TripAdvisor
New York City
Post
Inbox
Search

“Anniversary to Remember, yes; you can go home again”
Review of The Water Club

The Water Club
Ranked #1,994 of 16,843 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Kips Bay
Cross street: a 23rd Street and FDR Drive, just north of Waterside Plaza and south of 3
Transit: 6 Train to 33rd Street. Walk across 34th Street to the East River (15-20 minutes) Walk South along the river to about 30th St. Pass the heliport and past the parking lot. Or take the M34 crosstown bus to the last stop at the east river. Walk South along the river to the restaurant.
Description: The Water Club offers classic American cuisine of the highest caliber, specializing in seafood, and breathtaking views of Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Queensboro Bridge. In the summer, join us at our rooftop bar, The Crow's Nest.
Reviewed March 19, 2017

On the Ides of March my husband and I returned to the scene of the crime. We were married at the Water Club years before Hurricane Sandy did her worst and the restaurant had to close. Needless to say, we were thrilled when the Water Club reopened and decided it was where we wanted to celebrate again 30 years later. This year it was a frigid night after Winter Storm Stella so different from the unseasonably warm, balmy day we said "I do". It was so beautiful that our photos were taken on the upper deck.
This year it was very quiet; in fact we were alone with our guests, another couple, having drinks in the bar huddled by the fireplace. To be fair it was a school night, Wednesday; not a big night to dine out.
Dinner and service were just superb; there were several other tables all celebrating birthdays. When the restaurant first opened; it was very difficult to get a reservation. Years later, it was still a destination event place but the food at other times was nothing special and the decor became tired.
It is and always was a wonderful place for a wedding or a party; but it is once again a charming place for a quiet dinner.
I only hope others will remember this jewel and come back to enjoy the new and freshly restored Water Club!
You can be sure we will will be back.

1  Thank CathyVIII
Write a reviewReviews (226)

Reviewed March 19, 2017 via mobile

My daughter was in New York for St Patrick's Weekend with her partner celebrating her birthday. My sister and I wanted her to celebrate the event in a special way. I live in Ireland and with the help of Debbie Ulloa we were able to make the celebration a special one. This is my daughter's email to us after the meal, she says it all...

What an amazing restaurant, the view, the food, the staff everything!

Haven't had the best experience of New York this time which is upsetting but it was all things that were out of our hands BUT by god did the restaurant make up for a lot!!

We started off with oysters followed by lobster bisque for me and crab cakes for Freddy. The bisque was so full of flavour but not overly fishy or anything, Freddy's crab cakes were purely crab and not just potatoes with a bit of crab and came with this really nice salsa.

For our mains I had Tuna with Bok Choy and mushrooms the tuna was rare and coated in sesame seeds and Freddy got this amazing Mediterranean Sea bass which fell apart in your mouth but had a lovely crispy skin to compliment it, that came with a butter caper and diced tomato sauce with grilled asparagus.

We got mashed potatoes and spinach to share too. They prepared the mash at the side of the table which I thought was so cool but strange as I've never seen mash prepared at the side of the table I though they were going to boil the potatoes and mash them and everything beside us.!!

For desert we just had a berry sorbet because neither of us could fit in anything else!!

We had a bottle of Riesling too which was really nice. The staff were so friendly and attentive.

When they brought the dessert out they put a HUGE sparkler in it and snapped a picture on one of these cameras that print the pictures straight away !!

The restaurant view was just spectacular, we stayed literally until the very end, we just didn't want to leave!!

Thank you both so much again it really was an amazing meal!!

Reviewed March 14, 2017

We had anniversary reservation at the water club based on a recommendation. Made the reservation a month prior and asked for a water view table. When we arrived the restaurant we were shown to the dining room and put at a back table. Since most of the water view tables we asked to be moved. We were told all tables are reserved. Since I made a reservation a month prior with specifically asking for it - obviously, they didn't really care. After insisting - we were told we can wait outside. After waiting for an hour outside and watching the tables remain empty we were showed back in. I wasn't sure why but the whole pretentious behavior was a huge put off..
Unfortunately, despite the high end look of the restaurant, the food tastes more like cafeteria food. The water club seems more gears toward banquets and events rather than a real restaurant.
Service was slow and inattentive and we were happy to be out of there.
Considering the many dining choices around - we won't be back and would recommend against this place.

4  Thank HighTechTraveller
Reviewed February 13, 2017

It's been a number of years since I have been to The Water Club, and it will be a long time before I return. The restaurant is still beautiful and the service is great -- friendly and attentive. The problem is the food -- it's totally gone downhill. The fried calamari was weirdly oversalted (which I have never before encountered). And when two of us ordered the Linguine Fra Diavolo, the waiter warned us that it was spicy -- the problem was that it was entirely bland -- there was not a red pepper flake in sight, it wasn't especially garlicky, and it was just disappointingly bland. The desserts were a bright spot, however, and all of them, including the bananas and strawberries flambe (in a great presentation at the table) were outstanding. Here's the problem -- it is really expensive, just as expensive as much better seafood restaurants in the city, so you feel a little ripped off. It reminded me of the late, unlamented, Tavern on the Green, which was similarly relying on its location rather than the food. And The Water Club is unlikely to change at this point -- the dinner crowd is pretty much bridge and tunnel at this point, and they are not the most demanding diners (last night's diners seemed to be unusually drunk and loud, in fact).

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank James1585
Reviewed December 25, 2016 via mobile

The Water Club always always the best best Christmas Eve menu lamb was wonderful scallops were better and the company was fantastic service is always the best the best

Date of visit: December 2016