“Can't go to New York City without visiting John's”

John's of Bleecker Street
Ranked #165 of 14,527 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: West Village
Description: John's of Bleecker Street is a historic pizzeria founded in 1929 by Italian immigrant John Sasso. It serves quintessentially New York coal-fired pizza, famous for its perfect brick-oven baked crust and zesty tomato sauce. John's is still family owned and operated, and boasts such celebrities as Conan O'Brien, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Danny DeVito. In 2016, it was voted #2 in America in the nationwide poll conducted by MSN.
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We have been going to John's as long as I can remember going to the Big Apple. The food is very good and the staff are charming. The décor is quirky, the wine choice is limited but it is an experience just visiting. An example of their charm is when we were a party of six and ordered six salads. The waiter said "I can bring you six but you don't need them. I'll bring you three and you can see how you go". That's memorably unusual in NYC but very memorable!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,529)

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Normally crowded, you may have to wait in line at any time. It is not fancy and you shouldn't go there if you are looking for comfort. Now if you looking for a great pizza and a authentic local experience, that is the place. Cash only!

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Pizza is good but nothing wow. A pie of cheese cost $16.50 and they only accept cash but they have an atm by the bathrooms. You can find a very similar pizza sold by slices in Parcys.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We took our friends from Texas here, and they LOVED this pizza. I was born and raised in NYC, and this is my favorite pizza. Yes, it is true that the seats aren't the most comfortable, but you aren't sitting for hours at a time. When that hot, delicious pizza with fresh garlic and basil hits the table with an iced cold pitcher of beer...omg. It's like you died and went to heaven! In my opinion, there is nothing worse than thick, gloppy, doughy crust-- John's creates a masterpiece of Pizza Pie..with a thin crush smothered with perfectly seasoned sauce, and just the right amount of cheese. MOLTO BENE! I would caution...they can get busy, and I because the crust is so thin, I have had (over all the years I've been going there) had to return 2 pies that I thought were 'too well done', and there was never a problem ...still, this is AMAZING, AUTHENTIC NYC PIZZA!! The cheese they use, the sauce they make...brick oven cooked, generally to perfection...doesn't get better!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

It's reputation precedes it, but the pizza was think and scantily clad. I think it's riding on its past glory. And the seats are very uncomfortable.