“Outstanding art classes around the city”

Lauren A Kaplan Art Tours
Ranked #202 of 596 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Lauren A Kaplan Art Tours provides two unique services:We craft personal, customizable tours of New York's art and architecture for adults and families. Whether you are visiting town and want to see the Metropolitan Museum's greatest hits, or are a New York native seeking an in-depth understanding of the season's most challenging exhibition, we will create the right experience for you.We teach art history classes in New York's museums and galleries, giving you the unique opportunity to deeply engage with particular artists, collections, or eras. Unlike a typical classroom-based course, we teach art history directly from original works of art. Our classes generally meet in the evenings or on weekend afternoons.In all cases, our goal is to blend education with wit and enthusiasm, ensuring a truly memorable experience. In the end, you will not only gain tangible information, but will also become a more savvy lover of culture.
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
“Outstanding art classes around the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

In the spring of 2013, I was fortunate to take an art class with Lauren at MOMA. Since then I have taken many of her classes around the city - at the Met, at the Morgan Library, the Guggenheim, the Brooklyn Museum, the Jewish Museum, and at galleries in Chelsea. The classes are small (fewer than 12 I think), focused on particular topics and do a great job of exploring themes and ideas across different periods of art. They are a wonderful way to explore a favorite or new museum or artist. Lauren provides background and context on the works and artists and uses multimedia to augment her classes - including quotes, photos, and sketching. Some of the classes I have taken have focused on a particular exhibition, while others have looked at permanent collections of museums, while others have highlighted gallery shows. I highly recommend her classes to both visitors to NYC and locals alike. I have learned a lot about artists, their works, museums and exhibitions through my tours with Lauren and they have really enhanced my art appreciation.

Visited February 2014

New Haven, Connecticut
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“An art tour that will appeal to all ages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

This tour has changed how I will visit art museums in NY. Although my husband and I have often engaged a private tour in other countries, it had never occurred to us to do so in NY. From now on we will do it a lot. I knew I wanted to see the Motherwell exhibit at the Guggenheim, but kept hesitating because I knew so little about his art and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to appreciate it. Then I remembered a card I had about Lauren Kaplan art tours and decided to try it. Well, the tour was way beyond my expectations. Lauren has an extraordinary breadth of knowledge about art and architecture, and the tour is lively, interesting and interactive. She has a seemingly bottomless tote bag from which she brought forth photos, video, illustrations, other art which all served to illuminate and heighten the experience. She suggested that while we were there that she also guide us through the Christopher Wool and Kandinsky exhibits - wonderful - and gave us a full background on the very controversial architecture of the Guggenheim museum. Although we were a group of three adults, I want to stress that this would be an ideal way for a family with children to visit an art museum. They would never be bored! From talking with her, we learned that she does a lot of classes and tours with school groups and I'm sure she keeps them totally engaged in the experience.

Visited December 2013
Hartford, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
“class and tour of Balthus Exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

There were about 6 adults in the class or tour of the Balthus exhibit on the Saturday I went. What I really like about the class is that Lauren brings all of the participants into the conversation. While no one is forced to speak, by the middle of the two hour session, everyone was giving their views and opinions. Lauren started showing us works of artists from the renaissance era which Balthus studied in art school. We went to several galleries for background before going to the Balthus exhibit. Lauren imparted information on each of Balthus's models and his life at the time he was painting each of the paintings in the exhibit. She used the iPad to show other works and photos of the models and the artist. The time went by very quickly and I have a much better understanding of Balthus now. I want to learn more about the artist since I took the class. The experience was informal, entertaining and educational.

Visited December 2013
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Tour of MET with Lauren Kaplan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We toured the MET with Lauren on 10-18-13. We spent 2 hours with her and she was a complete pro!! She is extremely knowledgeable, articulate, engaging, and fun to be with. Lauren came very prepared with an agenda but was completely open to making sure we got to see what we wanted. I was impressed with her attention to our college age son who is currently in an Art History course and was preparing for a test. She was very helpful to him and interested in what he had studied so far. Our time with her was definitely the way to go through the museum as it is so vast it is hard to know where to start! We would highly recommend Lauren and look forward to visiting again in the future!

Visited October 2013