“Great pizza”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: West Village
Description: John's of Bleecker Street is a historic pizzeria founded in 1929 by Italian immigrant John Sasso. It serves quintessentially New York coal-fired pizza, famous for its perfect brick-oven baked crust and zesty tomato sauce. John's is still family owned and operated, and boasts such celebrities as Conan O'Brien, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Danny DeVito. In 2016, it was voted #2 in America in the nationwide poll conducted by MSN.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

John's served up a great thin crust brick oven pizza for our party of 2. The pizza arrived quickly. The crust was beautiful, the sauce was juicy and the toppings nicely done. The service was prompt and our waiter was attentive. We ordered the small pizza and overate trying to finish it all! 2 suggestions: John's should note names of waiting customers rather than have them stand in a queue. Restrooms are smelly/dirty.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,587)

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Total yummy Pizza, on the coolest street in New York City. There can be a wait but the Pizza and atmosphere is worth it.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I always order a plain cheese pizza when trying a new pizza place, and John's was GREAT! Thin crust, slightly sweet sauce, and perfect amount of cheese. You cannot order slices, must order a whole pizza (comes in different sizes), but it is definitely affordable and worthwhile. I have been recommending it to everyone! Can't wait to go back. Very casual atmosphere with wooden booths that have lots of initials etc carved into them. Nice place to bring the kids.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had looked this place up online before my trip to NYC, and there were articles where people were touting this place to have THE best pizza in NYC. After reading this I said to myself I have to go check this place out! So after a $25 cab ride I get there and order a pizza, pizza finally comes and boy what a disappointment it was! I think the pizza was mediocre at best, I don't know maybe I caught them on a bad day but that pizza definitely was not worth all the effort to go there! If you're thinking of going here do yourself a favour and just go to Domino's or Pizza Hut instead!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I guess you can lump us into the undiscerning (at least according to the few who fancy themselves pizza experts) 85% who love this place. Great pie, friendly and attentive service and, if you show up before 7pm, no line.
Clearly as good or better than Grimaldi's without the hour- plus lines. And John's does not try to hustle you out.
Cash only policy is clearly stated before you enter, if you care to look.