“fine choice for the value and NO bed bugs!”

Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area
Ranked #158 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Choosing a hotel in NYC can be a very difficult thing. There are lots of high end extremely expensive hotels, above average very expensive hotels, and there are some questionable places. With the worry about bed bugs I researched this property before booking and it did not have any instances reported. Some of the ritzier hotels can not claim that!

The Hampton Inn is conveniently located about one block from Madison Square Gardens/Penn Station. It is clean, reasonably priced (I used my AAA for a discount), offers a nice breakfast and the staff was pleasant and welcoming. I rated it high because compared to other hotels I looked at, this was a great choice for the value, had no bugs and I was very pleased.

Typical for the crowded city, the room was small and the bath was a shower only. No big deal for me as it was only a place to sleep. I got a room with two "queen" beds. The bed was comfortable enough...nothing special... and the actual bed size was more full/ double and not at all near a queen size. Over-sized travelers be warned! The towels were older and not very fluffy but they were clean and I had enough of them. Only negative in the bath was there were no cups for rinsing after brushing my teeth.

The breakfast was very nice. Eggs, make your own waffles, muffins and toast, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, juices and coffee/tea were available. I am sure I missed some items too. Everything was fresh and plentiful and the breakfast area was bright and clean.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank NifT33
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about our hotel. I can be very difficult to decide where to stay in New York with so many choices, so i thank you for choosing to stay with us!

I was very pleased to read this review and the nice things you had to say about our hotel. I'm sorry that you were expecting two queen beds in our double rooms. As you found, we have rooms with either one King, one Queen, or two Double beds. I'm sorry that wasn't clear.

I am very please that you enjoyed our complimentary Breakfast Buffet, we have added a few new touches and it's nice to hear that you enjoyed them!

I hope that you choose us again when your plans bring you back to New York.

Thanks again!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area

Reviewed November 14, 2011

This hotel served our purpose just fine. We were looking for a centrally located hotel, close to public transport and walking distance to attractions. Madison Square Garden is just around the corner, and there is a subway stop about a half block away. The room with two double beds was a tight fit for four adults as they was very little space to place luggage, but we weren't in the room much when we were awake. The bathroom was big enough to give us room to get ready. Elevators were a little slow to arrive on each floor. The free breakfast was great, and there is a 24-hour shop across the street that sells food, drinks, desserts, anything you need for a late night snack.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am very happy that you found our location to be just what you were looking for. I agree, it is so easy to get anywhere in New York from here. We are minutes from the 7th and 6th Ave Subways, steps from Penn Station and a short walk to Times Square and many other attractions.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our newly expanded complimentary Breakfast Buffet! We continue to strive to have the best guest experience possible.

Thank you for writing this review, and I hope that when you return to New York, that you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

This hotels offers spacious and practical rooms. The bathroom was both large and nice. We had some trouble with the sink though, and our room had a funny smell. The hotel is located only minutes from 5th Avenue with all the shops making it very centrally located. It is also near and very easy to find when arriving at Penn station located only 5 minutes from the hotel.There was a simple breakfast included in the rate, nothing special, but typical for a 3 star hotel in the NYC.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JacobOslo

DearGuest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of our hotel. I'm pleased that you found our rooms to be spacious and practical and our bathrooms to be large and nice! I am sorry to hear about the trouble with the sink and funny smell. I will be sure to have our team take a look at this. I agree that we are nicely situated near Penn Station and within easy reach of all of New York.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and i hope that you choose to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Well my first time in New York and to be honest went on a deal with British Airways. Checked reviews before I went and was not disappointed when I got there. Check in was easy, staff were great and could not do enough for you. Rooms were good, clean, everything worked and the free wifi was great. Good breakfast and taking a hot drink 24/7 from the restuarant was a good touch. Me and the wife stayed there from 28th to 31st October. Now here is the only concern. You check put at 12 noon and we had the maid knocking on our door from 8 asking when we were leaving. On the third occasion she got the message not till 12 noon. Only cplaint and hotel had easy access to all main attractions.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank James H
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I am so pleased that you chose to stay with us for your first trip to New York, and I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

I am sorry that our housekeeper knocked on your door at 8 in the morning, I will mention this to our Executive Housekeeper and use this as a training point at our next meeting. I am very pleased that you found our staff to be "great"! I will be sure to share this with the Team as well, thank you!

I am pleased that you found our rooms to be clean and our hotel to be in a location that is accessible to the major attractions. I hope that next time you come to New York, that you will choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed October 26, 2011

Great location. Hotel very clean, room small but comfortable for 2. Good King-size bed. Nice breakfast with many choies. Tea/coffee machine available 24/7 for free. Helpful staff. Ask for a room as high as possible in the floors! One bad aspect: you hear a lot when people go in or out the rooms next door. But we REALLY enjoyed our stay there a lot and would definitively recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank mone_j
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our newly improved complimentary Breakfast Buffet.

The rest of the Team will be thrilled to hear that you found your room to be clean and the staff to be helpful.

I hope that when you return to New York you will choose to stay with us again.

Thank you!

General Manger

Reviewed October 25, 2011

Great place, convenient to MSG, Penn Station, and just a few blocks form Times Square. Great value, free breakfast, and relatively quiet street. Plan to walk a ways for parking as its approx. 2 blocks and around a corner - not too bad as the rate was inexpensive related to other closer locations.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Hunter G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan - Madison Square Garden Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful review of our hotel! It really makes me feel great to hear that guests enjoyed their stay so much that they look forward to staying with us again, so thank you!

I agree that the location is great, but you will be pleased to know that we have signed a new contract with the parking garage right across the street!! Isn't that great news! They are a little more expensive, but now we offer two parking choices; garage on 32nd and Broadway (2 blocks away) for $25.00 per night for a standard size car, and a new garage right across the street on 31st Street for $35.00 per night! I LOVE choices!

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review, and I look forward to seeing you when you return to New York City.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

We really enjoyed our week long stay at this hotel. The location was great - walking distance to Broadway, Times Square and Penn station. We had a lovely, clean, double room with a big comfortable bed. It was big enough for the two of us, although others in our group were four to a room which was a squeeze.
The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was fine with a lot of choice. The only thing that I didn't like very much was eating off disposable plates and cutlery. The amount of rubbish generated must be huge.
The manager was superb even donning his kilt to make our Scottish group feel welcome.
We took the stairs a lot (accessed via the basement) as the lifts are quite slow. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AngryofTollcross

Dear Scottish Guest,

I am sooo pleased that you enjoyed your trip to New York and our hotel. I will be sure and let Housekeeping know that you enjoyed your "lovely, clean room". I am thrilled that you enjoyed our location; it is extremely easy to get anywhere in New York from here.

I am especillay pleased that you enjoyed our staff. I believe that the staff makes all the difference in the world! I especially like the compliment about the Manager (me!) haha! I was really only looking for any excuse to my on my Dad's old kilt! Haha! Good fun!

You mentioned the plates trash generated in Breakfast. Yes, there are a lot of plates, bowls, etc...that are thrown out each day, but you might be happy to hear that all of our Breakfast plates, bowls, knives, forks, etc...are made out of potatoes!! Amazing, isn't it!! These items breakdown very quickly, weeks, not years, and because they are a natural product, they do not harm our environment.

It was a pleasure taking care of your group, and I hope that you all come back and visit us again in the near future!

Thank you for reviewing your stay in our hotel.