“too much noise”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Between Park and Madison
Transit: 63rd St and Lexington Ave. F,4,5,6 58th St and Lexington Ave. N,R
Description: The Post House offers outstanding steakhouse cuisine in a warm, welcoming dining room with rich, clubby decor and polished service. Fresh salads, crabcakes, or tiered-presentation seafood bouquets are a wonderful way to begin any meal. In addition to a selection of top-quality steaks as main courses, the menu also includes several delicious seafood options, including lobsters served broiled or steamed. A selection of side dishes, including Onion Rings, Grilled Vegetables, and Hash Browns complete the meal. Given the menu's breadth, it is no surprise that the wine list includes over 300 international selections and has been distinguished with a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence and the Wine Enthusiast Restaurant Award. Another one of the highlights of dining at The Post House is ending the meal with a selection from the dessert cart, where including house favorites such as Frozen Creme brulee with Coconut Tuile, Toasted Pecan Tart, and Rustic Chocolate Cake.
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Bad acoustics. Too much noise. Too expensive. Part of a high end group and they've never gotten this one right. Pass.

1  Thank doug100worth

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Post House is a 5 star steak house (with great lobster!!!!). It's expensive but it's one of my favorite places for lunch. The atmosphere is lovely. The tables are not close together so it's a quite place to sit and talk. AND the food is amazing. The prime rib (the smaller one) is enormous, the lobster salad is wonderful, the steaks are great. The service is excellent.
It's on East 63rd Street….very classy.
AND, it's relaxing enough so that you don't feel you have to dress up "fancy"!!!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This place is outstanding and the wait staff knows what they are talking about. I know it is difficult to get excited about a Wedge Salad but once you try the one at the Post House your expectations in the future will change. All the food was excellent but this Wedge was exceptional to any I have ever had.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have been going to Post House for around 30 years. This was my favorite restaurant--you could not find a better steak in NY, great seafood (including gargantuan lobsters) and great atmosphere. Something has happened in the past year, and it is not good! In the last four visits I have ordered filet mignon (twice) and the bone-in sirloin (twice). Each time I made clear I liked my steaks very rare, but with a warm (not cold) center. This request had always been accomodated to perfection in the past. However, in the last four visits the steaks were dry, obviously overcooked, unseasoned and of poor quality. The filets used to be juicy and tender and savory. No more. The sirloins used to be well-marbled, juicy and tender. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. They have been consistently tough as leather and tasteless. Most of the waiters and all of the greeters remain great. But something has gone terribly wrong in the kitchen. If this happened just one time I would view it as just an off night. But four strikes in a row indicates that this giant of a restaurant has fallen off its pedestal. This is a real shame. I do hope they fix the place.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

On a hot August Saturday night it wasn't very busy. We were first directed to a table right near the serving station and since there were many empty tables we asked for another table. That was quickly provided. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu having worked there for many years. All of his suggestions were delicious and he also steered us right on selecting a wine withing the price range we established. When we ordered onion rings, he suggested we just get half an order as the portions were "quite large". Even the half order was more than we could eat. The rib eye steaks were huge and my dining partner had the speciality : cajun crusted rib eye which she declared possible the best steak she's ever had. That's high praise from someone who has eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world. My chocolate cake was very good as was her coconut layer cake.
I did think that $55.50 was a bit on the high side for steak.

1  Thank marian0286