“Great Korean Food”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Went here after a night of drinking and ended up eating here. Service is great and is a two story restaurant. We had order the dumplings, squid, and Korean pancake. Everything was great and could not complain!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Our family loves Korean food, especially Korean BBQ.
So...on a rainy day in NYC, we decided to have our brunch here after “peeking” into some nearby restaurants on same street, since we were discouraged by somewhat aggressive welcome. But the hostess here didn’t scare us away ;-)

Fortunately, the hostess agreed to give us the best table of the house upstairs which offered the best view of the street.

We were most impressed with:
1. The ventilation system is the first of its kind that we ever seen though we have had Korean food almost everywhere we travel. It appears modern and we know it worked effectively. On a rainy afternoon, highly moist, four of us pretty much hugged around this steamy hot charcoal BBQ with lot of food and our clothes were fine after the delicious meal.

2. Charcoal BBQ: this is yet another first ever during our years of enjoying Korean food spreading from East coast NYC, Toronto, to West coast: Orange County or San Francisco. We were delighted!

3. Grilled, cut, and served by waitress. At first, we had our reservations thinking this serving style may be too intrusive to our space, but we were quickly and pleasantly surprised of how this had added to our dining experience. It was like the best of both worlds: having the best quality charcoal professionally grilled BBQ, and focusing on our conversation and dining enjoyment.

Strongly recommended!

1  Thank pdn1212
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were looking at the menu posted outside and a women sitting there said is was one of the few restaurants in Manhattan that she kept coming back to. We decided to give it a try and it was very good. We got the BBQ with fish, meat and seafood which they cook on a grill in the middle of the table and serve with a large variety of side dishes. It was all very tasty. The only negative was that the glasses did not look well washed which always gives me pause.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

I never tried Korean food in my life, so it was my first one.

Have to admit that the food is weird but great. I discovered new things I would never have thought of. I was there with 7 friends and we ordered 4 platters (to share at 2) of meat for a BBQ.
The meat was excellent, they put it on the grill in front of you and you can share with the table once it is cooked. The experience is great for a first time and it gives a good atmosphere around the table.

So why only 2 stars, I would have rated this restaurant 4 if the service was not terrible.

Waiters are welcoming at the beginning, even if you have to keep in mind that Korean people are screeming all the time in this restaurant, so you can have a good time with them as they are friendly and outgoing, but they are terribly rushing you at a level that it's totally ruining your evening.

You can't even finish something that they are trying to remove the plate from you. The same thing happened with the bill at the end. From the moment they are giving it to you, they expect a payment in the next 10 seconds and can't even let you take your time and speak with your friends. The waitress was behing me, looking at me signing the bill. These tipically stupid things get me crazy so I just took my time counting and recounting every single bill people put on the table (they gave up after 5 minutes of counting)...

You have to know that only 3 cards to split are allowed (which gets me crazzy as well as people have to get up to go to an ATM).

To sum up, the food was great, but the service is unpleasant. Allow 1 hour and half maximum to your group of people before getting almost kicked out. Don't expect to take your time and enjoy a nice chatting dinner with your friends. That is ununderstandable, as the restaurant was not fully booked (so it is not even to replace us by new customers).

Price is reasonnable: 55 dollars per person for 4 platters of meat (that are really consistent), drinks, service and tips.

1  Thank nicolasnemeth
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We frequent the restaurants in K-Town, although this is not our favorite place it is still great. The bbq here is charcoal and not gas which means when you leave you will still be smelling your food the rest of the night. The banchan is very good, however the kimchi is not the flavor I prefer (maybe was a fresh batch). The service and prices were on par for this area and type of food. Kalbi is great here as well. So if charcoal bbq is your thing stop by Wonjo.