“Very good pizza”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: West Village
Description: John's of Bleecker Street is a historic pizzeria founded in 1929 by Italian immigrant John Sasso. It serves quintessentially New York coal-fired pizza, famous for its perfect brick-oven baked crust and zesty tomato sauce. John's is still family owned and operated, and boasts such celebrities as Conan O'Brien, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Danny DeVito. In 2016, it was voted #2 in America in the nationwide poll conducted by MSN.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The pizza at John's was really good and we enjoyed the experience. It wasn't the best pizza We had in NY though; that was from a deli called Carve. They do a great cherry soda too!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This place survives on its reputation from decades ago. There are a plethora of better NY Neapolitan style pizzas in Manhattan and Brooklyn. We have been a couple of times and were disappointed in its comparison to other pizza places. Their pizza is mediocre compared to other pizzerias. For one thing, a traditional NY Neapolitan style pizza does not have a hard crust bottom. These pizzas are supposed to be more limp and not hard. If you are a tourist in Manhattan there are a number of superior pizza places. Just go online and check the ratings first. In fact, there are better pizzas within walking distance of John's.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great pie, (NO SLICES), in the Village. We just had a pepperoni and some cokes and it was, as always, fantastic.. Lots of pics of celebrities who've dined there on the walls, lots of grafitti. A neighborhood mainstay. If you like good NYC pizza, try John's.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Love the sauce, love the crust. Best pizza I've ever eaten. Quick service, even though very busy on a Saturday night. Prices are very reasonable for NYC. Lots of atmosphere, and it looked like a lot of families and locals were eating, so always a good choice. This will be the first restaurant I visit when I return.

It would be nice if they'd take credit cards, other than that, no complaints.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I love NY style pizza, and this is *the* best I have ever had. I make a point of coming to the West Village every time I visit NYC just to eat here.

I found this place based on a pizza blog where one guy reviewed every pizza in NYC (not sure if it's okay to reference the blog name here, but a quick internet search should turn it up if you're curious.) I have tried a few of his top reviews, and I think this place wins hands down.

The crust has a beautiful brick oven char, and it is the perfect combination of crispy and chewy when you bite into it. I prefer cheese only, so I can't speak to the other toppings, but the cheese quantity was just right. I also shared a salad with my brother last time I was there, and it was a nice size for two people to share.

The booths are tiny, and if you come in summer, it can be a little warm inside. The service was civil, not the warm and fuzzy type, but that is okay because 1) the pizza is so awesome I could care less as long as it shows up at my table, and 2) this is an authentic NY pizza place, what kind of "service" are you expecting?

I recall that the restaurant is cash only, and a little more expensive than some other pizza joints, but I've definitely seen worse prices in NYC. They don't serve individual slices, but you'll want to buy extra to take home anyway!