“Good hotel if going to Madison Square Garden” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area
Ranked #170 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clinton, NJ
“Good hotel if going to Madison Square Garden”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for one night after going to a concert at Madison Square Garden. The hotel was clean. The rooms were very small. We stayed in a 2 double beds room which was fine for the two of us. It would be crowded with 3 people. The bathroom had a shower, but was roomier than I expected. There are 2 elevator's which is fine except for evening and morning. You may have to wait for awhile to get on. The location was great if you want to be near Madison Square Garden. The price was very good compared to other hotels in NYC. It included a standard type breakfast which made the price even better. I would recommend staying here if you are just coming in for an event at MSG, otherwise I would stay somewhere a little roomier.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Madison Square Garden. As you mentioned, we are just down the street and easy to get to for people attend events at the Garden. I am sorry that you found our rooms to be small, but you are right, compared to hotels outside New York, our rooms are small; New York is famous for small hotels rooms. I am very pleased that you found us to be clean and comfortable and I am glead you enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and I hope that when you attend another event at Madison Square Garden, that you will choose to stay with us again.

Hunter Angus D. Glass

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

Nice hotel, good location, centrally located near NY Penn Station, 33rd Street Path and 34th Street stations (3 mins wal from each) Near Macy's, opposite Jacks 99 Cent store. 5 Minutes away from empire state building, 10 minutes away from times square on 7th avenue
small but clean and well equipped rooms - stayed in one with a comfortable king size bed, a couch and a small workspace with flat screen TV- free wifi, free breakfast (on paper plates though). Good options for food - Large food court restaurant opposite "Cafe R" offering wide variety of cuisine including Pastas, Korean food among others. Room walls are a bit thin with some noise from doors closing etc. Worth the price

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I LOVE Cafe R !! We are so lucky to have them right across the street. They have great food and other items and they are open 24 hours a day!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our location! This hotel is very central as you pointed out. Thank you for mentioning the door noises. Because of this comment, I have asked our Engineers to check every door in the hotel and make sure that they close properly, but quietly, so thank you!

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our newly expanded complimentary Breakfast Buffet! We are constantly trying to enure that we offer a delicious way to start your day!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and i hope that you decide to stay with us again in the future!

Kennewick, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

Choosing a hotel in NYC can be a very difficult thing. There are lots of high end extremely expensive hotels, above average very expensive hotels, and there are some questionable places. With the worry about bed bugs I researched this property before booking and it did not have any instances reported. Some of the ritzier hotels can not claim that!

The Hampton Inn is conveniently located about one block from Madison Square Gardens/Penn Station. It is clean, reasonably priced (I used my AAA for a discount), offers a nice breakfast and the staff was pleasant and welcoming. I rated it high because compared to other hotels I looked at, this was a great choice for the value, had no bugs and I was very pleased.

Typical for the crowded city, the room was small and the bath was a shower only. No big deal for me as it was only a place to sleep. I got a room with two "queen" beds. The bed was comfortable enough...nothing special... and the actual bed size was more full/ double and not at all near a queen size. Over-sized travelers be warned! The towels were older and not very fluffy but they were clean and I had enough of them. Only negative in the bath was there were no cups for rinsing after brushing my teeth.

The breakfast was very nice. Eggs, make your own waffles, muffins and toast, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, juices and coffee/tea were available. I am sure I missed some items too. Everything was fresh and plentiful and the breakfast area was bright and clean.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank NifT33
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about our hotel. I can be very difficult to decide where to stay in New York with so many choices, so i thank you for choosing to stay with us!

I was very pleased to read this review and the nice things you had to say about our hotel. I'm sorry that you were expecting two queen beds in our double rooms. As you found, we have rooms with either one King, one Queen, or two Double beds. I'm sorry that wasn't clear.

I am very please that you enjoyed our complimentary Breakfast Buffet, we have added a few new touches and it's nice to hear that you enjoyed them!

I hope that you choose us again when your plans bring you back to New York.

Thanks again!

Mission, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

This hotel served our purpose just fine. We were looking for a centrally located hotel, close to public transport and walking distance to attractions. Madison Square Garden is just around the corner, and there is a subway stop about a half block away. The room with two double beds was a tight fit for four adults as they was very little space to place luggage, but we weren't in the room much when we were awake. The bathroom was big enough to give us room to get ready. Elevators were a little slow to arrive on each floor. The free breakfast was great, and there is a 24-hour shop across the street that sells food, drinks, desserts, anything you need for a late night snack.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am very happy that you found our location to be just what you were looking for. I agree, it is so easy to get anywhere in New York from here. We are minutes from the 7th and 6th Ave Subways, steps from Penn Station and a short walk to Times Square and many other attractions.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our newly expanded complimentary Breakfast Buffet! We continue to strive to have the best guest experience possible.

Thank you for writing this review, and I hope that when you return to New York, that you will choose to stay with us again.

Oslo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

This hotels offers spacious and practical rooms. The bathroom was both large and nice. We had some trouble with the sink though, and our room had a funny smell. The hotel is located only minutes from 5th Avenue with all the shops making it very centrally located. It is also near and very easy to find when arriving at Penn station located only 5 minutes from the hotel.There was a simple breakfast included in the rate, nothing special, but typical for a 3 star hotel in the NYC.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank JacobOslo
DearGuest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of our hotel. I'm pleased that you found our rooms to be spacious and practical and our bathrooms to be large and nice! I am sorry to hear about the trouble with the sink and funny smell. I will be sure to have our team take a look at this. I agree that we are nicely situated near Penn Station and within easy reach of all of New York.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and i hope that you choose to stay with us in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

Well my first time in New York and to be honest went on a deal with British Airways. Checked reviews before I went and was not disappointed when I got there. Check in was easy, staff were great and could not do enough for you. Rooms were good, clean, everything worked and the free wifi was great. Good breakfast and taking a hot drink 24/7 from the restuarant was a good touch. Me and the wife stayed there from 28th to 31st October. Now here is the only concern. You check put at 12 noon and we had the maid knocking on our door from 8 asking when we were leaving. On the third occasion she got the message not till 12 noon. Only cplaint and hotel had easy access to all main attractions.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank James H
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I am so pleased that you chose to stay with us for your first trip to New York, and I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

I am sorry that our housekeeper knocked on your door at 8 in the morning, I will mention this to our Executive Housekeeper and use this as a training point at our next meeting. I am very pleased that you found our staff to be "great"! I will be sure to share this with the Team as well, thank you!

I am pleased that you found our rooms to be clean and our hotel to be in a location that is accessible to the major attractions. I hope that next time you come to New York, that you will choose to stay with us again!

Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

Great location. Hotel very clean, room small but comfortable for 2. Good King-size bed. Nice breakfast with many choies. Tea/coffee machine available 24/7 for free. Helpful staff. Ask for a room as high as possible in the floors! One bad aspect: you hear a lot when people go in or out the rooms next door. But we REALLY enjoyed our stay there a lot and would definitively recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank mone_j
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our newly improved complimentary Breakfast Buffet.

The rest of the Team will be thrilled to hear that you found your room to be clean and the staff to be helpful.

I hope that when you return to New York you will choose to stay with us again.

Thank you!