“Great food, fast service, though sometimes they skimp on the wine.”

The Cottage - Amsterdam Ave & 77th St
Ranked #2,849 of 14,208 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I have always enjoyed my meals at the cottage. It's a little hole in the wall locals only seem to know about. The only thing holding me back from giving them five stars is that when they first opened they gave a bottomless complimentary carafe of wine for the table. It is just chablis but I found the last few times I've gone I've had to remind them, and even then it was far from bottomless.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Small chinese restaurant, fast service, does lots of take-out. Good !!! quick !!! cheap !!!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

We used to enjoy this restaurant, the operative phrase being "used to".Food was tasty,featuring Chinese and Thai dishes,though service had always been awful, but we put up with bad service for the taste of the food.In the last year, despite the" A" rating in the window, all four of us have found something in our food. A few months ago,I found three hairs which clearly were not my own, in my soup.,On our next visit,two of us crunched on something hard and white in color, more like a lobster shell in hardness, than an eggshell.(None of our meals contained either lobster or egg.)
We thought we'd give it another try a week ago.Food was good,and without incident.After the meal,we ordered the House Special Soup , to take home.We always order this soup and are quite familiar with it.Soup was still hot when we got home and I ladled some into a bowl.Very small, slightly transparent,white-ish worm-like bugs were in the soup. I poured the entire container into a bowl, to check it, and there were about a dozen worms in it.
Yesterday, we passed The Cottage and I discreetly told the manager who we know for years,about the soup incident.I told her that we had no idea if the bugs came from the food or from the takeout container the soup was packed in, but thought that they should know about it .She apologized.
The Cottage serves a carafe of wine gratis when you dine in.I am quite certain that this may be a draw for many, but the wine is nothing special,the food in the last year is greasy and the fact that we have found things in our food that ought not be there is enough for us never to return.

1  Thank newyorknatives
Reviewed November 9, 2011

It's just one bloack away from out hotel and we have visited it during our four stay in NYC. The price are reasonable though the taste is a bit 'not so chinese'. Staff are friendly and efficient. However, there is lots people line up which makes u can't finish ur meal quietly.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

The food here is really good. It's also inexpensive $10-12 an entree. They also have complimentary wine. It is very cramped and there is always a line! but that's the fun. It makes you have to talk to the people at the table next to you.