“GO SEE THIS!!!!!!”

A Night with Janis Joplin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed November 8, 2013

It is amazing how much Mary Bridget Davies sounds like Janis Joplin. Having never got the chance to see Janis in person, we now feel like we did - she is that awesome! We also found the rest of the cast equally awesome - these are some very talented musicians. Some of the songs the gals sang brought tears to my eyes. It is truly the best show we have seen in New York (and we've been to quite a few - course, we liked Janis Joplin). We went around back to get her autograph and were surprised there weren't more fans there - maybe because it's all the way around the other side of the block. Mary was really nice to talk to and very obliging signing our poster and posing for a quick picture. We also had time to talk with some of the band - great bunch of guys. It's a nice theatre - the accoustics are great and the show is just plain awesome!!! We sat in the 4th row from the stage, dead center - sweet!!! Just a tip - get your tickets at telecharge and you will save some money. (I saved $100.00) Made the trip sweeter yet.

3  Thank MadforMaui

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a fantastic show! Anyone in his or her 50s or 60s definitely will feel that they are at a rock concert of their younger years! Mary Bridget Davies as Janis seems to possess her soul and voice. The other cast members and the band are wonderful, also. My husband and I had seats in the front right orchestra (when facing the stage) which we thought would to make it hard to see--BUT as "Janis" sat to talk to the audience, she was right in front of us! We felt a part of the show. I think she received three standing ovations DURING the show. We left the theater feeling as if we had been at an old fashioned "revival"--in a great mood! This is one of the BEST shows I have ever seen on Broadway--and I have seen MANY shows in my ?? years! If you enjoyed Janis Joplin, you will enjoy this show even more!

2  Thank K S
Reviewed November 3, 2013

A night at the theater is always a great thing and this night was made much sweeter by the performance by Mary Bridget Davies. A great voice, great songs, great movements and the obvious blues in her soul allowed us to believe we were seeing Janis!! Thanks for that Mary D.

If you love Janis, loved/liked her music or enjoy discovering new things about the famous folk you've heard of but don't know much about then I encourage you to get tickets and enjoy the show.

I still have Janis's music resonating in my head ... and a few bars keep escaping out my mouth too ..lol.

4  Thank Maureen M
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife and I have always enjoyed Broadway plays and love the sound of Andrew Loyd Weber and the other well known writers. I am a big Janis Joplin fan and my wife got me the tickets as a Christmas present...she did not care too much for Janis and went wth me reluctantly..the tickets are getting difficult to obtain so she had to take these in early November rather than our preferred time of January or February. Needless to say, after seeing this play, she is converted.
We saw the play with Kacee Clanton, the alternate as Janis. I cannot imagine that the regular "Janis" could possibly have performed any better. This woman's speaking voice is a double for Janis', her singing is superb, and her acting had me believing that I was listening to someone telling me about a personal experience, as she recounts Janis Joplin's past. There was one song that she performed that had me wondering how she could go on, as it had emotonally drained me, I could feel her pouring her heart into the song. This was far better than "Jersey Boys", even though that was really good.

Let's not forget about the band...the instrumentals were just like listening to Big Brother and the Holding Company.

Another dimension of this play was how Janis was influenced by several female black singers. These singers are personified and these women steal your sould with their performances.

There is one number at the end of the first act that has Janis singing with "Aretha Franklin" and the other black lady performers, with the band going full blast that brings every one in the house to their feet clapping hands and dancing.

Another nice part of this is that the Lyceum Theater is a Landmark building that seems to be kept a little bit cleaner than most Broadway Theaters...they are all old, but this one seems to get a little more attention to maintenance and housekeeping.

Superlatives are the only expressions to properly define the greatness of this production...I saw Janis Joplin in the '60s...this took me right back ...I hope it plays on Broadway for a long time...we both want to see it again.

1  Thank MARKLI
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is an outstanding show. The cast, from the lead to the backup singers to the band, was incredible. Thinking about going again. The crown went wild throughout the show ans the final act in act one and also in act two were phenomenal. Tickets sometimes are discounted on TDF tor Theatermania. Mary Bridget Davies will get the Tony for best singer

2  Thank nycresident92