bathroom was more to my liking. I checked other rooms and they were not much better, but the toilets did have covers!

The best thing about this hotel at the time of our stay - NO BED BUGS!

Room Tip: There is a fire station just down the street so if noise bothers you, ask for a quiet room, preferra...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your stay, and I hope that you will choose to stay with us in the future.

Buda, Texas
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This was my First time to NY and I will definitely stay here again. The hotel was very clean, had a great breakfast every morning, and a fabulous staff. Oh and the location is wonderful. Thanks Hampton Inn at Madison Square Garden for a great experience!

• Stayed October 2012
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope that you will choose to stay with us again when you return to New York.

Buffalo, NY
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed just one night at this Hampton. In general, it was a solid choice for a midtown traveler. The block within which this hotel is located is nothing to rave about, but you don't have to go far to find a good amount of activity, shopping, or restaurants. As a matter of fact, Penn Station is about a 5 minute walk, if that.

If you are looking for a quieter room, I would avoid the lower floors that face the street, it appears that there are only 8 rooms per floor, and I think there are 19 floors. The rooms ending in 3,4,5,and 6 face the street, so would be noisier is suspect. I have no idea what the view is on the other side of the hotel, but think it may be quieter..

The fitness room is pretty lame, one treadmill, one elliptical, and one bike. That's it. So your gym choices may be outside the hotel.

The free breakfast was perfect, plenty of hot and cold choices that should suit everyone.

Rooms were small, but had everything you needed, we're very clean, and typical of Hampton Inns

All in all, no reason to not choose this spot if looking for a good midtown location

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that you liked our location. Many people tell me that they love being in the heart of New York and that getting anywhere in New York is so easy with the subways so close. I hope you choose to stay with us when your return to New York.

Washington, DC
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Clean room, clean bathroom, and comfortable bed. Those are my basic requirements and this hotel met them. The added plus was being able to get a cup of tea in the morning before heading out the door.

If you are looking for a HUGE room to spread out, this hotel will not do.

The foot of the bed is about 30" from the wall. If my memory serves me right, I don't think I was able to turn all the way around in my chair while working at the desk in the room. The closet is really a wardrobe unit inside the room, and the bottom third was taken up by the safe. I was on business, so I wanted to hang my pants length wise, but couldn't do it, the safe was in the way. I hung them outside on the wardrobe door. Not sure of the layout in the other rooms, but I had two beds in my room, so maybe a room with a single bed will give you more room. Again, the room I had was SMALL. When I put my suitcase on the folding stand to take out my clothes, I had to put it in between the wall and the bed, and then I still couldn't open the suitcase without the unzipped top of suitcase resting on the bed. I had a carry on suitcase. Picture a book resting on a table, imagine the cover as the top or flap on the suitcase, when I opened it there was no room to walk around.

I still rated this hotel as Very Good because I was alone so the small room was no big deal. It most certainly would have been a tight squeeze for 2, much less my family of 3.

I would stay here again for business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you chhose to stay with us when your return to New York.