“How can the prices be so cheap and the food so good?”

The Cottage - Amsterdam Ave & 77th St
Ranked #3,209 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This tiny, busy, unpretentious restaurant is a major find! The prices are so low and the portions are ample and the food delicious. This is a Chinese restaurant though you would never know it from the exterior, interior or the name. The food was so yummy and fresh. FRESH, FRESH, FRESH. The only negative was the waitstaff. The waitstaff was not at all friendly, no smiling, impatient, not pleasant. But it was all worth it for the prices and the food. The food came out quickly too. I can't wait to go back

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is an excellent Chinese restaurant. Fried Dumplings are fresh and crisp. Scallion pancakes light and crisp with there peanut sauce combination great! Wine is served free the box kind I don't drink but if you do have at it. We usually get sesame chicken and ask them to hold the hot spice and shrimp lo mein.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We read about this place on TA and decided to give it a try since it was near our hotel. it was busy and crowded but we only had to wait about 15 mins. The food was fabulous. we got steamed dumplings, sesame chicken, sesame shrimp, general chicken and they were all fresh, hot and delicious. we didn't leave one scrap between the 4 of us.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

It's a very small, tight space especially with a group of 9 and we were seated at two separate tables. The lunch special was a good price; the food was average. The wonton soup was tasteless, but the wontons were o.k. The meal was decent overall. Service wasn't the greatest. They definitely cater to families since we had a huge group of 2-3 families sitting next to us with kids. They seemed to do a brisk delivery business during the lunch hours.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

I have always enjoyed my meals at the cottage. It's a little hole in the wall locals only seem to know about. The only thing holding me back from giving them five stars is that when they first opened they gave a bottomless complimentary carafe of wine for the table. It is just chablis but I found the last few times I've gone I've had to remind them, and even then it was far from bottomless.