“No no no!!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Don't go here!
Went here because we'we seen it on "Bizarre foods America" and had high expectations. We ordered a combo grill (ca. $73 for 2 persons) and got served a diversity of small plates together with meat, fish and scampi witch was grilled at the table.
First: it was kind of dirty (the table&plates + I witnessed when the waiter cleaned the table before we sat down, he just "swoped" the leftovers from the people sitting there before us down in the hole in/under the table were they put the grill. Not ok at all.
Second: the waiter put the food on the grill, mixed vegetables/fish/meat, forgot it, burnt it, so we had to turn and fix it ourselves. Yes, the restaurant was full, but still...(must say one og the elderly lady waitressed was sweet but
clearly overworked.)
Third: the taste on the food was suprisingly tasteless for korean food. (Yes, I've etaten it many times before.)
Four: they charged my creditcard with the check from another table, then wanted me to sign a receipt that showed that they had deleted/voided the payment, witch I didn't wanted to do. Then, when they brougt me the correct check and I didn't added ant tip (why would i?) they said it was minimum 10% tip and that I had to add it. At the time I was not in a mood to argue and just did it an left asap. Still don't know if they managed to delete the first payment.
Ok. This restaurant has to do something with themselves if they want to stay in business.
Until they do, stay away.

1  Thank Murisify
There are newer reviews for New Wonjo Restaurant

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Delicious Korean bbq in a fairly casual environment. With the combos, you can't go wrong. The meat is delicious and prepared in front of you on a charcoal grill. The sides are also very good and go well with the meat. The raspberry wine was also delicious and super complimentary to the food. Service was quick and efficient.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

If you are a glass half-full type of person - the food is AMAZING. And it goes beyond the barbeque to the jigaes and other dishes. And seriously, where else but K-town can you get awesome Korean grub at midnight.

Now...if you are glass half empty - the service is awful. Not only will the waitresses mostly ignore you once you have placed the order. Their is one whose only apparent job is to chase down those who she feels have not left enough of a tip. We saw this twice while my wife and I were there - it was a bit comforting to now she could actually move with purpose after watching her at other times move like a disinterested sloth - but sprinting after someone to get a dollar or two more is C-R-A-Z-Y....to do it twice is probably a sign of a deeper issue with her and or the establishment in general.

If you go...you will get good Korean food...and you should be prepared for a berating if you dare leave less than 20% tip.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

If you want good Korean food without any regard to service, friendliness or professionalism, than New Wongo is the place for you.

From the moment our party of 4 were rushed to our table upstairs, all they did was try to rush out in and out quickly. We ordered drinks and told them we needed some time with the menu. After another attempt from the staff to force us to order, I told them we're not in a rush (I have respect for restaurants wanted to turn over tables but there was no need to rush us in our first 5 minutes at the table).

Then, when we ordered from the menu, they looked at us in disgust when we didn't order any BBQ. The server was on her earpiece talking to whoever was the keeper of decisions and were were told that if we didn't order from the BBQ we had to go downstairs to a different table. We found it funny that there were severe large parties around us that weren't using their BBQ...and those parties didn't seem to be rushed. We then decided to order a BBQ course...but then were told that unless we ordered two BBQ entries, the BBQ order would just come out cooked from the kitchen. OMFG. It was the most frustrating mea I've had in a long time.

We didn't end up ordering BBQ and did have some delicious spicy pancakes, bim bim bop and squid stew. The food was good.....no question about that...but the lack of any type of service, compassion, or flexibility on New Wongo's part made the experience one of the worst. There are many good places in Koreatown and I look forward to trying all of the others before I step foot in this place

1  Thank Michael R
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Because the original Korean restaurant we intended to go was packed in the same block, we decided to go to New Wonjo as a second choice and it was the right choice. The service is excellent and very efficient. The host gave us a menu to look at while we were waiting. By the time we sat on the table, the food was ready. I would definitely come back to this Korean restaurant again for the excellent service and ambiance.