“Great Underground Bar”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Nolita
Cross street: Prince & Houston Streets
Transit: 6 to Spring, N, R and Prince, D, F to Broadway/Lafayette.
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This bar is great. The atmosphere is interesting and it is always crowded. despite the fact that it was very crowded, the bartender took great lengths to explain the various differences in vodkas and let my wife taste several before choosing one for a terrific martini.

2  Thank SoonerSteve
There are newer reviews for Pravda

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Went there with friends. Now, we were in many "Russian " or "soviet" inspired places before, that's far from one I would choose again. It's website speaks of martini bars and intimate late night dining: unless you would call dining some frozen appetizers one can get in any chain food store an intimate-I wouldn't go there. This place is so far from "Russian" inspired foods! They couldn't even prepare some staff they advertise ( like chicken Kiev ) offering pizza instead (that is much better in any Italian place) The only nice thing about this place is nicely appointed decorations. Also, as much as I like country music, I don't think that would be a choice for such a place. They make fine martini there, another reason I didn't give less than tree stars. Should I add that after spending some time there for dining, we all went to Russian tea room to actually eat something?

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We went there with friends on a Wednesday night. The place was busy but we could get a table easily and we did not have to shout to get ourselves heard.
There is an eclectic collection of vodka cocktail. I tested a martini with thyme, very refined !
We ordered a large starter platter to share...Followed by blinis with a variety of smoked fish...All went down fast.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

A great evening. Couldnt beat the atmosphere. An underground vodka and caviar bar is the place to be. Free flowing vodka combined with great service made for an excellent evening. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Went there since the Lonely Planet advertised it as close by, great choice! No sign or anything, but 1.5 stories of couches and armchairs with medium-to-loud music - even better cocktails. We had a few, all of which were outstanding! Not cheap though.