“High Tea in NYC”
Review of The Pembroke Room

The Pembroke Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pembroke Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,671 of 14,032 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Madison and Park Avenues
Transit: F train to Lexington Avenue-63rd Street and N, R & W trains to 5th Avenue.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My friends and I had a lovely afternoon at the Lowell. First the doorman and others were very helpful(since I have mobility issues). There are 3 stairs,so it's not wheelchair accessible. There is an elevator to the Pembrook Room. The room is elegant,and classy. The wait staff was very attentive. We had the Classic Tea($44.00). There were multiple choices of teas, and they were not in tea bags!!The tea was strained for every cup. The 3 tier tray had finger sandwiches(turkey,cucumber,salmon with a little caviar,lobster salad,and deviled quail egg). The second tier had small tarts and napoleons, the top tier had petit fours, and macaroons.The waiter brought out scones as we finished the sandwiches. The scones,plain,blueberry,or cranberry. There was devonshire cream,lemon curd,preserves,and marmalade.
The only down side to this trip was that I drove into the city,they had valet service but it was expensive,but since I didn't want to keep looking for parking I went with the valet service.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

One of the things that I enjoy is afternoon tea. I have tried many different places have some great experiences, and some horrible ones. The Pembroke afternoon tea will not be going down as one of the best teas, but it will not be added to the list of abominations. Firstly, I have very high expectations with my tea. The Pembroke room is lovely, and the service is very good. The table setting, china, and the ambiance were just lovely. Victor, who served us, was very kind and attentive. The room is located on the second floor, and we arrived at three. There were two tables already filled and the room was almost at capacity the entire time that we enjoyed tea. I ordered the L'Oriental tea and it was delicious. Typically, when I go to tea, the actual tea is okay. I like to try different types besides just sticking to the normal Earl Grey. The L'Oriental was a white tea, that was infused with fruit. It was wonderful, and I recommend it. We were then brought a three tiered tray that had finger sandwiches and desserts. The scones were not on the tray, but Victor brought them out and we selected one. The actual food was okay, not great. I appreciated the variety of sandwiches, and if we had wanted more of any one type it would have been brought out. The scones are my favorite part of afternoon tea, and the ones at the Pembroke were alright. I had a blueberry scone that was good, but it was more of a muffin consistency then a scone. I did not like that the scones were not on our tray, or brought out to our table. I thought that it was odd, that they were given to us like a roll at a fine dinner. Overall I was very pleased, and it was the best tea that I have had in NYC. Unfortunately, it will not be making the list of best afternoon teas from me

4  Thank Anne J
Reviewed September 24, 2013

There are many lovely things about going to tea here. The hotel is on a beautiful, tranquil street. The hotel itself is a small boutique one (at first I walked right past it thinking it was a residence). The Pembroke Room is decorated beautifully, especially the upholstery on the chairs. The service is elegant and understated. I think some people would find it stodgy and old-fashioned, but for the right crowd it is very nice.

The prices are reasonable. Regular tea is $39 per person, while tea with a glass of good-quality Champagne is $49 per person. We got excited when we saw lobster listed under the sandwich selection, until we saw how miniscule the portion was (more about that in the next paragraph).

The tea tray consisted of teeny-tiny sandwich "bites" on the bottom tier, and ultra-sugary items on the middle and top tiers. Way too much sugar overload, and no offer of refills on the sandwiches. Seriously, they were servings for mice, and the lobster one had about a gram of lobster in it. The worst abomination is how the scones with clotted cream were served. The scones were barely above room temperature when they should have been piping hot, and the clotted cream was served cold and congealed. Proper clotted cream would be served very warm and have the consistency of melting butter. This ruined the whole tea as far as I was concerned. The waiter did keep offering additional scones, but they weren't good enough to warrant seconds.

I have been to many tea's in New York and London, and this just wasn't correctly done. Also on a sunny Sunday afternoon, there were only three other parties in the restaurant during the entire tea serving, so it wasn't vibrant and buzzy either. Unfortunately, not a superlative tea experience.

4  Thank shell202020
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I absolutely, love this place! I celebrated my birthday, August 12, 2013 at the Pembroke Room. I love afternoon tea and was looking for something upscale, elegant with impeccable service; the Pembroke’s Afternoon Tea delivered. When I travel, if offered, I will have the afternoon tea in the country that I am visiting. So far, my favorite was the Afternoon Tea served at the Peninsula Hotel, in Hong Kong. Until the Pembroke.

The Tea is served in its own room . The décor is charming; a touch of old world elegance. The waiters were extremely attentive and the service was impeccable. We adored our server, Brandon. In fact we took pictures with him to commemorate the celebration. The food was delicious! We loved the deviled quail eggs and the lobster salad. However, the star of the Tea for all of us was the scones! Yummy with a capital Y. We also loved the fact that we were able to have a leisurely Tea without feeling rushed out.

I will definitely go again and again! Thanks Brandon for making us feel special!!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

An elegant and old world spot for a breakfast meeting or afternoon tea, far from the madding crowd, with everything well appointed. It's about whipped cream, chintz and overstuffed cushions -- think elegant indulgence with white gloved kind of service, a cross between the Ritz and Orient Express, and a very slight innuendo of mustiness, evoking nostalgic homeliness reminiscent of one's grandmother. If you're lucky the hotel manager may stop by to chat. He's a real delight and just what you imagine a polished hotel manager to be.

1  Thank Peter R