“My favorite afghan”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant in NYC. I visit the city several times a year and this is my favorite place. The chicken breast kabab is amazing. The green chutney - I typically finish two jars myself. Portions are good and the prices reasonable. Definitely a repeat.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was on a 2 week trip to the states. During the last leg at new york i was missing food from back home so thought to visit an afghan restaurant which is Halal. Chose this place but was dissappointed.

Half of the menu was indian/pakistani food. Almost everything was rice based dishes (no naan). The Kabuli Pulao looked like kabuli pulao but was certainly not kabuli pulao by taste. The meat in the pulao was tender but it seemed to be boiled separately and not cooked along with the main dish itself. I could have rather ordered boiled meat and eaten that instead.

The decor and songs of Ahmad Zahir was nice though. Price was also expensive. Equivalent syrian and lebanese restaurants give you twice the serving for the same price.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We did not know exactly what to expect from an Afghan restaurant, but considering the geography we were not surprised to find the cuisine very similar to Indian or Pakistani food. The lamb tikka kebab was cooked just right, not too rare but still a little pink in the middle, tender and moist. The brown basmati rice flavored with carrot, raisin, whole cardamom pods, almonds and spices was a nice accompaniment. The salad served with the meal was nothing special, but the yogurt based dressing was very nice.

My wife had the spinach and lamb stew served with basmati rice, but without the additional flavorings. We weren't sure why they served two very similar rice dishes, but in the end we thought it was a great complement to the well seasoned and flavored sauce the lamb was stewed in.

Hell's Kitchen is full of great small eateries, and this was a good example. This restaurant is very small, like many other great little places in the city, and we continue to be amazed at the quality of the food and service in these little gems.

Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Dropped in on the strength of Rough Guide mention and previous TripAdvisor reviews. Not disappointed - service low key but friendly and conversational, nice ambience and good food. Samusa and lamb in particular were excellent. Menu selection is small but effective with good range of meat and vegetarian dishes. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

My son and I ended up here after waiting too long at another place. We walked right in, service was great, atmosphere was nice and service was personal and outstanding. First time for Afghani food and we are both fans now!